surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind.. - Page 8 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind.. surgery on 1/31 & doctor changes mind..

Unread 01-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Re: OMG 1 week till surgery & doctor changes mind.. PLEASE reply if cervix removed!

Thank you BetsyKitten! So happy to hear you are doing well! I am scared, just had a mini breakdown on the phone with hubby.. Feeling un prepared house wise and my list to do's.. Had to call off work for tonight as my pain is unmanageable right now.. Just excited to get this over with soon.. Just a few days more..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Re: OMG 1 week till surgery & doctor changes mind.. PLEASE reply if cervix removed!

I had my cervix removed with my davinci total hysterectomy leaving only one ovary. It was never a question to me whether to keep it or remove it, it was a done deal. I have no shortening of my vagina, no complications, and I get orgasms just fine though not by intercourse since I am only three weeks to the day form my surgery. With ur history of cervical cancer I would not hesitate to have it removed. Once you have no uterus the cervix is needless anyway. God luck!
Unread 01-27-2012, 03:37 PM

The worst part is the lead up. I was convinced the household would fall to pieces ,the dogs wouldn't be walked etc etc. in reality everybody copes and a bit of dust hurts nobody. Just take each day as it comes. Expect to be a little "emotional". As you look back on each week you realise how far you have come, but don't rush to do anything. Prepare yourself for a bit of discomfort the first week and don't try to be brave - take yr pain meds even if you don't feel u need them. Better to be pain free than to wait until you are really in pain. I don't regret the op one bit and am even at the stage where I can look back on the early days and laugh at myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2012, 03:51 PM

I agree w betsykitten!!! Try to let it all go. It is probably the most free you will be for a Long time! I am 3 weeks postoperative and resting whenever I need. Everyone survives. You will be so happy next week resting!!
Unread 01-27-2012, 04:26 PM

wow...so stressed out right now. I am scheduled for LSH on Wednesday 2/1 and planned with my Dr to keep my cervix. I am so confused now....I have one large intramural fibroid that has regrown after UAE in 2007. My Dr never mentioned the possibility of fibroid regrowth on the cervix!!??!!! Already had preop yesterday and now I'm second guessing everything. Am I freaking out for nothing? Maybe pre-surgery nerves...I don't know. I already called this morning with questions about LSH vs. DaVinci that I didn't ask yesterday, now this. UGH!
Unread 01-27-2012, 04:34 PM

Hi jalr22.

If you have further questions, make sure that you get them answered before the surgery. You don't want to be making second guesses once there are no options. However, don't get yourself too stressed out about the fact that other women have made different choices. We all share the "hysterectomy" experience, but the medical issues and histories that brought us to the surgery are all different. If we trust our doctors, then we will use their information and judgments to help us make the right decision. When I share my experience, it's only so that people can deal with one possible reality, rather than struggling with the "horror stories" they might read elsewhere.

Take care. You will make the right decision for you.
Unread 01-27-2012, 05:17 PM

When given the option at first I researched and found what I thought to be an overwhelming amount of negativity associated with taking the cervix. Since posting this thread my opinion has changed dramatically.. But this is my own personal choice for me. We all have to do what we feel is right for us..
Unread 01-27-2012, 05:36 PM

Well this weekend is "down to the wire time" in my house. My bedroom is downstairs in my home but the rest of our living quarters are upstairs, there is however an additional bathroom downstairs.. We are trying to decide if we should set up my camp down in my bedroom or upstairs and hijack one of my kids rooms. For the most part someone will be here with me. Husband is taking off Tuesday (day of my surgery) Wednesday and Thursday..

I have made my "list" of things to buy for pre op and post op including a fiber filled diet.. Husband promises a sparkling clean house come Sunday.. The waiting period is the hardest.. I agree with that. I do keep telling myself that this time next week I will be home resting.. I didn't expect this many ups and downs associated emotionally with this though.. I literally just burst into tears again.. I keep trying to laugh at myself but it is getting the best of me.

My concern with post op is on top of my original fears that have been deminished at this point but am I truely going to be able to get back to work by 6 weeks as well.. I waitress so there is a ton of speed walking that I need to do during a shift. Not alot of heavy lifting but a ton of walking.. Just a million things running through my head.. all normal I am sure.. sigh.. wish I could fast forward 6 months.. lol
Unread 01-27-2012, 05:58 PM

The day before my surgery, I was totally stressed out. Instead of crying, though, I was very giddy and foolish, and found myself talking non-stop. I can only tell you that the reality was so much better than what I thought it would be. Yes, I was sore. Yes, I was tired. Yes, I needed to rest myself and take lots of naps. However, the day I was discharged from the hospital, I went to my friend's house and we played backgammon and drank tea for a couple of hours, then went to the pharmacy and picked up a prescription (DH drove). I was able to drive at 9 days (my doctor said that I could resume driving when I could stamp my feet), walked on the treadmill at the gym at 16days, the same day I carried my granddaughter. Most of us are not totally "down and out" for a super long time.

My sister said to me, "You have nothing to prove. Don't be silly." I listened to those words, listened to my body, followed my doctor's orders, and had a really good recovery.

I hope that the same is true for you. That being said, give yourself permission to feel whatever you need to feel, and at the same time, remain anchored in the knowledge that you will be OK. Fast forward 6 months? It will be amazingly better!
Unread 01-27-2012, 06:01 PM

Davinci? You will be speed walking!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register