Pre-op tomorrow and suddenly I'm a complete mess - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op tomorrow and suddenly I'm a complete mess Pre-op tomorrow and suddenly I'm a complete mess

Unread 01-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Re: Pre-op tomorrow and suddenly I'm a complete mess

I totally understand your feelings!! My da Vinci surgery is scheduled for February 17th and I am terrified!! I am 60 years old and have NEVER had surgery. I go between being really optimistic and having a complete meltdown. I disolve into tears at any moment (and I'm not a crier). At this point I'm ready to get it over with. I will be thinking about you, I know you will do well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2012, 04:16 PM

Thanks for all of the support. My meeting with my surgeon was today. He told me that I will have my surgery Feb 3 and go home Feb 4. He said it would take an hour for the surgery, that I'll hate him that day and hate him less the next day. Because I am a distance runner, lift weights and lead an active lifestyle, he anticipates that I will be back to starting to run in 6 weeks, longer for situps. He also did an impression of Tim Conway as the little old man on Carol Burnett and said, "Don't shuffle like this after your surgery. Walk upright and you'll have less back, neck, shoulder pain and recover faster.
Unread 01-26-2012, 09:46 PM

I hate to say it, but my pre-op appointment was MUCH worse than I'd anticipated. I felt totally "beaten up" by the end of it, and then I had to go and get an EKG and some blood drawn for some more pre-op tests.

My doctor/surgeon is very capable and good I believe, but she is very 'clinical'. She is very thorough, so she kept telling me the absolute worst-case scenarios. Her 'bedside manner' is ... well, I haven't found it yet. I get that she cares, but she isn't going to sugarcoat anything. (I'd really like for her to say just one reassuring word, but I think that's not in her vocabulary. At least not pre-op.)

The truth is, the doctor/surgeon is still very focused on that fact that the "atypical mass" may be cancer. She put a LOT of attention on the cancer idea, which scared the heck outta me. She said that they will do a quick pathology report after they pull out my uterus, and that report will determine whether or not I get to keep my ovaries. I argued with her about that! I do NOT like that idea of giving them up unless it is ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that it is cancer. If the growth is just 'abnormal cells' or something equally nebulous, then I'm keeping my God-given ovaries. I need them for the rest of my life.

Having said that, the doctor/surgeon was respectful with me. She took a lot of time to explain things until I understood them, which I very much appreciated even if I didn't like the answers to my questions. Still, it was a harrowing day.

To make matters more crazy, I got a call today and they said my EKG isn't perfect so they want to have a previous one to compare it to. And the potassium level in my blood are low, so I have to take the blood tests over again tomorrow. Someone at the hospital actually told me that I had a "low blood count". Ummm... did you not read why I'm having a hysterectomy? Bleeding for three months doesn't qualify?

I'd like to just fast-forward to after the surgery, with a clean bill of health and working on recovery. Soon, I hope!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2012, 08:17 AM

I'm completely in awe of all the brave women on this website! I was feeling sad, depressed and sorry for myself and in just one day of reading these forums I feel so much stronger!

My surgery is February 3rd, one week from today. I had my left ovary removed in 2006 and now they are removing my uterus and possibly cervice, once I decide. I have endometriosis and fibroids that are enlarging my uterus to the size of a 5 month fetus. I find that ironic since I'm 45 years old and never had children.

I'm assuming that somewhere on this website it gives suggestions for questions to ask the surgeon as well as how to prep for surgery in ways that we're not told by our doctor. Would anyone be able to direct me as to where I can find this info?

Lots of love, support & hugs to all!

Unread 01-27-2012, 08:57 AM

Welcome Monsheri!

If you look at the top of this page, there is a tab (under the 'HysterSisters' logo) titled "Pre-Op". Click there.

There is a whole lot of info in there, along with a tab marked 'Questions for Doctor' (I think that's the title) - anyways, look around in there - it should help point you in the right direction.

Best Wishes!!
Unread 01-28-2012, 12:29 PM

Doberdre, My husband, a PA, has worked for surgeons and they often have no bedside manner, but are highly skilled. My husband was actually called Dr. X's "bedside manner." If your ovaries look healthy, you should certainly keep them, but if they are precancerous, that's a pretty big risk to take, as I think there is no screening for ovarian cancer. God bless. We are scheduled for the same day.
Unread 01-28-2012, 12:44 PM

I Soooo understand! This site and the beautiful women on it keep me sane when I think my head will explode. As soon as I think of a distraction someone asks a question or "if I am ready". But if you continue to listen to our great sisters here and occasionally peek at the post-op forum you will get a little peace of mind. As far as as crying... like they say in my favorite movie, "Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion."
Unread 01-28-2012, 05:05 PM

Hi i too am having my hysterectomy on the 30th and have contemplated backing out after reading everything that is going to happen never been so afraid in my life also dont know if my cervix is to be taken as its never been discussed with me i intend to ask when i meet my surgeon before the op on monday if i decide to go through with it i feel like a complete baby carnt stop crying

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register