surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind.. - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind.. surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind..

Unread 01-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Re: OMG 1 week till surgery & doctor changes mind.. PLEASE reply if cervix removed!

Oh my goodness did need to read this. I am having my cervix removed and I don't have the choice of getting a second opinion due to no health insurance. There is only one dr at the VA hospital I go to, so not even an inhouse consult. I got so excited reading good stories. All I see is horror stories and being 33 losing what little sex life I have due to pain would suck. Thanks ladies for being so candid especially about the "tricks" (I thought that was sooooo funny)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Re: OMG 1 week till surgery & doctor changes mind.. PLEASE reply if cervix removed!

A big question for me is, "Why are you having this surgery?"

I had a hysterectomy due to a long history of uterine fibroids and abnormal paps. Pathology also reported adnomyosis, which no doubt contributed to my problems.

One thing to consider is that your cervix is a part of the uterus and not a separate organ. What ails you now could come back to haunt you later - something to think about.

My cervix was removed and my doctor connected the vaginal cuff to tendons - I'm assuming the ones that were originally supporting the uterus in the first place.

I was cleared to have sex 4 weeks ago and can report no sexual dysfunction in the least; in fact it's the opposite. Without the pain and persistent bleeding we are having more fun than we've had in years and my husband claims he feels no difference.
Unread 01-24-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLila View Post
A big question for me is, "Why are you having this surgery?"

I had a hysterectomy due to a long history of uterine fibroids and abnormal paps. Pathology also reported adnomyosis, which no doubt contributed to my problems.

One thing to consider is that your cervix is a part of the uterus and not a separate organ. What ails you now could come back to haunt you later - something to think about.

My cervix was removed and my doctor connected the vaginal cuff to tendons - I'm assuming the ones that were originally supporting the uterus in the first place.

I was cleared to have sex 4 weeks ago and can report no sexual dysfunction in the least; in fact it's the opposite. Without the pain and persistent bleeding we are having more fun than we've had in years and my husband claims he feels no difference.

This last OB oncologist was my 3rd opinion regarding having the hysterectomy done. All 3 agreed that it needed to be done but the first two wanted to remove my only remaining ovary from my past ovarian cancer issues that I had. This last doctor did not agree with them and said he would not remove my ovary as it is healthy with no signs of cancer or masses what so ever so he does not feel the need to induce medical menopause.. After my ablasion and remaining tube being tied off in June of 2010, I stopped getting a period. I was what my Ob at the time, considered to be a successful ablasion as I did not get my period back.

Starting within 2 months of the ablasion I started getting what I can only describe as "labor" pains. They would come and go, maybe every 6 weeks or so but would bring me to my knees. At the beginning they would last maybe 10 minutes or so. As the months progressed, they became closer together happening every 2 weeks or so and sometimes would last 24 hours off and on.

By the end of this summer (2011) they were coming almost daily. In the beginning of September I woke up with a ton of blood in my bed. I did not stop bleeding for almost 3 weeks. The same thing happened in October and November. I eventually went for a sonogram and it was discovered that I had fibroids. Not large but many. 12 small ones. Now each of the 3 doctors I have seen have came to two conclusions.. One being that the bleeding is coming from the fibroids or that my uterine lining that was not burned from the ablasion has grown back behind the uterus and blood is stuck somewhere.

After my ablasion, and not just right after but for the entire 15 months I was period free, my smell changed. It smelled as if I was just coming off my period and cotinued to get worse up until I finally started bleeding in September. The blood does not look fresh, it looks old like it has been in there a while. The contraction like pains are horrible while I am not bleeding but dont exist while I am bleeding. Odd..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2012, 07:19 PM

Not reading the other replies, so forgive me if I repeat others. My doctor told me the great part about daVinci assisted (I had vaginal removal) is that you only lose a minimal part of the vagina. Millimeters vs. inch(s). Depth is fine here. Obviously he can't feel the cervix anymore, but it's a good thing for us. My doc is going to do paps on me every 3 years. HTH

ETA: Just saw where you asked for our age at surgery. I had surgery last October, I had just turned 35. Huge blessing to me.
Unread 01-24-2012, 07:27 PM

Hi Gail. I am 43 years old and 6.5 months post op from TVH. I didn't have a choice to keep my cervix. I too was very concerned about how the surgery would affect my sex life. I notice no difference in the length of my vagina or with my natural lubrication. Sex was sore at first but not as sore as I expected. My vaginal cuff healed well with no scarring or granulation. There is no difference in my sex drive, since I kept my ovaries. My DH says sex feels exactly the same to him as before. I personally felt discomfort when DH bumped my cervix during sex, so I don't miss that at all. The only thing I miss is the awesome orgasms. I used to feel my uterus contract and it would last for a long time. Now with my uterus gone, the orgasm is shorter and more superficial. But it would be that way even if I kept my cervix, this is more of a drawback of the hysterectomy in general. That being said, it has taken me a long time to heal and we are still not back to normal in the bedroom. We had no sex for 9 weeks post op and maybe half as often as we used to since then. We are also avoiding positions with deeper penetration as I'm still tender inside. I hope this helps and you have the outcome you're hoping for.
Unread 01-24-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac4_11 View Post
This last OB oncologist was my 3rd opinion regarding having the hysterectomy done. All 3 agreed that it needed to be done but the first two wanted to remove my only remaining ovary from my past ovarian cancer issues that I had. This last doctor did not agree with them and said he would not remove my ovary as it is healthy with no signs of cancer or masses what so ever so he does not feel the need to induce medical menopause.. After my ablasion and remaining tube being tied off in June of 2010, I stopped getting a period. I was what my Ob at the time, considered to be a successful ablasion as I did not get my period back.

Starting within 2 months of the ablasion I started getting what I can only describe as "labor" pains. They would come and go, maybe every 6 weeks or so but would bring me to my knees. At the beginning they would last maybe 10 minutes or so. As the months progressed, they became closer together happening every 2 weeks or so and sometimes would last 24 hours off and on.

By the end of this summer (2011) they were coming almost daily. In the beginning of September I woke up with a ton of blood in my bed. I did not stop bleeding for almost 3 weeks. The same thing happened in October and November. I eventually went for a sonogram and it was discovered that I had fibroids. Not large but many. 12 small ones. Now each of the 3 doctors I have seen have came to two conclusions.. One being that the bleeding is coming from the fibroids or that my uterine lining that was not burned from the ablasion has grown back behind the uterus and blood is stuck somewhere.

After my ablasion, and not just right after but for the entire 15 months I was period free, my smell changed. It smelled as if I was just coming off my period and cotinued to get worse up until I finally started bleeding in September. The blood does not look fresh, it looks old like it has been in there a while. The contraction like pains are horrible while I am not bleeding but dont exist while I am bleeding. Odd..
Wow! You have been through so much already! Facing the surgery has to bring anxiety, and no one looks forward to the recovery period, especially the first few days. However, from what you are describing with the labour-type pains, I'd be willing to bet that you have already experienced much worse pain before the surgery than you will experience afterward. Each of us is different, of course, but so many women I know are very happy with their decision and the results of the surgery. I am one of those.

One of the themes that keeps coming up in the pre-op threads is that it is only women who have had a bad experience that are on this forum. I was feeling some things that I believed were part of the normal healing process, but just wanted reassurance that what I was going through was normal. I found a great deal of comfort in other people's stories. I have appreciated the honesty and openness of this site. I'm glad that you have been comforted, too.
Unread 01-24-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~JustMe~* View Post
Not reading the other replies, so forgive me if I repeat others. My doctor told me the great part about daVinci assisted (I had vaginal removal) is that you only lose a minimal part of the vagina. Millimeters vs. inch(s). Depth is fine here. Obviously he can't feel the cervix anymore, but it's a good thing for us. My doc is going to do paps on me every 3 years. HTH

ETA: Just saw where you asked for our age at surgery. I had surgery last October, I had just turned 35. Huge blessing to me.

Thank you for your reply.. I am a little confused though. I thought after removal of the uterus and cervix, paps were not needed anymore?
Unread 01-24-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandspice View Post
Hi Gail. I am 43 years old and 6.5 months post op from TVH. I didn't have a choice to keep my cervix. I too was very concerned about how the surgery would affect my sex life. I notice no difference in the length of my vagina or with my natural lubrication. Sex was sore at first but not as sore as I expected. My vaginal cuff healed well with no scarring or granulation. There is no difference in my sex drive, since I kept my ovaries. My DH says sex feels exactly the same to him as before. I personally felt discomfort when DH bumped my cervix during sex, so I don't miss that at all. The only thing I miss is the awesome orgasms. I used to feel my uterus contract and it would last for a long time. Now with my uterus gone, the orgasm is shorter and more superficial. But it would be that way even if I kept my cervix, this is more of a drawback of the hysterectomy in general. That being said, it has taken me a long time to heal and we are still not back to normal in the bedroom. We had no sex for 9 weeks post op and maybe half as often as we used to since then. We are also avoiding positions with deeper penetration as I'm still tender inside. I hope this helps and you have the outcome you're hoping for.
Thank you for your reply.. I am feeling better and better with each positive post..
Unread 01-24-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carole Anne View Post
Wow! You have been through so much already! Facing the surgery has to bring anxiety, and no one looks forward to the recovery period, especially the first few days. However, from what you are describing with the labour-type pains, I'd be willing to bet that you have already experienced much worse pain before the surgery than you will experience afterward. Each of us is different, of course, but so many women I know are very happy with their decision and the results of the surgery. I am one of those.

One of the themes that keeps coming up in the pre-op threads is that it is only women who have had a bad experience that are on this forum. I was feeling some things that I believed were part of the normal healing process, but just wanted reassurance that what I was going through was normal. I found a great deal of comfort in other people's stories. I have appreciated the honesty and openness of this site. I'm glad that you have been comforted, too.
Oh I can write a book as many of us can I am sure.. lol.. I love this site.. I was lerking when this all began and couldn't help but post some of my questions as I seen how helpful everyone is..
Unread 01-24-2012, 09:29 PM

I had it all out, my gyn was going to leave ovaries and cervix or only take what was needed to be taken - but I told her I wonted my cervix out my aunt had cervical cancer that wasn't caught during regular paps and they only found it at stage 3 because she had to have surgery dun on her bladder (if she hadn't needed the surgery they never would have found the cancer till after her death).

Its been over 3 years since my hysterectomy and the only change to my sex life is that I'm now having more of it then I ever had before the hysterectomy took place, its more enjoyable and spontaneous then it ever was before.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register