To stay or not to stay? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To stay or not to stay? To stay or not to stay?

Unread 01-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Re: To stay or not to stay?

I could not imagine not having professional nursing care and hospital grade/IV pain meds the first night! I left the next day by lunchtime and that was the absolute earliest I think women should be released after such a major operation.

Regardless of how they get in there, a hysterectomy is still a hysterectomy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2012, 09:31 PM

My MD told me the same thing at my pre-op apt. However, the day of surgery, the OR got behind on cases and I was not taken into the OR until 4:15pm. Right before going in, my MD told me that he was going to go ahead and have me admitted for the night because he DID NOT want me leaving the hospital that late and trying to get home after dark.
I am VERY THANKFUL it worked out that way. I was in A LOT of pain in recovery and throughout the night. I could not imagine being at home and feeling that way. In my opinion, you should stay overnight. There's just less for you to worry about in the hospital. If you are like I was, you'll need that IV pain med.
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:06 PM

Wish they had sent me home shortly after surgery, but had to wait till 5am the next morning (24h - went into hospital at 5am for 10am op) then again the antibiotics they put me on didn't cut it and I got a cuff infection so had to go back into hospital for an IV drop of antibiotics

I was never put on any pain medication what so ever (didn't need it either - doc left notes that if I needed something for them to call her), I woke up as they finished surgery and was getting ready to wheel me into recovery, within half an hour of being in recovery I was bright eyes and bushy tailed and chomping at the bit to get up n get moving - but they wouldn't let me which was SO annoying they at least got me my ipod and book to keep me occupied until I could be assigned a room that they could take me to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2012, 10:25 PM

PLEASE stay the night. I have already posted on this once, but after reading a few more I wanted to comment again.
A few people have said that you would be much more comfortable in you own bed. I agree IF you can get in your bed. The problem I had when I got home was that is was SOOOOO difficult to get in and out of my bed.
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:31 PM

My DVH was just over a year ago and I stayed one night. I am a bit queasy about hospitals and I had never had surgery which required an overnight stay. While I did not sleep deeply, I knew that if something did not feel right, I could rely on the medical staff. My husband stayed in the room with me although I did encourage him to go home but he wanted to make sure I had an advocate in case I needed something but was too groggy to ask for it.

I was ready to go home the following afternoon but they my iron levels were very low and it was tested a couple times before I was released. A year later, the iron levels are still not back to normal but it's a small thing compared to what I had been experiencing prior to surgery.

If there is an opportunity for you to stay overnight and you can be a ease with your surroundings and caretakers, I recommend it. If you decide not to stay overnight, be as prepared as you can for when you get home - for example, if you will need stool softener or iron pills or prescription drugs, get that in advance as 9pm is not the best time for you or anyone accompanying you to be at the local drug store looking for it. You will need your rest.

All the best to you!
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:34 PM

Do what you need to do for YOU! That being said, if you have insurance you may need to check and see if your overnight stay is covered. If the DaVinci is considered an outpatient surgery, your insurance company may not cover your overnight. I myself am uninsured. I'm getting my LAH tomarrow! My surgery is being covered through a great clinic I have in Chicago. However, my overnight stay is not covered and I will be paying out of pocket. Ugh. Something to think about.
Unread 01-25-2012, 03:10 AM

I vote stay!! Worrying about this should not be something on your mind the day of surgery. You should be feeling confident that your needs will be met!

Tina
Unread 01-25-2012, 05:43 AM

I don't know much about the DaVinci method of surgery, but regardless of the method this is still MAJOR surgery and should be treated as such.
To not stay overnight almost trivialises it.
Don't forget that youself when you do get home!
Rest is essential so you heal properly and don't have long term problems

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register