Worried about the amount of pain after the operation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worried about the amount of pain after the operation Worried about the amount of pain after the operation

Unread 01-01-2002, 03:11 AM
Worried about the amount of pain after the operation

Hi,
Can anyone give me a time frame for recovery. How long will I not be able to do things? How much pain will I really be when I arrive home from the hospital??
Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2002, 05:44 AM
RELAX

Judy, Take a deep breath. It will be ok. Although everyone's pain threshold is different once you have it managed it is far less painful than post op cramps. At 12 days post I am driving and ever so slowly doing a lot of little things around the house. I am currently only taking Ibuprophen for pain and more for anti -inflammatory effect than for pain. The ladies here have been a tremendous help and I could not have done nearly as well without them all Keep in touch Remember to rest,drink,drink and walk oh yes and chat some too!!
Unread 01-01-2002, 06:27 AM

Hi Chuckles

I agree with Marian -- everyone's pain threshold is different. I didn't need major pain meds after I left the hospital on day 3 -- have only been on Ibuprofen. HOWEVER, many women have experienced significantly more pain, but have managed just fine with stronger meds. The doc really knows how to help you with that. Just be up front right from the beginning and tell him/her your concerns.

The big thing to rememeber when you get home is to rest, and relax! You'll be up and about before you know it!

I was up and doing light household chores by day 5. As soon as I felt tired or sore I stopped, rested and then got up and did a bit more. I relate my recovery to childbirth - same kind of soreness down there , same time frame of getting back energy.

Hope this encourages you! Keep checking the posts, and (as I've told everyone else) come to the chat room! It's great fun and also very informative!

Best wishes!
Mary Ann
LAVH/LSO
12/19/01
fibroids, adhesions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2002, 07:20 AM

Hi Chuckles!

I think you will do just fine....be sure to tell the doctor/nurses if you are hurting and you will be given help for that. My most uncomfortable day was the first one. I went home after 2 days and managed very well on just ibuprophen after day4. Truthfully, my biggest complaint was constipation - which was pretty uncomfortable! Good Luck to you!
Unread 01-01-2002, 08:49 AM

Hi Judy!

Here is a link that addresses aspects of post-op recovery. It's from the home page pull-down menu; you may also find that checking out the 'Ladies In Waiting' pull-down section will be helpful, too!

Hysterectomy Recovery Articles

Initial recovery is typically 6 - 8 weeks; full recovery/healing can take 6 months to a year. Major surgery! Keep reading, keep posting; I know that is what helped me the most.

s,
Unread 01-01-2002, 09:57 AM
REST

While each of us experiences recovery a little differently, the basics are to get plenty of rest, drink plenty of fluids and listen to your body. If you are tired and swollen, spend time with your feet up even if you aren't sleeping. Don't over do it, particularly in the first several weeks and then go slowly. This is your time to recover properly...there is no "do-over"!! Rest assured that you will know if you have done too much and take that as a signal to
REST...REST...REST some more! Good luck to you.
Unread 01-01-2002, 05:20 PM
Thankyou everyone

Hi! I feel like such a chicken, but pain is not something I like, or cope with well. I have been sick now for three months, with whopping cough, and a hospital stay with cysts on the ovarys, blocked bowel etc, and the pain from that was horrid. But at least when this lot is over, I should be fine again. My DH is great, and really understanding, and my four boy are very caring, but I am concerned about asking to much from them, being a super mum and all, I hate asking for help. Maybe God is trying to teach me something????? I am still coughing with the whopping cought but I have 5 weeks till my operation, so I should be over it all by then. Life wasnt ment to be easy, but why does a healthy woman like myself, who is hardly every ill, suddenly get everything at once? At the moment I feel great, so I am trying to do some spring cleaning before Im out of cation for 6 weeks. I carnt even comprehend not doing housework etc for that long. And having to ask others to do it just makes me feel ill.
Anyway thankyou for all the encouraging words.
Judy
Unread 01-01-2002, 07:05 PM
Give up Supermom title!

Hi, Judy! Just remember to take your pain meds (either prescription or over-the-counter later) before your pain gets too bad. It's hard to quiet the nerves down after they're overwhelmed with pain signals, so it's better to take something when you start feeling uncomfortable. Also, you may have more pain and swelling with an abd hyst than ladies with a vag hyst, so don't compare your pain tolerance with theirs. As for being a supermom and trying to do all the housework--the pillow police will be on the look-out for you! You really should not be doing any housework or even being on your feet for long periods of time the first week or two. Then you can slowly increase your activity, but nothing strenuous (lifting, vacuuming, etc.) for 6-8 weeks. So you will have to give up the supermom title and become a pampered princess. Let others do the work and help you! Your body really needs the rest to heal properly, and you don't want to cause more swelling in your belly than necessary. Sorry to hear you've been ill and in pain before your hyst. Hopefully you'll be over your cough (it does hurt to cough and sneeze right after abd surg) and feeling fairly well before you have incision pain. But I'm sure you'll be feeling much healthier and better after your hyst, and be so glad you went through with it. Hugs and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 01-02-2002, 08:46 AM
pain management

My trip to the castle hasn't arrived yet, its the 8th. But I know pain!
I tolerated horrible pain for 6 months and didnt ask my dr for a thing. I still haven't recieved my bozo button.

Anyhow, the only thing I wanted to add was that remember ....
if you hurt take your meds, if they wipe you out too much
:eyes: you can half a tablet and take them along with motrin.
Or even 1/4 ...you get the idea.

Best of luck gals, about to get ready for pre-op appt today.
Unread 01-02-2002, 11:21 AM

I had my TAH/BSO with a large vertical incision last Friday afternoon and was okay to leave the hospital on Sunday. I think part of the trick to recovery is to get a spinal in addition to the general anesthesia. The pain has all been manageable. I am having more pain now as I am only using ibuprofen and weaning myself off percoset (by choice). But, as long as I stay on top of it it is ok. I had severe nausea for about 24 hours after the surgery and that was harder to handle than the pain although the hospital was able to mostly control it with medicine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register