Exercise 11 weeks post op - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Exercise 11 weeks post op Exercise 11 weeks post op

Unread 02-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Re: Exercise 11 weeks post op

Quote:
Originally Posted by novelette View Post
I have all the same questions as you guys..my doc said I could exercise after 3-4 weeks. but i wasn't sure what kind of exercises.. next week when i see her I will ask.. I have been doing yoga for years,, but a pretty strenuous type.. so i plan to start with gentle yoga first... meanwhile since I live in Florida I ahve begun to walk( slowly) a mile a day.. and this feels good..
let's keep sharing how it goes.. I am only at week after surgery right now.. so it is good to ehar how everyone is doing
I'd be interested in hearing what she has to say. Definitely let's all keep sharing how things are going. It's helped me feel like I'm not crazy. And would love more ideas that would be gentle on the tummy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas49001 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I wondered about doing abdominal exercises. I will stay away from them. I went to my second Zumba class and tried holding in the abs again and it was difficult. I went to my family doctor two days ago and told him about it. He said that it's because of the adhesions. He said that it takes awhile to heal and to take things slow. I'm debating on maybe doing a yoga video instead of Zumba??? I'm lost really on what to do other then walking. And here in Michigan, I can't always walk outside.
If you go to YouTube and search for "safe ab exercises after hysterectomy" you will find several videos. I've been doing some of these and working to gently 'suck in' my lower abdominals when I'm working, sitting, driving, etc. I've also laid in a bath tub full of water (now that my doctor has okayed it) and lift my ankles up to the top of the water. I find that the buoyancy helps to keep too much pressure on my pelvic area, but I can tell my lower abs are being worked. I don't do too much of that for too long though.

Listen to your body and do what you can. :friends:
Unread 02-02-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angke00 View Post
If you go to YouTube and search for "safe ab exercises after hysterectomy" you will find several videos. I've been doing some of these and working to gently 'suck in' my lower abdominals when I'm working, sitting, driving, etc. I've also laid in a bath tub full of water (now that my doctor has okayed it) and lift my ankles up to the top of the water. I find that the buoyancy helps to keep too much pressure on my pelvic area, but I can tell my lower abs are being worked. I don't do too much of that for too long though.

Listen to your body and do what you can. :friends:
Oh... great idea! I didn't even think of doing that with You Tube! Thanks for the tip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2012, 12:12 PM

I had my 6 weeks check up on January 17, 2012. My doctor gave me the go ahead for everything. I take a super abs class , aerobics and Zumba. I asked particularly about the super abs clasee(this is an hour of abs at the YMCA), and she said it would help strenghten the stomach muscles. I went back to class on the 23rd and had very little difficulty. I am however having problems with my heel on one foot (had this problems years ago) . I had not exercised for 8 weeks and when I started back my feet gave me trouble. Who would have thought? I guess all of our bodies are different.
Unread 02-03-2012, 12:39 PM

When I went to the first two sites that popped up when I googles "safe an exercises after hysterectomy," they gave conflicting information! What to do? I wonder if a urologist would have a recommendation?
Unread 02-03-2012, 01:16 PM

There don't seem to be very consistent guidelines as to what you can and can't do for exercise after surgery. My dr gave me the all clear to start training at 6 weeks. I particularly asked about running. He said everything was ok, but just to build up gradually. I have done that, being careful to listen to my body. At just over 3 months I consider I am pretty much back to doing everything I was doing before surgery. This includes swimming laps, running, rowing and some resistance training.
Unread 02-12-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas49001 View Post
I'd be interested in hearing what she has to say. Definitely let's all keep sharing how things are going. It's helped me feel like I'm not crazy. And would love more ideas that would be gentle on the tummy!
I saw my doctor last Thursday, about 2 weeks after the surgery.. she definitely said no to Yoga.. or anything that is tough on the abs.. she told me to keep up my walking and increase the length each week and come back in 4 weeks.. so no gym till then.. she said although I feel great and and very healed on the outside, inside the healing process is still going on.. slower than I thought.. so no lifting.. and no stress..the afternoon after I saw her, I felt more sore than before.. but she did take off the steri strips and and I had the exam..which may have stressed me out too.. so I am taking things slower.. still I worked all week and still am feeling good this weekend.. trying hard to take it slow,and worried how hard it will be to go back to my exercise routine when I can.. don't want to gain weight either.. at my age (60) you just look at food and you gain weight..
Unread 02-12-2012, 12:46 PM

yeah i gave up on dr. giving me any helpful hints by 5 weeks.i just learned to go slow and steady.i have never had an exercise program but i do intend to start now that the constant belly pain is leaving me and i dont have a period everytime i turn around.
Unread 02-12-2012, 01:26 PM

Dear sisters,

I can't wait to start exercising, mainly because I can only fit comfortably in elasticated pants. The pants I use to wear before, I just can't zip up. My waist is huge.

I had put on weight before hyst, but now, it is worse.

I've read we shouldn't do crunches (abs), because it puts pressure on pelvic floor and it could cause prolapse. I don't know if it is true.

If you have any tips, please, continue to share them with us.

I'm just shy of 5 weeks post op and need to lose 6 kgs (about 12 pounds to have a BMI of 25, so, I'm overweight).
Unread 02-12-2012, 01:47 PM

i am 3 months post and there's still days when the same pair of jeans might hurt me.1 day i can,next time cant wear them.
that was one thing besides waiting 6 weeks before sex to not do was any stomach exercises for 6 weeks.
i thought i would gain weight laying around so much for the 1st 3 weeks but i have lost 8lbs!i wonder if anyone knows how much your uterus,and all the stuff besides ovaries actually weighs?
i have always had to do stuff like mowing,gardening and of course job as waitress to get any kind of exercise.i totally envy any woman that can actually exercise i find it totally boring and time consuming.so i am just gonna max up all the stuff i do,cause i dont wanna waste money by joining a gym.but a gym is just really close next to my work but if i am truthful and honest,i would just be losing money by joining!
my hubby exercises daily but i absolutely hate it
stay away from pushing any thing.i pushed my vacummn cleaner at 7 weeks and tore vaginal muscle.but dr. did no exam so he only said "he thought" thats what had happened by me telling my symptoms.i am calling a different dr. tomorrow cause i am still having some issues but they might be where i work alot but i just want to make sure everything is fine w/ me.but i still at 3 months post will start cramping so exercise will just have to wait.
p.s. i threw my scale in trashcan 12 years ago when i got married.lol...dont beat yourself up about your weight,you are who you are.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register