Scheduled Hysterectomy! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduled Hysterectomy! Scheduled Hysterectomy!

Unread 01-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Scheduled Hysterectomy!

I have scheduled the hysterectomy plus ovary removal in February 2nd. Any advice on what to expect right after surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Re: Scheduled Hysterectomy!

What to expect will be a bit different, depending on the type of procedure you are having. The main difference will be how the incisions, if you have them, heal. All of us have the same type of internal healing. This surgery will involve moving around other organs while they are removing your uterus, and there will be a lot of internal stitches.

I had an abdominal hysterectomy, which involves the largest type of incision. I can tell you that I was terrified that I would be overwhelmed by the post-operative pain, but that was absolutely not my experience. The pain management was fantastic, and I stop all prescription medications while I was still in the hospital. I only used Advil and Tylenol once I got home. Not all of the sisters are so lucky, so be prepared to use whatever medication you need to keep you comfortable.

The biggest surprise for me was how long it took for my bladder and bowel to start working again. Most surgeons put in a catheter during the surgery, so you won't need to worry about getting up to urinate right away. My doctor explained at my 6 week check up that the bladder sits on top of the uterus and has to be surgically separated from it. That leaves the bottom of the bladder very "raw", and so bladder function doesn't return to normal for about 9 weeks. I describe it as having no "push power". It takes longer than normal to empty. No pain, just different. Things are starting to return.

Your bowels will probably not move for a few days. Take the stool softeners that are offered or provided. You don't want to have to strain too much for that first one. Drink LOTS of water, too. I think it was the third day before I even passed any gas, and I finally had a movement on the 6th day, but only after I used a laxative. I am still taking stool softeners every day to keep things OK.

I hope this helps.
Unread 01-24-2012, 09:54 PM

Everyone is different, and heals at different rates. It also depends on your surgery, whether you are having other repairs, if you have any complications, etc.

I had a TAH BSO (6 inch vertical incision), and probably the biggest surprise for me was the level of fatigue. Just walking a short distance, or taking a shower and coming down to the couch would exhaust me during the first couple of weeks. I needed help with most household chores, and the rest I just did in batch mode. Pain was manageable with prescription pain meds. I did not experience the urinary problems that Carol did.

You may want to look at the post-op portion of this web site. This may give you an idea of what you will be facing.

(((HUgs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2012, 10:03 PM

Thanks for the advice and insight!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register