To stay or not to stay? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To stay or not to stay? To stay or not to stay?

Unread 01-23-2012, 06:53 PM
To stay or not to stay?

I had my pre op appt today. I was told that my Davinci surgery was to be outpatient. I asked why? I thought you at least spent 1 night. Even do a 23 hour stay. My dr said that 80% of her Davinci patients go home the same night. I have been reading quite a few post on here. I would say almost all of you ladies have spent at least one night or more. She said that I will wake up with no catheter or pain pump. She said that I would probably be in recovery until 9 or so. 9 pm? Does that seem really late to stay in the recovery room? If I am there that long, why not spend the night? Then she said that if I wanted to I could. That when she came in after 5 to check on me that we could reevaluate. Well, now I feel like a big baby for thinking I need to stay since 80% went home. Should I suck it up and leave same day or say that I want to spend the night. I am a planner. I have 4 kids. My youngest is 5. I don't have the luxury to play it by ear. I keep thinking about my DH bringing me home at 9 pm all drugged up. Getting me settled, then turning around to get the kids to bed, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Re: To stay or not to stay?

You are completely reasonable with your concerns. I am surprised you will wake up without a catheter or IV meds. My experience: I had a TVH and was told I would stay one night. When I woke in the morning my RN told me that if I felt ready I could go home that day with Tylenol 3 for pain management. I told her no way was T3 going to suffice and asked for something stronger. I was told that if I felt T3 wouldn't cut it, no problem, stay another night and we'll wean you off morphine and onto T3 and see how you do. So I made the choice to stay another night. My point is don't worry about being perceived as a big baby. This is one time when it's all about YOU and please do what's best for you and your family. I would definitely stay the night in the hospital and rest.
Unread 01-23-2012, 08:47 PM

Sugarandspice is right. Don't worry about being perceived as a big baby. If you need to stay the night, stay the night. And if you are in pain, ask for more or stronger meds. This IS the one time you get to be selfish and demanding

My surgery was very different. I had a TAH BSO, so they hospitalized me for 3 nights. It could have been longer as well.

Good luck...(((Hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2012, 10:27 PM

I agree - who cares if they perceive you as a big baby? You need to do what you need to do to make sure you are feeling okay.

I had my DvH in July and I was only supposed to stay one night. I ended up staying 3. I was set to go home after 2 nights, but that morning I woke up and threw up and was nauseous all day. I couldn't eat anything even with anti-nausea medicine. My doctor left it up to me when I went home and I decided to stay that extra night. I felt MUCH better the following morning.
Unread 01-23-2012, 11:08 PM

I had an LAVH, and I stayed one night. I woke up without a pain pump, but I did have a catheter they pulled 3 hours after arriving in my room. Now as for how I felt I proably would have been fine at home that night but I had a heck of a time peeing. Also getting comfortable was hard I don't think I could have at home. The room was so hot though I almost signed out AMA just to escape the heat. Once they opened a window and found me a fan I was better. Would you be able to plan on spending the night and leave the kids with someone even if you do come home?
Unread 01-23-2012, 11:31 PM

I needed the one night in the hospital after my daVinci. I had reconstruction on my bladder and was very grateful for the pain pump... do what you must to be healthy and if that is one night stay then so be it.
Wishing you the best...
Unread 01-24-2012, 01:32 AM

Polka. I had day surgery. Laparoscopy hyst and both ovaries removed and endo excised. My surgery was at 3, I was in recovery from 5-6:30, back to day surgery....once I realized they were sending me home for sure, I tried to hurry up the process as I had over one hour drive to get home, wanted anaestheic and iv ain meds ghey had given me to still ne working If you go home make sure they give you very good pain relief. I had dilaudid and naproxen. The nurses I have for friends could not believe they would cut a bunch of parts out then send you home.....what if they nicked something.. I know I walked most of the night trying to dissolve the gas. Plus I was too sore to lay down. Husband had to help me get in and out of bed and off couch for first few days, luckily he could be around most of the time the first days. He had to take son to hockey on day 2 so had a friend come and babysit me. The other side to the decision is you will be more comfortable in your own home. And hospitals are great places to pick up infections, which you do not want to get. On other hand, don't try to be a hero....I think if I had a choice I would have stayed for one night at least. I did have my kids stay overnight at grandparents the first night. That helps. It freaked them out a bit to see me so sick and groggy. They adjust easy though. Good luck with your decision, hope this helps. Everyone has different experience, so keep that in mind.
Unread 01-24-2012, 06:31 AM

I am having a partial hysterectomy January 31st using the Da Vinci method as well. My doctor said I would be staying the night. He said he felt it wrong to make women leave so soon after a major surgery like this. If you feel like you want/need to stay overnight, I would express my concerns to your doctor.. Best wishes to you..
Unread 01-24-2012, 03:40 PM

had da vinci on jan. 13th and I'm SO glad I had that night in the hospital. The morphine for pain was a good deal ... I barely remember much of the first night (thank goodness LOL!). I can't imagine going home right after surgery with the just the vicoden or T3.
Unread 01-24-2012, 08:41 PM

Stay!!! Stay the night!!! I am so happy I did!!! Stay!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register