surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind.. - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind.. surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind..

Unread 01-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Re: OMG 1 week till surgery & doctor changes mind.. PLEASE reply if cervix removed!

In the early stages of planning my hysterectomy, I was adament about keeping my cervix. However, I changed my mind.
I have a friend who is an OB/GYN (however, not my ob/gyn) who had a hysterectomy herself back in the Fall. I had a long discussion with her about surgical options. Her first question to me about the cervix was if I had ever had a 'bad' PAP smear. My answer was 'yes'. I had a bad PAP come back about 7 years ago. She immediately said 'you don't want to keep it'.
She said that if you do not have the cervix removed along with the uterus, that it is much harder to remove later if a problem arises. From her own personal experience, she said that cervix removal in no way had a negative affect on sexual intercourse.
I am only 2 weeks post-op. I DID have the cervix removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Re: OMG 1 week till surgery & doctor changes mind.. PLEASE reply if cervix removed!

I had my hysterectomy 11 years ago at the age of 25. I don't miss my cervix in the slightest. Intercourse was not painful prior to my hysterectomy and not having a cervix has not negatively impacted my sex life.

I do continue to have paps (called vaginal vault smears) every few years. It can depend on the doctor and the reason for the hysterectomy as to whether or not paps are continued. Continuing paps after a total hysterectomy can be a controversial topic so talk to your own medical team about what might be best for you, especially since you do have a cancer concern and prior cancer issue.

Unread 01-25-2012, 05:21 AM

I am over joyed at the responses that I am getting.. With each one I can feel my anxiety about taking my cervix leaving.. I spoke with my husband last night and told him after the many conversations I had with my Aunts, friends, and the replies on this post, I feel comfortable enough going forward with my surgery date (now 6 days away) and taking the cervix... Thank you all so much for the replies. Whether a woman takes her cervix or not, I love to see positive stories on here.. Thank you again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2012, 08:44 AM

If you want one more opinion...I am nearly 8 weeks post op and DH and I just had our 3rd attempt at sex last night. I had the most amazing orgasm of my life. I too worried after reading that some women have trouble post op but other than having to find a position that worked for me in this early stage it was wonderful! Best of luck to you and see you in the post op forum.
Unread 01-25-2012, 08:48 AM

Thank you Molly! Keep em' coming ladies.. lol.. Molly, you also had your cervix removed?
Unread 01-25-2012, 08:50 AM

Thank you Weiser.. I will ask my doctor about the paps..
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac4_11 View Post
Thank you Molly! Keep em' coming ladies.. lol.. Molly, you also had your cervix removed?
Yes, I had everything removed..cervix, fallopian tubes, ovaries and lots of repairs. Sex post op is terrific!
Unread 01-25-2012, 11:22 AM

Thanks Molly!!
Unread 01-25-2012, 12:19 PM

I had my cervix removed during hysterectomy due to family history of cancers and I dont regret it at all. I have a higher sex drive and have had no problems with dryness (even if I did I would use something to help with that) and do not notice a difference with the length. Like some of the other ladies on here, it has been better then ever before for me. I know not everyone is the same and some people wish they didnt take the cervix but it was the right choice for me.

I had 16 months of complete bliss (the best way for me to describe it) after my recovery before I started having problems with prolapse issues but the doctor told me that it is most likely due to the fact that I had bladder and uterine prolapses even before the surgery and not because I no longer have a cervix.

Edited to add that my Mom had ovarian, cervical, breast and colon cancers and I have 2 aunts and a grandma who had breast cancer so I was at high risk and didnt want to take any chances but my doctor told me that the majority of cervical cancers are due to HPV and that the only reason I was at higher risk was due to such a strong family history and the possibility that my mom's was due to a genetic issue and not HPV (she had it 18 years ago so we are not sure if she had HPV prior to). I am glad you feel comfortable with your decision. While everyone is different in their experiences, it is nice to see so many positive outcomes posted
Unread 01-25-2012, 01:01 PM

I discussed prolapse with my doctor and he explained to me that he didnt feel that keeping or getting rid of the cervix had nothing to do with it. He said the cervix was the size of a button and could not hold up the bladder. He did however say having a hysterectomy in general increases the risk. So the cervix being in or out didnt matter.. Thank you for your reply..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register