surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind.. - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind.. surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind..

Unread 01-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Re: OMG 1 week till surgery & doctor changes mind.. PLEASE reply if cervix removed!

I had everything removed 18 months ago, including the cervix. My sex life is better than ever. I have had no issues or problems, in fact, when it comes to the big "O", i have better ones and more of them since my surgery than I did before.

Not everyone has the same experience in regards to sex post op, but mine has been really great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2012, 07:20 AM
Re: OMG 1 week till surgery & doctor changes mind.. PLEASE reply if cervix removed!

Thank you. I agree.. Over the last few days speaking with friends, family and this thread, I feel comfortable enough having made the decision to allow them to take my cervix.. I too do not want to go through anything like this again..
Unread 01-26-2012, 02:07 PM

I am also starting to see just how difficult the decision to keep or get rid of the cervix is for many of us who have the option...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac4_11 View Post
Thank you for your reply.. I am a little confused though. I thought after removal of the uterus and cervix, paps were not needed anymore?
Women who have been treated for cancer need to have continuing PAPs. Otherwise, removal of the cervix removes the need for them.

My doctor recommends that all women have a bi-manual exam every two years to make sure the remaining internal organs are still doing OK.
Unread 01-26-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carole Anne View Post
Women who have been treated for cancer need to have continuing PAPs. Otherwise, removal of the cervix removes the need for them.

My doctor recommends that all women have a bi-manual exam every two years to make sure the remaining internal organs are still doing OK.
Yep, even without my cervix, my doctor is recommending 2-3 year paps. I think that the higher your cancer risk was prior to surgery, the more frequently you still need them since a pap checks for abnormal cells.

I had a friend that had to have a complete vaginal reconstruction surgery 5 years after her hyster because of cancer.
Unread 01-26-2012, 06:48 PM

I'm 3 months out of surgery, cervix removed and am just getting back in the swing of things. I have had no problems and am feeling great! I was very worried about have everything removed, but I'm glad I did. I had my last gyno visit yesterday until my yearly exam and my DR said everything looked great and was well supported. I had a DiVinci Robotic hysterectomy. Good luck to you, I hope & pray you are doing well!
Unread 01-26-2012, 07:53 PM

The paps every few years does make sense though..
Unread 01-26-2012, 10:04 PM

I am 45 today...Happy birthday to me. I had my cervix removed during my Hysterectomy along with everything else. I really can't tell the difference in this department. It was good before and still good now. I had the same concerns as you and most other women regarding the big "O" but there is absolutely no problem. If I were you and had the family history of Cervical cancer, I wouldn't give it a second thought. My husband says the same thing...no difference. If there was any change at all, it is better and not worse, cause I don't have to plan around aunt flo's visit and I am not having the pain that I had before. So, as far as this goes, I would not worry about it. Life is great.
Unread 01-26-2012, 10:11 PM

I didn't have the DaVinci, but did have a LAVH about 4 weeks ago. Like others I have not gotten to the point of being able to have sex yet although the desire is certainly there. In my case, this is a plus because I really didn't have much desire prior to the surgery. This drove my husband nuts! I could go for months without having sex but am about to lose my mind right now beause the desire is so strong!

I had my cervix and my uterus removed because there were precancer cells found. I am 40, have 3 children and no desire to have anymore. At the stage I was at, my doc said it wasn't a question of "IF" it would turn into cancer, but "WHEN". I wasn't even willing to take that chance and said let's just do it. I feel great! No complications or anything and am ready to get back on the track and lose more weight, which by the way I have dropped a few pounds with no exercise since the surgery.

That being said, get a second opinion if you're not sure. It's your body and you know what you want done it. I pray everything works out.
Unread 01-27-2012, 05:26 AM

Thank you again ladies for taking your time to post.. Everything is all set for Tuesday.. just waiting now for the hospital to call and give me my time to show up.. getting more nervous, but excited at the same time..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register