How many days should I need a lot of help? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How many days should I need a lot of help? How many days should I need a lot of help?

Unread 01-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Re: How many days should I need a lot of help?

Everyone is different in how it goes for them, I ended up with a cuff infection after surgery so ended up being in hospital for an extra 3 days which was blasted annoying to say the least.

But other then that, I was up and walking and driving within days of getting home, yes it was painful and blasted sore - but no pain medication and if the doc would have cleared me I'd have dun the marathon I'd been training for (but never got to complete) but couldn't get permission to go forwards with it (less it was to watch it only - grrrz)

As to how many days you will need help, it depends I didn't have any help after my op - drove myself home and took care of myself (my folks checked in on me, but that was about it - hubby and I talked over the phone, but couldn't be with me do to other things preventing him from being with me) but then again different strokes for different folks. My aunt needed her hubby around to help her with things for a good week after her hysterectomy (and she got to keep her ovaries vs mine getting taken out along with everything else - then again she was also in her 60s vs at the time me not even being 30).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2012, 09:53 PM

Wow!! That procedure comment has me miffed. I'd welcome anyone to have this "procedure" done and then let me know what they think. Or, how about watch a video of the "procedure" and see your organs removed and 100's of sutures placed.....okay, I am done complaining : ) All the ladies are correct, the inside surgery is all the same-major! Some ladies are lucky enough to avoid the abdominal incision, which I can only imagine adds more to recovery time. I was lucky and had a da Vinci with everything out. I had help for two days post op and I was fine. That being said, I did a lot of prep before; cooking and cleaning etc. Everyone heals differently, but you should be fine after two or three days to get along on your own. Use this site for help and advice. Good luck to you : )
Unread 01-25-2012, 12:08 AM

I needed help with things like laundry, lifting, cleaning and cooking for about 2 weeks and then I was okay mostly on my own. I'm 4 weeks post op and am back to doing most things on my own minus heavy lifting and vacuuming and cleaning. Take advantage of the help while you can. Don't do stairs too soon, I did and paid for it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2012, 01:56 AM

I had my LAVH on a Wednesday and even though he planned a week off my husband was back at work on Friday. I just asked that he leave me food I could reach at counter height. Sadly, he forgot but he felt bad. I had him set up a table within easy reach of the bed and a TV that I could see. He's been in and out of work. I found I had no trouble taking care of myself the few hours he was gone. I did avoid showering when I was alone. I also avoided the narcotic pain relief as it made me dizzy.

I still can't vacuum or stand for a long period of time and I get crazy tired, so he's been taking care of the house/kid/pet stuff. Which works out, while at this point I can mostly handle my own needs. Except I really need to have him wax my legs, I just can't seem to reach them.
Unread 01-25-2012, 02:01 AM

I almost forgot, everyone bounces back different just as people have different perspectives of recoveries. I hear tonsillectomy and I cringe. While very much a rare occurrence my son's tonsillectomy involved 2 ambulance rides, and a week in the hospital on full bed rest and a 100% liquid diet. So when I hear of that I think huge surgery!
Unread 01-25-2012, 01:47 PM

I had a lap hysterectomy on July 7th 2010. I kept both ovaries, one Fallopian tube, and my cervix. I went home the same day as my surgery. On the 9th of July I Walked around the mall for 5 hours. I couldn't lift anything I think over 5 pounds and I couldn't stretch or reach for things. I also couldn't lay flat for about a week so I slept on the couch that reclines, my husband slept on the couch with me LoL.
My surgery was on a Wednesday and my Husband went back to work Monday. I did very little cleaning for about two weeks.

Two of my incisions got infected and they had to put me on an antibiotic. I had a bad reaction to the antibiotic they put me on and it took me about three days to recover from that.
All in all I was felt back to my complete normal self with in about six months but felt close to normal in about six weeks. Like having a baby. The Dr. said I was healed at 1 year. I did recently have my yearly pap, because I kept my cervix, and it came back normal.
Not having a period is GREAT though I still have PMS. LoL.
Unread 01-25-2012, 02:47 PM

holy moly! removing organs is now considered a "procedure"? that's incredible LOL!

I'm 12 days post op and and I am able to shower, make a small meal, get around the house just fine. However, the first week for me was rough. It was much more painful and difficult than I imagined it would be. On theother hand, I have kids. My partner has been a Godsend! Without him, I'mnot sure how I would have managed on my own.

I think as long as your DH is home at least some of the time, you'll be okay. But keep a phone nearby, some snacks, some waters...those first few days are hard.
Unread 01-25-2012, 03:17 PM
How many days should I need a lot of help?

I had a TVH and bladder sling on Jan 10. I was told recovery was 8 weeks. Husband took off the week after and I needed him here to help me. I'm two weeks out and can do a few things, but I get tired very easily. I do a few things everyday, try and walk. But my body is telling me this was major surgery and rest. Hope this helps
Unread 01-25-2012, 04:03 PM

Good Afternoon, Future Princesses!
I may be echoing a lot of what's already been said, but I'm nearing my 3 week post-operative daVinci laparoscopy. It's wonderful you've found this site BEFORE surgery, instead of AFTER, like me! Everyone's circumstance that brings them to make the decision to have a hysterectomy is different. I cannot fathom how someone can say it's just a procedure. It is MAJOR surgery and your body will take time to heal.

Assuming you don't have any complications, you are not likely to need a lot help after a few days. However, some advance preparation would be very helpful! You want to have all your creature comforts close by. DH and I set up a little corner in our bedroom for me, and he thankfully moved himself to another bedroom, where he still is. Especially in the beginning, it was great to not worry about his sleep, his flailing elbow, and my need to get up to use the bathroom or take medication or get a drink or sit up in a chair...Since I could not sleep on my back for 3 nights, I slept in a comfy chair--not a recliner--with pillows behind my back. Everything was nearby--water bottles, meds with paper and pencil to record when I took it, a light, books, heating pad (nice for sore shoulders and tummy),my ipod, phone, crackers, blanket, kleenex, etc. I was able to do stairs so I could go down and get a simple meal for myself--nothing where you'll be on your feet for more than 1/2 hour. At first that's about all I could take before my back muscles began to shake.

You'll probably want someone nearby when you shower at first--in the beginning, I would become exhausted just showering.

And don't expect to be able to maintain the cleanliness of your house and laundry--if DH can't/won't take care of this, you have some choices--forget about it, ask a friend, neighbor, family member, or hire someone to clean up, if you can. You should not overexert yourself and you may feel like it after a bit. Pay attention to what other princesses have said--it really does take a lot of time.

I think we women feel like we must BE sick or look like we are at death's door if we're staying home and "doing nothing." We see all that needs to be done and often our family members don't see it--we may feel angry and annoyed at them for not seeing what needs to be done. Depends on your family dynamics, but I find that asking politely for what I need is always better than keeping quiet day after day and letting my frustration build up like a pressure cooker.

You may find, if you are a side sleeper, that it may take time before you can comfortably sleep on your side. When I finally reached that point, I tucked a slim bedpillow between my knees--some gals use a body pillow--feels good. When you change position, you'll have to reposition that. Coughing and sneezing may hurt at first. If you can think about it, have a pillow you can clutch to your abdomen before that cough or sneeze.

When I finally felt able to get rid of the nightgown and wear comfy sweats during the day, I found that my bra strap was way too tight up by my ribcage. You can buy a bra strap extender to sew or attach to your bra strap to make it longer--about 3-5" more--without having anything flop out of the cups! I sacrificed one of my bras and cut off the hook part, sewed it to a second bra, achieving the same result.

Many of us had difficulties getting the digestive system working. There are lots of remedies for that, but that system is slow to recover from surgery. Be careful not to eat heavy, gas-producing foods at first--take it easy. Some ladies used Gas-X or stool softeners, not laxatives. I was able to manage with stewed prunes in the am and in the pm. Still...took a good 2 1/2 weeks for me.

Check this website for questions to ask your doctor about how you should feel afterwards and what to expect during the first four weeks. It's better to know ahead of time instead of wondering and worrying.

Be sure to check on suggestions on this website, too--again, we're all different--so what works for some may not work for you. I found it immensely comforting to read posts from women who had had hysterectomies about the same time as I. A great place to share, encourage, and vent, too!!

In closing, it's really important to follow your doctor's orders. If you aren't feeling well, are in pain, or if something just doesn't seem right to you, don't hesitate to call the doctor. Someone said, You're paying your doctor for his/her expertise. Don't worry about bothering him/her. Resting your mind and worries is better than stewing and letting a situation get out of hand.

Thinking of all of you!!
Unread 01-25-2012, 04:59 PM

whoever said getting organs removed is exactly right,other organs fall into place,this isnt very comfortable at all.my son stayed home from school for 2 days thursday, and friday and then he stayed home following monday.nobody heals like the next person.your 1st battle will be with bowel movements and the list goes on and on.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register