My Robotic Hysterectomy is Scheduled for 2/3 & I need support! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My Robotic Hysterectomy is Scheduled for 2/3 & I need support! My Robotic Hysterectomy is Scheduled for 2/3 & I need support!

Unread 01-26-2012, 01:34 PM
My Robotic Hysterectomy is Scheduled for 2/3 & I need support!

I'm new on this website and really need some support. Although my mother and friends have been wonderful, for some reason I still feel very alone and afraid. I'm 45 years old and I'm having this surgery on 2/3/12 due to large fibroids, endometriosis and constant bleeding.

I met with my surgeon on Tuesday and although she answered all of the 30+ questions I asked, I still have many concerns.

For example, should I keep my cervix? She encouraged me to have it removed due to my endometriosis but I'm still not clear as to the cons of having this removed.

I'm concerned about being inverted on the table for 3 hours because I heard it can cause severe neck and shoulder pain, especially for someone like myself that has chronic pain in those areas.

I also noticed that there were forums about bowel prep however my surgeon said that was not necessary. She said all I needed to do was not eat or drink after midnight the evening before my surgery.

If anyone has been through this type of surgery (daVinci) and can offer some support/advice, I'd really appreciate it. My surgery is only one week away (2/3/12) and it would be so helpful to speak with others that have been through this.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Re: My Robotic Hysterectomy is Scheduled for 2/3 & I need support!

There is actually a whole section dedicated to the Da Vinci method. I am also getting that done with the Da Vinci on January 31st and have heard nothing but good as far as that was concerned.. I too struggled with the decision to keep it or not keep my cervix. I started a thread here titled "OMG 1 week before surgery and doctor changes his mind anyone who had cervix taken please respond" take a look at it.. it has some great information and helped me make my decision.. I have chose to take my cervix out.. Best wishes to you!
Unread 01-26-2012, 02:11 PM

Forgot to add that I have to have the bowel prep. My surgeon said they do it as a precaution as God forbid the bowel were to get damaged during surgery.. Not looking forward to the Bowel prep but I would not want it any other way..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2012, 02:17 PM

WELCOME! I had da vinci on Jan. 13th (2 weeks post op as of tomorrow). I did not have to do bowel prep. I DID have my cervix removed, but kep both ovaries. You won't even know you've been inverted...frankly, I didn't know until days after my surgery LOL! You WILL have gas pains. There's not much you can do to avoid it. But you can take gasx, you can walk a little bit each day to get the gas moving out, you can eat a regular diet to keep the bowels moving, drink lots of water for bladder movement.

My surgeon said he couldn't do the dav inci without taking the cervix. After much thought and asking friends, etc., I let him take it. I don't need it for anything.
Unread 01-26-2012, 02:38 PM

Thank you ladies for responding so quickly! I'm starting to feela little better already!
Unread 01-26-2012, 03:06 PM

I'm a young 48 and had the davinci 7 weeks ago today. Had cervix removed, kept ovaries. My dr said he could do davinci and leave the cervix, but couldn't guarantee that I wouldn't have mini-periods...that solved that question! No bowel prep either, and I didn't even know that I was inverted (?) lol! The gas pain is the worst part, make sure you take gasx & stool softener so that will be easier, its those first two weeks that get you with that, just knowing that ahead of time made it easier. I am feeling pretty great, in fact, a little disappointed to not be needing to be the "princess" so much anymore...although I'm going to try to keep it going as long as I can! The one thing I regret is not asking if I could wear headphones and have subliminal weight loss music on my iPod to listen while under...seriously, I have heard that can help you lose those last stubborn pounds! Also, keeps your unconscious-subconscious from hearing operating room sounds. Anyway, I'll bet you will be dancing by Easter! I am so happy that I am on the other side of the surgery and not worrying about it anymore! Hugs to you, please keep us updated!
Unread 01-26-2012, 03:34 PM

Callalily, thank you so much for your kind words!

Having total strangers being so kind, supportive and sharing of their own experience is exactly what I need right now!

I found way too much conflicting information online and it was really starting to making my head spin. Communicating with people that are about to have this surgery or have already had it, is such a huge relief.

I cannot thank you all enough and hope that more people will respond.

Unread 01-26-2012, 04:13 PM

No guarantees, of course, but remember that more people (by percentage) go to the Internet (in general, not hystersisters) to share when they have had a bad experience than those who have all things go as expected. I believe that is why it is very easy to google and find disappointing results and awful stories from some folks. I'm not saying those things didn't happen, I just believe there are way more positive experiences to balance them out that don't get shared.
Unread 01-26-2012, 05:43 PM

I had the davinci hysterectomy yesterday (Jan25) only the uterus was removed. I did the fleet enema the morning of surgery..i was told that it would help to have empty bowels so i wouldn't be constipated or have a hard stool. i'm home feeling very good actually, very minimal pain. no bleeding or discharge. im resting and taking the pain meds every 4 hours to stay ahead of any pain. it smooth. surgery was under an hour. i feel good. just relax and follow doctor's orders.
Unread 01-26-2012, 08:07 PM

Monsheri, I know what you mean. I too was a MESS when I posted that thread.. SO many women responded and put myself at ease. I know we all recover differently but I am so less of a wreck after reading some positives.. Tuesday is my big day I am excited and scared, petrified actually.. But this board has helped me so much..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register