Reality kicking in | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Reality kicking in Reality kicking in

Unread 01-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Reality kicking in

I am scheduled for my hysterectomy tomorrow. I am having the davinci Lash w/ R ovary removal, possible L if something is wrong. I have a long history of endometriosis and fibroids. The magnesium citrate is in, and nothing is happening. It's been almost 3 hours? I am now not only awaiting its arrival, but I am now starting to freak out that my surgery is tomorrow morning. I am questioning if I'm doing the right thing. My mom died of breast cancer 5 years ago and she was the one that would always let me know that everything will be ok. Should I be worried that the MC hasn't worked yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2012, 04:54 PM
Re: Reality kicking in

No it takes longer for some. Mine was six hours before it kicked in and once it did I wished it hadnt. I was also told if it didnt to have a fleets enema on hand so I could use that. If your hysterectomy is in your best interest...you are doing the right thing. We are here for support whenever you need it.

Good luck
Tracy
Unread 01-23-2012, 04:57 PM

I am so sorry that you are feeling so alone right now. It's hard enough to face such a major surgery, but it's even more difficult when you are reminded that the person whom you trusted to help you stay OK is not here to be with you through it. I hope that you find some support here, and that you are able to also get support in your life.

The doctors who prescribe things like calcium citrate are well aware of how long it may take to work. Don't panic about it, things will progress as they are meant to.

If you aren't certain about the reasons that you agreed to the surgery, then you need to talk with your doctor about it. However, if your question is asked because you need some reassurance that everything will be all right, then I hope you can allow yourself to let go of some of the fear and anxiety that has probably been gripping you. If you go through the many threads in this forum, you will see that most of us have had to wrestle with fear and anxiety as the scheduled date approaches.

I was totally freaked out the day before my surgery. I, too, had a long history of endometriosis, and I was recently diagnosed with fibroids. What I can tell you is that, now that the surgery is behind me, I feel better than I have in years. I had a really good recovery, my pain was minimal and well managed, and I was very quickly able to do almost everything I wanted to. I followed my doctor's orders regarding lifting restrictions and sex, and followed by body's messages regarding rest.

I hope this helps. I wish you well tomorrow. I'll be thinking about you. Let us know how you made out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2012, 05:15 PM

Thank you all. I guess I'm just having a "I miss my Momma" ..I have fabulous sisters and a wonderful father, I guess I'm just missing her. In my head, I know I am doing the right thing, with the surgery being tomorrow, I'm guess I'm just having the whole anxiety thing...will I wake up etc.
I know I'm being silly..
Unread 01-23-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kygardening View Post
Thank you all. I guess I'm just having a "I miss my Momma" ..I have fabulous sisters and a wonderful father, I guess I'm just missing her. In my head, I know I am doing the right thing, with the surgery being tomorrow, I'm guess I'm just having the whole anxiety thing...will I wake up etc.
I know I'm being silly..
Not being one bit silly! Being totally human, and would we really have it any other way? Of course you are missing your momma! Having a hysterectomy is such a "womanly" thing, we want to be supported by the women we trust.

I am so glad to hear that you have a supportive family. Waking up when it is all over will be waking up to the reality, not the many "what ifs" than run through our heads before the surgery. My reality was so much better than everything I put myself through beforehand.

Keep us posted as to how you make out.
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:30 PM

Good luck! I also lost my mom and I wish I could hear, "It's going to be ok."
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:40 PM

I am sure you put way too much thought into your decision to be second guessing. I know you are feeling emotional, and we've been there too. Give yourself permission to feel however you want, you are the one going through this. Just keep in mind that this time tomorrow it will be behind you and you will feel such a weight lifted. Everything good to look forward to.
Magnesium citrate will do its thing, just be patient.
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:47 PM

Magnesium Citrate is a joke for my system. I took a bottle and over 24 hours passed and nothing happened. I had to go to bottle number two. I suffer from constipation unfortunately. I hope you pass something soon so you can relax some before the big day tomorrow.

Hugs
Unread 01-23-2012, 09:30 PM

I totally understand! I lost my mom 3 years ago to ovarian cancer. I miss her terribly and really need her now. I am having a da Vinci on February 17th and taking out everything. I have had a really rough time since last week when the decision was made. I'm scared of surgery (never had it), scared of getting a cancer diagnosis, etc. etc. etc. I can't eat and I'm only sleeping about 3 hours each night. I have a very supportive husband and daughter, but I want my mom! You will do great and feel better when this is behind you. I know I will. I'll be thinking about you. Let us know how you do.
Unread 01-23-2012, 09:40 PM

My TAH surgery is next Friday, and I have my pre-op tomorrow. I'm getting more nervous/scared as the day approaches, too.

I'm going to say what folks are telling me... "hang in there"!

Good luck. <3

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register