Please don't laugh but I have to share | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please don't laugh but I have to share Please don't laugh but I have to share

Unread 01-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Please don't laugh but I have to share

So today I am 7 days post op and din't have to have a BM till this morning. I have been taking stool softeners since I got home and didn't think it would be so hard to go. But after trying to go a few different times over about 2 hours I ended up passing out! (Don't laugh!) So I went to the Dr and he got on to me about not trying so hard to go... but I really didn't try that hard to go. So here I am still need to go but can't. I don't know what to do. I tried suppositories but I would just go to the bath room and just the suppositories would come out.
Has any one else took laxatives after surgery??
My Dr said it was ok to try them. But they always make me feel so sick when I do have to take them...
Not sure what to do... I know I need to go but not sure I want to make my safe sick from the laxatives to go...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Re: Please don't laugh but I have to share

My Dr had me start taking milk of magnesia along with the stool softeners right after getting home and I've had no problems whatsoever in that dept.
Unread 01-24-2012, 05:34 PM

Wow - Seven days and your doctor wasn't concerned about that?

Have you tried an enema? It might work better than the suppository since it's high volume liquid. Other than that, apples, prunes, prune juice, drink lots of water and walk around the house.

When sitting on the toilet sit up straight, take a deep breath and when you let it out it tends to stimulate the bowels without straining.

I hate laxatives because they cramp me up pretty badly.

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2012, 05:37 PM

I cheated with enema i requested my nurse to administer it when in hospital before my discharge as i too passed out and trust me i didn't try it hard or sat for longer durations.....i am 7 weeks post op and i do remember how every thought revolves around the POO Fairy initially hahahahahha

Having said that i had good amounts of prune juice and buttermilk with added sugar which helped a lot......at home, its not just the first poo but a couple of them will take a lot of your attention till the week 3 there on its all normal pre op days......
Cheers
Unread 01-24-2012, 05:38 PM

((((SAHamil))))

Rest assured, I am not laughing. I can relate to your frustration and concern, so I'm glad to know you have consulted your doctor. When I finally began having movements, I had to be ultra, ultra careful and it hurt a great deal, I guess from all the healing that's going on inside. Diet can make a difference. I ate prunes and salads and oatmeal and stayed away from cheese and other things that tend to be binding for me. I drank a lot of water, too, and that seemed to help.

I hope you're able to go soon! Take it easy and keep your doctor posted --- I'm sure they told you not to wait much longer before contacting them again, because impaction can be quite dangerous.

Unread 01-24-2012, 05:39 PM

I had this problem as well. My doc told me that if the laxative or the Enema did not work that I would have to go to the ER for them to clean me out. I feel your pain, because I have been there. The nurse also told me to try Miralax. Don't laugh at me either, but after the enema the day after I was able to go, but only standing up and in the tub. Sounds crazy, but it hurt to sit. I really hope you do not have to what I did. Here is praying for ya..
Unread 01-24-2012, 05:40 PM

Oh, and another thing -- although you're not supposed to be back to all normal activity, it is good to get up and take short, careful walks around the house every so often. Staying still and sedentary for long periods can hinder your progress toward bowel movement, too.
Unread 01-24-2012, 05:42 PM

P/s if you can't eat to well, try drinking Ensure or something like it. I found for me anyway that I was able to pass better stools after drinking that on a daily basis and it kept me with nutrients because I did not feel like eating.
Unread 01-24-2012, 06:29 PM

Try Milk of Magnesia (sp) PILLS..yes it comes in a pill!! Saved my life! Also Apple Juice!! I HATE Prune Juice (sorry you prune ladies) so I just got some good old 100% apple juice & I drink it every morning.
I was one of those people (tmi) who never was regular..i am now! lol
Unread 01-24-2012, 06:54 PM

Miralax mixed with apple juice makes me go every time! We all have our own way. Try a few of them, and see what works best for you! Happy Pooing!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register