Underwear?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-27-2012, 06:19 AM
Underwear??

hi ladies
I am scheduled for laparscopic supracervical hysterectomy on Feb 1. trying to get my stuff ready before next week. so here's my silly question....what kind of underwear did you all get??? I usually wear bikinis but I wonder if a big brief might be better?? Something that will not rest on my belly incisions? My girls (14 and 11) and I were in tears laughing about me picking out underwear at Target last night...they of course thought it was hysterical that I was getting such "hideous" undies So I bought some low rise briefs as well as the regular, up my belly button briefs (in a larger size than I usually wear, so they are ginormous )

what worked best for you??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2012, 06:59 AM
Re: Underwear??

I bought the big brief undies, and two sizes too big! They have worked perfectly. They cover my incisions! I am 17 days post op, and I tried the high rise bikinis at first, and they were rubbing on the incision sites. Good luck to ya!!
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:15 AM

Just make sure your undies don't rub against your incisions and they're loose enough to not bind. I bought undies 2 sizes too big. I'm 3 weeks out and wearing my regular ones now, although I still can't stand anything on my belly button. You're smart to think ahead!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2012, 11:48 AM

You're on the right track where underwear is concerned! I wear bikini underwear, too, and the huge briefs were very nice the first weeks after surgery. My bikini ones were ok, too, as long as they were low enough on my hips/belly to not press against the incisions. :-)
Unread 01-27-2012, 02:45 PM

thanks for the speedy replies! Big briefs it is then....my husband will be thrilled when he sees them lol.
Unread 01-27-2012, 04:57 PM

Underwear was a big issue for me as well. Post-op 9 days and I sent my husband to the store to get me some mens briefs in a large size, these are perfect for the swollen belly and long enough to wear around the house. I know it sounds crazy but the mens fit and are so comfortable. Good Luck to you!
Unread 01-27-2012, 10:47 PM

I would say get two-three different sizes sizes, both normal and too big. The briefs were critical because my abdomen was too tender for anything else. The high waistband and low legs didn't hit anything sensitive. I wore the 1+ size too big for the first month then the swelling went down enough to wear the loose/normal size. I'm still having enough swellng to not be down to the regular size.
Unread 01-28-2012, 12:54 AM

I wear bikinis and was back in them by midnight after my surgery. They where low enough the didn't hit anything and my swelly belly I just let hang out. I figured if I needed something else I could DH out for it.
Unread 01-28-2012, 05:06 AM

well...I'm a "go commando" kinda gal...I haven't worn underwear in years (unless I'm wearing white pants and even then its a thong) But I figured a pair of grannies would maybe help me feel more secure around the insicion area, so I bought two pairs last night - my husband and I were in hysterics! these things are HUGE!! I bought XL, (I'm notmally m-l) they're plain on the front but have stretchy lace along the sides. These will go well with the "housedress-type" nighty I got. just put me in curlers and dangle a cigarette from my mouth and I'm ready for my sit-com!
Unread 01-28-2012, 10:44 AM

We're pretty poor right now so I couldn't afford to buy a bunch of different undies hoping I bought the right size/type. I figured I could always send hubby out to buy what I needed. I wore a dress to the hospital so figured I could go commando if that worked ok.

In the end, my normal bikinis were fine. They ended up just below my lowest incisions. I don't think I could have worn granny panties anyway. My belly button was pretty sore and I didn't like anything touching it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register