My Robotic Hysterectomy is Scheduled for 2/3 & I need support! - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My Robotic Hysterectomy is Scheduled for 2/3 & I need support! My Robotic Hysterectomy is Scheduled for 2/3 & I need support!

Unread 01-29-2012, 05:37 PM
Re: My Robotic Hysterectomy is Scheduled for 2/3 & I need support!

Had the da Vinci 3 days ago, kept both ovaries. The only issue with being introverted is my left neck muscles are sore, really the worst is the gas pains...unavoidable and occur whether da Vinci or not.

No bowel prep, just stop eating and drinking midnight before.

I would recommend stool softeners and milk of magnesia. Also, put some sheets in a pillowcase and use it to support your tummy as a weight (for gas) and to help sleeping on your side.

Everyday gets better!!! Getting it over with and done with whatever issues you suffer from is sooooo worth it. Good luck and make sure you pampered yourself during recovery.....so important (have to remind myself even)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsheri View Post
I'm new on this website and really need some support. Although my mother and friends have been wonderful, for some reason I still feel very alone and afraid. I'm 45 years old and I'm having this surgery on 2/3/12 due to large fibroids, endometriosis and constant bleeding.

I met with my surgeon on Tuesday and although she answered all of the 30+ questions I asked, I still have many concerns.

For example, should I keep my cervix? She encouraged me to have it removed due to my endometriosis but I'm still not clear as to the cons of having this removed.

I'm concerned about being inverted on the table for 3 hours because I heard it can cause severe neck and shoulder pain, especially for someone like myself that has chronic pain in those areas.

I also noticed that there were forums about bowel prep however my surgeon said that was not necessary. She said all I needed to do was not eat or drink after midnight the evening before my surgery.

If anyone has been through this type of surgery (daVinci) and can offer some support/advice, I'd really appreciate it. My surgery is only one week away (2/3/12) and it would be so helpful to speak with others that have been through this.

Thank you!

I had the DaVinci on Dec 22 and had everything taken out. I had the option of keeping my cervix, although my Dr prefered to take it. He explained it to me like this ... if you take out 25% then you have 25% of problem resolved. When there is more left in - there's more possiblilty of problems. I understand that the cervix acts as a cork and that's why when they take the cervix you get a vaginal cuff.

As for being inverted, I didn't feel a thing I was under anesthia and I have not had any problems with my neck or shoulders.

I hear that some of us that had the DaVinci had stitches and others were glued. So there are variations to the method.

My mindset going into the surgery was, I trust my Dr. and this surgery will take care of my problems. All I had to be concered with was healing properly. And that is key. Make sure you do NOTHING. Now is your time to be a couch potato and let others do for you.

A little walking the first week helps the gas get relieved. Sleep, rest and sleep some more.

Hope this helps,
SisChic
Unread 01-29-2012, 08:24 PM

I cannot begin to thank all of you for your helpful advice & sharing your experiences!

What us a "vaginal cuff"? Even though I spoke with my doctor in detail about removing my cervix, she never mentioned it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2012, 09:14 PM

I am starting to freak out a little a well. Got into a huge fight with hubby tonight : ( I kind of can't wait until Friday just to get it done. I have to do the bowel prep on Thursday afternoon. So, I will have to leave work early that day. My doctor said some doctors have you do bowel prep and some don't. His thought is that if something were to need repairing, best to have the bowel empty.

For me, I am just going to keep myself crazy busy for the next 4 days.
Unread 01-29-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I cannot begin to thank all of you for your helpful advice & sharing your experiences!

What us a "vaginal cuff"? Even though I spoke with my doctor in detail about removing my cervix, she never mentioned it.
I copied this from HysterSisters website:

What takes the place of the cervix? I mean, if the surgeon removes my cervix, how is the vagina closed at the top?

The vaginal cuff is created by the surgeon, at the top of the vagina, where the cervix used to be. Think of a tube sock, and how it is sewn at the toes, and you will have a pretty clear idea. Creation of the cuff does not usually result in a dramatic shortening of the vagina.

Hope this helps.
Unread 01-29-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elotta View Post
I am starting to freak out a little a well. Got into a huge fight with hubby tonight : ( I kind of can't wait until Friday just to get it done. I have to do the bowel prep on Thursday afternoon. So, I will have to leave work early that day. My doctor said some doctors have you do bowel prep and some don't. His thought is that if something were to need repairing, best to have the bowel empty.

For me, I am just going to keep myself crazy busy for the next 4 days.
Think and focus on a great result. Just remember that whatever issue you are presently having - which is the reason for the surgery ... will be taken care of and afterwards NO MORE !!! Focus on the result.
Unread 01-30-2012, 08:48 AM

Vaginal Cuff As I understand it is the internal (upper) end of our vagina where it meets the cervix which meets the Uterus. Because a hysterectomy removes our uterus I guess we don't really need the cervix either so the vaginal cuff is sewn closed because we will no longer have anything going up to the cervix or uterus when we have sex. I think of the cervix as the entry way for the sperm to get to the uterus. I had my cervix removed and it was never a question to my Dr or I. I don't need it so I didn't want it. So far, thank God I feel great and don't miss a thing!
Unread 01-30-2012, 09:00 AM

So my boss, the same idiot who first said to me a few weeks ago that "a hysterectomy is no big deal, I know plenty of women that have had them", just asked me when my surgery is.

Me: "It's this Friday".
Him: "Are you scared?"
Me: "Yes, very and I don't want to talk about it or I'll start crying"
Him: "Don't be, it could be much worse. My good friend is having surgery for cancer this week."

Apparently, according to him, I have nothing to worry about and shouldn't be afraid, it's that nice? Such kindness and compassion!

I am sooooooooo looking forward to taking 3 weeks off from work! I guess there are multiple benefits to having this surgery!!
Unread 01-30-2012, 09:31 AM

Hi everyone
I wast old to have a hysterectomy not scheduled as yet-I am going on Wed to have an ultrasound and biopsy(I have Fibroids).I am so scared.Has anyone had robotic hysterectomy for fibroids?
Unread 01-30-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
So my boss, the same idiot who first said to me a few weeks ago that "a hysterectomy is no big deal, I know plenty of women that have had them", just asked me when my surgery is.

Me: "It's this Friday".
Him: "Are you scared?"
Me: "Yes, very and I don't want to talk about it or I'll start crying"
Him: "Don't be, it could be much worse. My good friend is having surgery for cancer this week."

Apparently, according to him, I have nothing to worry about and shouldn't be afraid, it's that nice? Such kindness and compassion!

I am sooooooooo looking forward to taking 3 weeks off from work! I guess there are multiple benefits to having this surgery!!
He is a jerk! A man would never understand. I am allowed to take up to 8 weeks short term disability and plan to use as much of it so that I feel ready for the stress of my job. You should get ur Dr to write a note to him explaining the delicatsey of your recovery so that he gets a hint!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register