Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Hysterectomy

I've posted in here before. I had an ablation back in September 2011 and it did nothing, but make things worse for me. I had longer periods, cramps that felt like labor pains, and nausea the entire span of my period. Yesterday, I had a hysteroscopy that we had hoped would find something, anything that would make this better. My dr. found nothing. So now I have decided to go on with a hysterectomy. I am 32 and even though I can no longer have children, this decision both stresses me out and relieves me all at the same time. My question is for those that have had hystos both abdominally and laparoscopically. I'm not sure, yet which I will be having. So my questions for both sides are: how long was the procedure, how long was the hospital stay, and how long was recovery at home for each one. I just need to know what to really truly expect as far as planning for childcare and housework. I am a SAHM, so all this stuff is what I usually take care of. I just need to know how much help to recruit and how much time my husband will need to take off of work. Thanks so much in advance for your help, advice, and opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Re: Hysterectomy

I also had an ablation done in September that didn't help at all. This months period has been the worst I've had yet. I go to the docs today to get more info. I'm like you - relieved at the thoughts of a hysterectomy yet completely stressed out about it. I will be 40 next month. Have 5 kids (2 that are grown and off on their own - 3 teens at home). My husband won't be able to take much time off due to his work but will prob be able to take 2 or 3 days off. That stresses me out a bit. So between the hours of 8-5 I will be home alone starting the 4th day after surgery. I'm really scared and that's what is causing my hesitation. But reading through the forums has been of great help.
Unread 01-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Re: Hysterectomy

I had a TLH last Monday. He also had to laser out some endo. It took 2-1/2 hours. My husband was off day of surgery, Tuesday to bring me home, and Wednesday. I probably could have made it Wednesday by myself if I had to, but was much more comfortable w/ him home. I also had a relative spend the day w/ me on Thursday. Again, could have made it on my own but felt more secure w/ her here. My MD normally gives 2 weeks off work. I will ask for more time when I go for my f/u on Friday though b/c still feeling very fatigued. From what I understand, your recovery will be much shorter w/ lap surgery than abdominal. The insides take as long to heal but you can get around better w/o your ab muscles being cut. From what I've heard, the lap surgery takes a little longer to perform but is easier to recover from. I found this site a few weeks before my surgery and found it to be immensely helpful. Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register