surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind.. - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind.. surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind..

Unread 01-25-2012, 01:08 PM
surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind..

I had my cervix removed, ovaries, tubes and uterus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Re: OMG 1 week till surgery & doctor changes mind.. PLEASE reply if cervix removed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carole Anne View Post
I had a very large fibroid, and so if he went too deeply, I could feel the pressure on my cervix/uterus right up into my belly button. Not pleasant. There were a number of positions that were out of the question. Now, everything is great.

I've read elsewhere on this site that, while the vagina may be slightly shortened when your cervix is removed, it doesn't feel shorter because the space that was taken up by the cervix is now "available". Without the pressure pains, it all feels much better. My hubby thinks so, too.

Does that help? If not, ask more specific questions, and I will answer them, as I'm sure others will, too.

Not to hijack this thread but I have to say ...this is good to know Carole. I have not had my surgery yet but sex has not been fun for me for quite awhile since I seem to have the same issues that you had. I've got an abnormal shaped uterus loaded with fibroids and my cervix is even tilted in a weird position.

Next for me is to decide whether or not to keep my cervix, also. No abnormal paps, no cancer history. I'll be doing a lot of reading before Feb 9th!
Unread 01-25-2012, 01:38 PM
surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind..

These responses regarding intercourse and orgasms are great. I still gave z month to find out but I have been afraid it would change our sex life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Re: OMG 1 week till surgery & doctor changes mind.. PLEASE reply if cervix removed!

I agree.. This thread has been so informative for me regarding sexual experiences after a hysterectomy with cervix removal.. Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply for those of us like myself having to make this decision. (Huge hugs)
Unread 01-25-2012, 03:02 PM

I had my hysterectomy at 30, almost 9 months ago. I had my cervix removed, and I have to say that my sex life is better than it has EVER been. I did have painful intercourse before surgery, but was still able to enjoy it. Since the surgery, I cannot believe how much better it is!!! My orgasms are more intense, and it is much easier to achieve than ever before I have not had any issues with loss of drive, in fact, my libido has gone through the roof!! My poor husband can hardly keep up!!
I haven't had any issues with shortening either, my husband says he can't tell a difference at all.

Everyone is different. And yes, there are unfortunately some horror stories out there, but I really do think there are more success stories!

to you! I hope you make the decision that is right for you and I hope you have many years of a wonderful sex life a head of you!!

Unread 01-25-2012, 03:23 PM

What a great thread! Very encouraging.

I'm 49 and had everything removed 3 weeks ago, so not cleared for intercourse yet and am too afraid to try "outer course" but my sex drive is definitely still there and may even be stronger than before.

For what it's worth...prior to my surgery I read quite a few medical studies that found that taking or leaving the cervix made no difference in terms of sexual response.

I asked my Gyn and she said if you were able to have orgasms prior to the surgery that will not change and she had never had a patient experience problems after removing the cervix.
Unread 01-25-2012, 03:50 PM

Hi Gail,

I had my cervix removed as well... I DID have painful sex prior to surgery. I was 39 when I had the surgery. I am just over 7 months out and I have had zero problems with sex. I haven't had any pain what-so-ever. BF states it feels the same to him, I have the same or better orgasms as before the surgery.

I have issues with lowered sex drive (I kept my ovaries), but that really isn't due to the cervix being removed... sex drive is hormone driven, so really shouldn't be a factor when you are thinking of the cervix.

Good luck in whatever you decide. I know for me, I do not regret my decision in any way! Periods and pain are gone! Yay!
Unread 01-25-2012, 04:47 PM

Yay!! I am so excited for my surgery now Cant believe I actually feel this way too.. I honestly feel sooooooo much better after posting this thread.. I am excited now too about not having to deal with a period now as well!!
Unread 01-25-2012, 05:43 PM

I'm only on day 8 post op, so haven't had sex yet. I had my cervix removed because of the issues I had my hyster for.

Having done a ton of research prior to my surgery though, I'm surprised that you've found so much negative about having it removed. Technically, the vagina isn't shortened unless they have to actually remove part of the canal (ie for cancer). The cervix protrudes into the canal. When they take it out, the vagina is cuffed at the top of the canal, not where the end of your cervix is.
From what my doctor and my research says, you may have some scarring that feels harder and less elastic at first because the tissue needs to stretch to become softer. lol, so some therapy sex will help.

As for orgasms, if you mainly have uterus orgasms, you're going to run into problems anyway. (That's an orgasm that starts when your uterus contracts from stimulating it). If you mainly have clitoris based orgasms, you'll be fine.

As you mentioned, sex and orgasms for women are very mentally driven. If you believe you're going to have problems, you likely will. Try to stay positive.

For the record, at 8 days post op with a TAH, I'm ******* right now than I have been in years! I'm so ready to have sex without pain, I can't wait. This is going to be a long 6 weeks.
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:51 PM

Hi. I'm 41, 6 weeks post op so can't answer on the post op sex, but I had painful pre-op sex. I was insistant on keeping my cervix-so was my husband-but we were ill-informed thinking we couldn't have sex, or normal sex again. On the table I told my Dr. I changed my mind, I was so full of anxiety, I did not EVER want to be on that table going through this or anything again, so take the other ovary and the cervix! He was great at not pushing me initially, but then post op he told me how bulbous and mishapen my cervix was and that he would of had to take it out anyway.

Generally, the doctor is looking out for both you and himself. See, the fact that he knows you have a history of your own cancer experience and the double family history of cervical cancer requires he try to get you to remove it as your odds are higher-you are at risk and if you later come down with cervical cancer you can sue his pants off since you told him you had a family history of it-so he is trying to prevent you from future possible cancer yourself, and also himself from a possible lawsuit.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register