return to work date | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

return to work date return to work date

Unread 01-26-2012, 04:08 PM
return to work date

Who decides when you are ready to return to work? I have a demanding job full-time, not at a desk all day, and I worry that my doctor will dictate when I should return, even if I still cannot even a simple shopping trip without getting complete fatigue.

From what I have I found out, it would not be unreasonable to wait up to 3 months before returning to full time work. My workplace will only want me back when I can fully do my job - no part time hours etc.

I do not want to be out of my job for an excessive time, but nor do I want to return knowing that I will not be able to do it. I always have work to bring home too, so I will not be able to "nap" when I get home.

Are most doctors willing to listen and give you documents to extend the sick leave ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Re: return to work date

My doctor said that he wants me out for 6 weeks but if needed he would absolutely write me out longer. I waitress so a TON of "speed" walking during my shifts..
Unread 01-26-2012, 08:37 PM

I was told 2 - 4 weeks, but she also said I could go back sooner if I felt up to it. The surgeon said she would give me a letter for work if I needed it - I told her I don't think it will be a problem.

My job is most definitely not physically demanding - I work in a small office, and the heaviest thing I have to handle is a file. The vast bulk of my work is computer based, and I have a really nice reclining type office chair.

That being said, I have already told my bosses not to expect me in at all until week 2, and even then only minimal part-time - just a few hours to clear pressing emails. Most anything else I can do from home (and already have the equipment to do so). My SO has even offered to drive me back and forth if need be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2012, 08:42 PM

I should also add - I have also warned the bosses that things may change, and that I may need to be out longer than what I am planning right now. My most immediate boss totally understands this, and has no problem with me taking the time I need - she is even the one who mentioned I could work from home if I felt up to it.
Unread 01-26-2012, 09:56 PM

I am going to have a TAH, which supposedly has the longest recovery time. My doctor sent word to my employer that I would be able to return to work in 6 weeks. Although everyone (both the doctor and the office) agrees that it could be sooner if I recover faster.

Luckily I can do some work from home on my laptop. I hope that your recovery is quick!
Unread 01-26-2012, 10:19 PM

I think most doctors are willing to work with you on that. I'm a self employeed hair dressed, just had TAH on 1/17.

I'd normally need to be off work for at least 6 weeks, but am going back to work on 2/8 four days a week starting with 2 hours a day, then working back up to full time by week 12.

After talking to my doctor, he thought that would work. Of course, I have the ability to do so.

If you need more time, your doctor should be willing to consider your job demands.
Unread 01-27-2012, 04:31 AM

I had a TAH and tried to return to work after Christmas at 8 weeks. I had thought that would be plenty of time.

I found that was too soon for me. My back hurt, my swelly belly hurt, because the chair was uncomfortable and my desk was badly designed. I also have to work in a school with teenagers. I lasted half a day and friends sent me home a physical and emotional wreck.
I couldn't stop crying the following day as I felt such a failure.
Everybody except me thought that 8 weeks was too soon!

At my post op check my surgeon said she prefered people to have 3 months off for initial recovery, plus 3 more months of lighter duties.
It clearly depends on the doctor what they think is the recovery time, but everyone's recovery is an individual thing, as well as the type of work you are returning to.

Only you know what the demands are going to be for both those factors, so ask for the time YOU need for your feeling process
Unread 01-27-2012, 07:00 AM

I am a professional cook in a hospital..on my feet all day, lifting 10-20 lbs of product at a time. I went back to work at 5 weeks post op and found that the only issues I've had have been with using muscles that have been laying around dormant for 5 weeks. Shoulders, calves, lower back...towards the end of the day, there is a little swelly belly, but not any real pain. My boss has been very understanding and scheduled me like I suggested when I came back...work a couple days then have a day off. That helped alot!!

As for more time off, my doctor told me he would only release me for full time duty when I felt I was ready! Any good doctor, in my opinion, should do the same!
Unread 01-27-2012, 09:15 AM

My doctor told me 6 weeks initially but after talking to experienced women where I work, they said 6 weeks minimum, 8 weeks optimum. So I started telling them at work 6-8 weeks. When I brought my FMLA paperwork to my pre-op appt. I told my doctor I had told my employer 6-8 weeks. She said 6 weeks is usually enough but I noticed that my FMLA was granted for 8 weeks. My next appt with my gyn is at 8 weeks instead of 6 weeks, so maybe that's why she did that. I've decided to see how I feel at 6 weeks. I do have the ability to go back on a limited basis (I actually only work 3 days a week normally), so I feel certain they will let me work whatever I want initially. Right now I am doing some work at home on the computer and it's fine - though I've noticed sitting for long periods does give me swelly belly.

You can always go back and tell your doctor you need more time. They will usually honor that and give you a note. Though from what I have read, 12 weeks is not the norm even with a TAH. It certainly takes longer than 12 weeks to fully recover but usually people are out of work 6-8 weeks.
Unread 01-27-2012, 09:18 AM

I took six weeks off work, and really should have taken eight weeks off. I am the boss at work, so I felt guilty staying out longer. Big mistake!

It will be you and your who will decide when you go back. You really can't go back until the doctor says it's OK, but he/she will work with you if you feel you need longer. Perhaps a modified schedule for easing back into your work day will be a good idea for you.

When one of my employees had a hysterectomy (after I had mine, so I knew what she was facing) she insisted she was going to be back to work at 2 weeks. I said no way. I allowed her to come back for half days at 4 weeks, 6 hours a day at 5 weeks, and full-time at 6 weeks, so long as her doctor approved.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register