Abdominal Binder?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abdominal Binder?? Abdominal Binder??

Unread 01-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Abdominal Binder??

How soon after the surgery can you, or do you need to, use the abdominal binder? I'm leaving for the hospital at 1:30pm est; so I'm asking before I leave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Re: Abdominal Binder??

You don't need to have one, but many sisters find it more comfortable to be supported. I was the opposite for the first few days, wanting no restriction, but wanted the support once I started walking and standing more.
Unread 01-27-2012, 02:24 PM

I also didn't get one. However, I have been wearing (since about a week post op) a snug "wife beater" or tank top under an oversized t-shirt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2012, 10:51 AM

I didn't put mine on until the day after surgery. Then I lived in it for 2 weeks. I felt like my tummy was going to fall out even when I was lying in bed. Then I started wearing it only if I was going to be up and about. I think I used it for a total of 5 weeks.
Unread 01-28-2012, 10:53 AM

Is the binder only for after an abdominal surgery? Or do people who have vaginal surgeries use one as well?
Unread 01-28-2012, 11:50 AM

Belly binders are a personal choice for all surgery types. I purchased one in anticipation of wanting it, but only wore it a few times. It was nice to have for those few times. Others never use one and others, like Whirlygig said, live in them.

Canadianchic - Hysterectomy is an abdominal surgery, but for you there won't be an abdominal incision. I can tell you from other women's posts that you will, in all likelihood, have some abdominal pain and swelling, too. If you don't, you can count yourself lucky and I will be cheering for you.

Good Luck Ladies!
Unread 01-28-2012, 11:55 AM

Thanks, I knew that I would have abdominal pain, but I didn't know if the binder was support for the incision or for the internal discomfort. I had not heard of the binder prior to coming to this site.
Unread 01-28-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianchic View Post
Thanks, I knew that I would have abdominal pain, but I didn't know if the binder was support for the incision or for the internal discomfort. I had not heard of the binder prior to coming to this site.
I think for most people it feels like your insides are jostling around - and the probably are. The binder just helps you feel like you're holding it all together a bit better. I got the Perfect Pocket binder and liked the cold pack from time to time. It seemed to help when I was feeling extra swelly, but I didn't like wearing it all the time.
Unread 01-28-2012, 05:44 PM

yup - I had da vinci with vaginal removal of the plumbing. BUT, for about 10 days, it felt like my innards were sloshing around. It's a very weird feeling...when I went from laying down to sitting up, it was particularly creepy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register