return to work date - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

return to work date return to work date

Unread 01-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Re: return to work date

I myself return to work tomorrow after almost 7 weeks of being off. I was very fortunate that I have been paid 100% of my salary from short term disability. I feel for you sisters that have to go back so soon. I hope my 1st day back is an easy one....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2012, 10:18 PM

I am a retail pharmacist, so I rarely get potty or lunch breaks and NEVER sit down. Right now I am set to go back to work on Feb. 22nd which will give me 6 weeks off.
Anybody else out there have a similar job? How long were you off?
Unread 02-07-2012, 03:49 PM

Hi I had op on 16 dec unfortunately complications and second op to bowel on 28 dec going back to work next week phased return nikki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2012, 05:13 PM

I live in the US and had a TAH, and my doctor got 6 weeks short term disability pre-approved for me prior to surgery (fully-paid time off). I'm finishing up Day 4 post-op and feeling great and can't imagine why I'd need 6 weeks, but I'm certainly going to do what I need to in order to heal fully and well.
Unread 02-07-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberdre View Post
I live in the US and had a TAH, and my doctor got 6 weeks short term disability pre-approved for me prior to surgery (fully-paid time off). I'm finishing up Day 4 post-op and feeling great and can't imagine why I'd need 6 weeks, but I'm certainly going to do what I need to in order to heal fully and well.
I said the same thing during my first week post op. I am now almost 4 weeks post op and relieved that I was approved for 7 weeks at 100% pay through my company's disability policy. Each day is different and they are sometimes good and other times not so good.

My doctor initially told me 4-6 weeks, then while in the hospital she said 4 weeks, but 5 days after the surgery, the disability company called, they said they approved 7 weeks. During my two week post op appt, I told her they approved 7 weeks based on the paperwork she submitted. She said if I wanted to go back sooner she would approve it so long as I felt up to it and continued to heal on schedule. I think I may need the extra week to get my sleep pattern back on track.
Unread 02-07-2012, 05:51 PM

I am a mail carrier and I am taking the full six weeks off. Since all my job entails is walking, lifting, and standing. Hopefully my body will be as close to 100% as possible.
Unread 02-07-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopchick18 View Post
I am a mail carrier and I am taking the full six weeks off. Since all my job entails is walking, lifting, and standing. Hopefully my body will be as close to 100% as possible.
In your case, I am not sure that 6 weeks is enough.
Maybe you can request modified work.
Unread 02-07-2012, 06:33 PM
return to work date

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryCate20 View Post
My doctor wanted me off work 6-8 weeks, but I didn't have that much sick leave to take off. I am a police officer and luckily enough they have allowed me to come back "light duty." I went back on Monday, a day before 3 weeks and am doing desk work in plain clothes. I go back to my doctor on 2/13 and that will be almost 6 weeks since surgery and I'm hoping he doesn't say "FULL DUTY"- because the thought of putting a 12 pound duty belt around my waist is scaring the hell out of me!!
MaryCate!!! I was so glad to see your post-I am a cop too My dept has been great and offered me a light duty spot too. I just started back to work yesterday in plain clothes and I'm dying!!!! I cannot possibly imagine a gun belt in a few weeks!

The guys have been really supportive but I don't think I can fight, chase, wrestle someone etc....just typing it makes me tired!!

I hope you are recovering well, hystersister
Unread 02-07-2012, 09:14 PM

It has been almost a year and I finally feel good.

My inner thighs are still weak, but they are improving.

Today I walked about 5 miles, danced in an hour long Zumba class, then swam 57 laps in 40 minutes (slow but sure).

I try to exercise rather than sit home and eat.

It has taken me a long time to get to this point.

At 3 months I was slowly walking for 30 minutes, 5 days a week.
I gradually increased the time by about 15 minutes each month, until I got to an hour and 15 minutes.

I remember that I felt fairly good at work at about 3 months.
Keep in mind that I am a teacher, so my work is not that physical. I do stand and talk for several hours a day.

It gets better and better day by day.

Hugs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register