return to work date - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

return to work date return to work date

Unread 01-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Re: return to work date

It sounds as if I will know when my body can take full time hours again. As it is just 3 weeks since the op, I will try to be patient. My workplace do not expect me back until I am really ready to be back doing normal hours so I will wait and see how I feel in another month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2012, 07:20 PM

My doc told me 2 weeks at my pre-op appt. I went today for my 2 wk f/u and told him I was not ready. He was understanding and had me schedule another appt in 2 wks. I was relieved. I asked about the fatigue b/c my DH didn't think it was normal, and the doc said that can last 6 weeks or more. I had lap surgery. Since you are having abdominal surgery, I would be surprised if you could go back before 4 weeks. Even 6 might be pushing it with the high demands/stress of your job. I know it's hard not to stress about this...I did...but just try to focus on your recovery and be upfront w/ your doc, both w/ how you feel and how demanding your job is. HUGS!
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:53 PM

I am 2 and 1/2 weeks post-op.
From my experience so far, the amount of time off work is going to be dictated by my disability company. Once they received all the medical documentation they needed, they sent my employer a certificate stating how long a could take off for PAID leave. They authorized 6 weeks. I called them today and asked what would happen if my doctor didn't think I could go back to work that soon and the lady said that he would have to submit very specific documentation and it would have to be approved by them. Of course, this is all relating to PAID leave. I am sure they wouldn't care how long I am off if I didn't ask for pay.
Anyway, before my pre-op apt, I was under some false idea that I would only need to take off about a week of work. My MD quickly informed me that I would need 4 weeks minimum before returning to work. He was in the same job setting as me prior to going back to medical school. He'll be thrilled to hear that I have been approved for 6 weeks.
I am very optimistic that I'll be ready by then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2012, 09:09 PM

I was told 8 weeks for mine
Unread 01-27-2012, 09:32 PM

Sadly, I've noticed from this site that American's seem often to be shoved back into work before they are ready because they don't have any options. A couple of women from the UK have mentioned they they legally can't drive for 6 weeks and have to provide release papers from their doctor to give to their insurance companies.

So, do what you believe you need to do. Be safe, and take care of yourself while you can.
Unread 01-28-2012, 10:05 AM

I'm in the UK and agree that the time scales mentioned from the USA often sound more about medical insurance than whether it is healthy and safe to return to work. Thankfully here in the UK the combination of the National Health Service and employment rights seem to mean that your health is the main concern, not finance. However, you still need to have doctor's certificates to give to an employer and it is inconvenient be off work for a long time, but I want to put my health first, as I always usually have put work first and do not want long term health problems causing by overdoing it.
Unread 01-29-2012, 07:01 PM

My doctor wanted me off work 6-8 weeks, but I didn't have that much sick leave to take off. I am a police officer and luckily enough they have allowed me to come back "light duty." I went back on Monday, a day before 3 weeks and am doing desk work in plain clothes. I go back to my doctor on 2/13 and that will be almost 6 weeks since surgery and I'm hoping he doesn't say "FULL DUTY"- because the thought of putting a 12 pound duty belt around my waist is scaring the hell out of me!!
Unread 01-29-2012, 07:22 PM

Usually it is a standard 6-8 weeks.
IF you are a nurse, waitress, or mechanic where you do a lot of physical work, it could be longer.
It just depends on you, your doctor's attitude about this, and your employer.
I have heard of employers really coming down hard on women when they are gone longer than the standard. Some get fired.

If you can get 3 months off without complications from the surgery to warrant that much time, you are doing good.
Unread 01-29-2012, 07:25 PM

I am a teacher, so I was back to work within 3 1/2 weeks.
My surgery was minimally invasive, di Vinci.
I wished I had stayed away for the 6 - 8 weeks.
That would have been perfect.
Unread 01-29-2012, 07:28 PM

It sounds like I should live in the UK! Did I read someone gets 6 weeks PAID?!? Wow!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register