Abdominal Hysterectomy vs. C-section | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abdominal Hysterectomy vs. C-section Abdominal Hysterectomy vs. C-section

Unread 01-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Abdominal Hysterectomy vs. C-section

Hello girls,
I have a question for those of you who have had both c-sections and a hysterectomy. What are the similarities in the recovery? I've had people say to me, oh no worries, you've had 2 sections...this is the same type of surgery. And then I've had others say, nope...totally different surgeries because you are having an organ removed.
So should I expect a similar type of recovery? I am going to buy myself one of those tummy pillows which I've read a lot of the ladies here say you shouldn't go home without one!
I actually was up and about pretty quickly after my second c-section.....the first one...not so much. Also I've read that some of you had to do enemas before the surgery. Is this something the doctor has you do? Or is it something that you think I should do anyway?
Thank you everyone!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Re: Hsyterctomy vs. C-section

Hi-
I have actually had 2 sections done. On dec 19th I had an TLH. I have to say that the sections were more painful. But the TLH has been a longer recovery time. (If that makes sense) What type of hysterectomy are you having? My uterus was totally fused to my bowel and bladder so I had to do a colon cleanse...which was totally the worst part!! ugg! But I had my ob/gyn and an gastroenterologist in the OR and the gastro dr ordered it. I was prepared to have a colostomy bag...but thank goodness I didn't! Hope this helps! In the long run...I would say that its pretty comparably to a section! Def not any worse!
Unread 01-26-2012, 09:03 PM

I was wondering same thing!! I have had three c-sections and am due for my TAH on feb 13th! Im wondering which will be worse!! And for the bowl prep I asked if i could do laxiatives instead of enemas and he said that was fine> Good Luck with your surgey and recovery!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2012, 09:28 PM

I have never had a c-section, but it would seem to me that having an organ removed would be a much bigger deal. Here is some information on that subject.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 01-26-2012, 09:53 PM

Hi , I am 8 days post op from a robo assisted hyst...removed uterus and cervix. I have had 2 c sections and did ok with each one, I think the first was worse. Anyway, to answer your question, I think the c section is worse by far. But I don't have the big incision either. I have 4 small incisions about 1/2 in. long and held together by dermabond. ...so they are similar recoveries with many variables I guess. You will do FINE after recovering from your c sections well. I had a zillion adhesions also from my previous abdominal surgeries and am doing ok I think. Getting better daily and probably doing too much. Just take it EASY after this surgery!!It's a MAJOR one , I'm told on a daily basis from fellow nurses and friends ...lol. Hope you do well.! And it will be well worth it in the long run if you are having issues now that indicate it. I've also heard a lot of fellow hyster-sisters say that the sex is much better afterward !I'll let you know in about 4 wks.....ugh. Hope this helps !!
Unread 01-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Re: Abdominal Hysterectomy vs. C-section

I had a c-section as well as a laparotomy to remove an ovary years ago. They were able to go through the same 'bikini cut' incision for my TAH 3 weeks ago. On the plus side, since the incision was already so numb, I've had very little pain at the incision site. Still - recovery is a lot longer with a hysterectomy because of all the organ removal and peeling your uterus off of things like your bladder and bowel vs. just cutting you open and pulling out a baby.

Which means even if you aren't in a lot of pain (I'm not - just get a lot of swelling in my lower abdomen) you really need to take it easy.
Unread 01-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Re: Abdominal Hysterectomy vs. C-section

I have had two c sections, laproscopy for removal of ovary and a TAH by far the pain at the beginning i would say is the TAH as i honestly do not remember the others, the recovery for the hysterectomy is longer i seem to remember i was up quicker and easier, with the hysterectomy it is longer, coupled with menopause surgerically induced....HOWEVER everyone is different and some women here have had no problems up and around , alot depends on pain tolerence, type of surgery, fitness level prior to surgery, the extent of surgery. For me I had lots of adhesions/scar tissue inside, alot of my organs were handled more than they wanted (the organs wanted) the surgery took 4 hours, physically was out of the worst pain around 3 week mark, but i did absolutely nothing other than walking as much as i could handle. Rest is absolute necessity, as following your dr's instructions but remember my experience was mine yours will be different your healing, etc....

good luck on your surgery

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register