surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind.. - Page 12 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind.. surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind..

Unread 01-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Re: OMG 1 week till surgery & doctor changes mind.. PLEASE reply if cervix removed!

That is good news quadma69 Gonecamping I will be thinking of you Tuesday morning chick.. Do you have your surgery time yet? I dont. They are suppose to call tomorrow night between 4 and 7. Tomorrow I plan on dropping my taxes off in the morning then I have a date with my bowel prep all day.. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Re: OMG 1 week till surgery & doctor changes mind.. PLEASE reply if cervix removed!

Good luck girls! You will go great!
Unread 01-29-2012, 09:24 PM

Thank you Kmc!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2012, 11:32 PM

gmac4_11- Good Luck Tuesday! You will be fine, probably better than you expect (I was / am)
I think you have made the right choice with cervix removal. Like most of us I did my research, this included asking all my friends and family that have already been through a Hysterectomy. I have one friend that kept her cervix for all the same reasons you mentioned, she now has pre-cancer cells and has had several procedures to remove them, not pleasant.

Wishing you a speedy recovery
Unread 01-30-2012, 05:09 AM

Thank you Kitty!
Unread 02-05-2012, 07:37 PM

so did you have it removed I did dont worry about it if you have risk of cancer I would have them take it not worth is . this is coming from someone who had a hysterectumy 8 years ago and Dec 13 2011 I had to have my ovaries removed and they found endomitriosis to go for it .
hope it all works out for you . the key is finding the right mositurizer which i use a sylicone based one and you will be okay .
Unread 02-06-2012, 05:15 PM

Just came across this thread, and I must say, it has been very encouraging!

I'm having a DvH this Thursday morning, and I was really worried about losing my cervix for all the reasons the OP mentioned. I'm feeling much more confident now.

Thank you all for your frankness and encouragement!
Unread 02-06-2012, 05:22 PM

Yes sduit.. I had it removed..
Unread 02-06-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac4_11 View Post
I went to my pre op appointment less then 24 hours ago. Discussed with my doctor what I have researched and said that I think I may want to keep my cervix because I have read some negatives on removing it. He went into reasons why he felt I did not need to keep it, but respected my decision and we moved forward, set a date for January 31st, one week from today, to do a Da Vinci supercervical hysterectomy. Keeping my cervix....

I have read everywhere, not just here that getting rid of the cervix poses sexual problems (vaginal shortning, no sex drive, painful sex, granulation etc.)

Just received a call from the head oncologist surgeon (did not speak with him yesterday) stating that he refuses to do my surgery if I do not want to remove my cervix. He said he is more then happy to refer me to doctors that will do it and let me keep my cervix if wanted.

His reasonings were this:
He said that given my family history of cervical cancer (2 of Moms sisters) and the fact that in his 30 years doing this, he has seen way to many women NOT take the cervix that eventually need to have it removed, that being a much more invasive surgery to take the cervix out once the uterus is gone, that he will not do this surgery on me.. He was very polite and seemed genuine in my case..

PLEASE LADIES, If you have had your cervix removed, and are at the stage that you have already had sex, not just right out of surgery and do not know what your sexual experience will be, PLEASE tell me if your sex life has changed for the better or worse or at all. I also want to know if prior to having your hysterectomy was sex painful?? I do NOT have painful sex right now. I have great sex. My surgery is being done because of multiple fibroids that have caused me to bleed for weeks at a time and pain not during sex. I also feel that if prior to surgery sex was painful, our bodies are more apt to "enjoy" sex rather then feel it hurts..

I am SO confused.. He said he promises very little vaginal shortning as the way he performs the surgery is by cutting right above the cervix instead of at the end to allow the scar tissue to eat up the remaining cervix. He said Doctors who cut "at" the cervix line allow for more vaginal shortning with the scar tissue that presents itself after therefor causing women discomfort...

Please, any insight from women without a cervix would be great.. Please also include your age at time of your surgery..

Thank you so much in advance... I am sooo confused!!
Well, I don't know about the sex drive thing. I still have one Im 57. I had a total hysterectomy ovaries and all April 3 , 2009. I think each individual is different on the sex thing. I will tell you one thing. You stated you had hystery of cervical cancer in family? Well, you need decide whether its worth rrisking your life to keep your cervix. Think hard. My sister in law and I had same cancer surgeon. I didn't have cervical cancer either. My sister in law messed around with it for a year trying hold on to things. I went in had all removed . ovaries and all and you know I feel best thing ever happened to me. Its like a load is gone. almost 3 years and doing great! My sister in law died 2 years ago.... So think long and hard. I had a great oncologist, God complex but personality doesn't matter in this situation SKILL.... Only you can decide. What ever God Bless ya and let me know how your doing...... <3
Unread 02-06-2012, 09:02 PM

Rememeber breathe until 9th. I know what your going through. 3 years past almost for em and so much better without all those parts... Really is. Take it easy after surgery please for a month atleast and you won't get adhesions and won't have to ever deal with that part body again having problems!~ Good luch and God bless you!~

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register