My Robotic Hysterectomy is Scheduled for 2/3 & I need support! - Page 10 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My Robotic Hysterectomy is Scheduled for 2/3 & I need support! My Robotic Hysterectomy is Scheduled for 2/3 & I need support!

Unread 02-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Re: My Robotic Hysterectomy is Scheduled for 2/3 & I need support!

Elotta, good decision to let go of the cervix. I believe there is really no need for it once you've had a hyster anyway. I hope things for you go well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2012, 03:59 PM

Hello Ladies,

I'm home, survived an 8 hour surgery (was supposed to only be 3 1/2) and was released this morning at 11:30 am. I could have stayed longer but I felt really good and preferred to be home where it's quiet and comfy.

As you probably know, hospitals are very noisy and they're contanting coming in to check your vitals etc. I barely got any sleep last night but the good news is that I have very little pain nor the horrible gas that most people warned about. The bottom line is that my surgery was MUCH less painful than I thought it would be.

I plan on writing more details about my experience tomorrow, when I have more energy.

If there are any newbies on here that need to talk to someone that just went through the surgery, please feel to contract me.

MonSheri in CT
Unread 02-04-2012, 09:46 PM

SO glad to hear from you!!! I was wondering how everything went.....Sounds like it went well and now you are on the road to recovery...thank God!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Robotic Hysterectomy 2/3

I know this sounds crazy but I slept through the night and haven't taken any pain meds since I left the hospital yesterday. After years of painful periods this pain is nothing!
Unread 02-05-2012, 07:17 AM

Monsheri, I am so glad ur recovering with little or no pain as I did. Please remember the frequent drinks of water, and short walks. The water is to help avoid a UTI mainly but it also helps heal the insides. An 8 hr surgery is way too long, can't wait to read the details of what happened once you are up to it. Also, please make sure that when you feel almost normal by day 4 not to over do it, this is where many of us have gone backwards. You need to lay low for at least 2 weeks as far as I'm concerned and be very careful for at least 4 weeks.
Unread 02-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Re: Robotic Hysterectomy 2/3

Great for you! Glad you are feeling better. I am not too painful but am taking my pain meds anyway because they make me sleepy which makes me slow down. I don't sit still very well : )
Unread 02-05-2012, 10:15 AM

Hello again, just checking in to share more about my experience (for those who want to know...)

On Thursday I did liquid meals such a fresh squeezed fruits in my juicer, a smoothie for lunch and more juice for dinner. Around 3:30 I started drinking the Magnesium Citrate to get my bowlel cleanse going. I should stress that my doctor's only instructions were "no food or drink after midnight". However, from prior experience, I know it's best to do a liquid diet the day before surgery and to do the bowel prep, just in case. Don't get me wrong, I did this with mydoctor's approval and made here aware of everything I was doing to prepare. By the way, about 3 days before surgery I started taking Dolcolax, a stool softener, at least once a day.

Another thing I found very helpful was to get a prescription for Valium. I took 2 the night before surgery and 1 the morning of, again with my doctor's permission. I was told to be at the hospital at 5:30 a.m. and felt very calm and relaxed. A few nurses came to do my vitals and I met with the anesthesiologist, OR nurse and finally my doctor.

It was my preference to have my IV put in my arm, rather than my hand, because I find it to be less painful. Again, the doctors all agreed to my wishes but you have to remember not to bend that arm because it stops the IV and bells go off.

At exactly 7:30 the anesthesiologist said she was going to give me "something to relax" and that was it. I immediately drifted off and don't remember much of anything after that.

The reason my 3.5 hour surgery turned into 8 hours is because once they took a peak inside with their magnifying camera, they found that I had old scar tissue that needed to be removed, enometriousis growning on my intestine and, the biggest problem of all, I had 2 large fibroids, the size of CANTALOPES! Needless to say, they weren't able to pull them out through the vagina as orginally planned. I'll leave it up to your imagination as to how they got everything out through the 6 small incisions that they did on my abdoment.

So, after 8 hours under anesthesia and in surgery, I ended up sleeping in the recovery room for another 3 hours. Once I finally got to my room, I visited briefly with my family and friends but kept nodding off due to the medication. I was given Daloidid which I've had before after surgery so I know it works well for me.

Friday night was pretty sleepless due to constantly having my vitals checked, etc. They got me up and walking around midnight which was much easier than I thought it would be. The good news is that I could drink tons of water and never had to get up to go to the bathroom because the catheter was still in. (No pain or sensation from that at all either!)

By Saturday morning I was feeling very good and my doctor came in around 11:00 and gave me the ok to leave. I got home around noon and just took it easy and slept alot.

I make sure to sit up often, do laps around the house and drink plenty of water. I tried to take some pain meds at one point but unfortunately, couldn't keep anything down. Again, as frightening as this sounds, it was really no big deal.

I cannot begin to tell you how easy this recovery is going and I hope you will have the same experience. Please believe me when I say that I hardly have any pain at all - Ive had period cramps worse than this! BTW, I had my left ovary out in 2006 and they cut me from belly button to pelvis and this robotic surgery is no way near as painful as that was!

By the way, I'm still takin stool softeners and Gas-X, just in case. And just had a piece of dry toast and tea, so far so good. I decided to take some Tylenol because my jaw hurts a bit as well as my shoulder and lower back. I'm sure that's all from being 8 hours in the OR.

Ladies, I really hope that these details help. I'm a big wimp when it comes to pain and I'm telling you, even having my uterus, cervix and 2 cantalope fibroids removed, I feel great.

Hugs to all,

MonSheri in CT

(I'll be posting on the Post-Op Forum from now on)
Unread 02-05-2012, 01:07 PM

Monsheri, I make sure to tell anyone that wants to know that the Davinci Hysterectomy is great! It really is the less invasive method, isn't it? You are doing everything just right. Always remember that when you start feeling back to "normal" not to think you can do certain things like clean, long walks, etc.. You are still mending and anything can set you back. So please continue to rest with feet up and do what ur doing for at least 2-4 full weeks.
Unread 02-05-2012, 02:27 PM

Good to see you are up and online! i hope I will be also, two days post-op. Mine is tomorrow. Keep the faith, sister!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register