Scheduled TVH Surgery on Monday...can you say S-T-E-S-S-E-D!!?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery on Monday...can you say S-T-E-S-S-E-D!!?? Surgery on Monday...can you say S-T-E-S-S-E-D!!??

Unread 01-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Surgery on Monday...can you say S-T-E-S-S-E-D!!??

So I've read, and I've researched and I loved having this site and the booklet and still, I'm ,freaking out.

I was hoping my pre-op would've put me at ease more, but that didn't help. In fact, she told me when I got to the hospital I'd have to do a douche and an enema, I think all the blood drained from my face.

I told her, "Enema? You are aware I won't be out of the bathroom until surgery time, right?" She chuckled and said, "Yeah, you'll be in there for a while."

Obviously, she didnt' take me seriously. I had to do an enema pre-op years ago and got to do it the night before in the comfort of my own home and was still on the bowl the next morning. Cleaner surgery??? I think NOT! LOL

Anyway, the dr just called me, and when I heard her voice I thought, please don't cancel this. (So obviously, I realize this NEEDS to be done, even as scared as I am). She continued on to tell me her first patient was cancelled due to medical issues and I'm 1st now. She said the hospital will call me later and I'll probably have to be there around 5:30am. I hung up and again, blood from face...GONE.

Granted, I wanted to be first, to get it over with, but all I am doing is stressing.

I know I can count on my sisters to relax me...please....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Re: Surgery on Monday...can you say S-T-E-S-S-E-D!!??

I feel you I'm getting more stressed every day my date is Feb 2 and I haven't been told anything about an enema yet and have been wondering if I'm going to need one definitely not a fan of them!

You will be find and how lucky are we to have the support of all the people here!!! Best wishes to you hope you have a relaxing weekend!
Unread 01-27-2012, 11:45 AM

I'm surprised they are giving you a douche and enema the morning of your surgery! When I did my prep at 5:30pm the night before I was like you - still needing the toilet when I got to the hospital at 5:30am the next morning.

Is there any way you can reach your doctor again today and clarify the douche/enema instructions? I always figured you had to do that in advance of surgery enough to clear things out as much as possible.
In my experience I find calling and asking my doctor or her nurse with my questions helps alleviate my fears and concerns. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2012, 11:54 AM

I hear you.. My Da Vinci TVH is this coming Tuesday the 31st.. I have to do a bowel prep and clear liquids the day before though.. Stress.. Anxiety.. Panic all starting to settle in...
Unread 01-27-2012, 12:17 PM

You are not alone - your sisters are sending their best wishes, prayers and hugs! You seem to have a good sense of humor - hold on to that. This pre-surgery time is really trying! I know - I am also waiting; my surgery date is February 27th. It helps me to remember all the people who have gone through this successfully before us.

Hugs and all the best to you!

KateinCT
Unread 01-27-2012, 12:34 PM

I agree that you should check with your doctor to see if you can do your prep the night before. I'm scheduled to have surgery next Friday (2/3/12) and was told that I don't need to do any prep. She said all I had to do was stop eating and drinking before midnight the night before. It's amazing how each doctor gives different instructions for the same procedure!

Another thing you can do is to eat very light the week of your sugery. I've been on a Whole foods, organic, plant based diet for the last few weeks and not only have I lost weight, I feel great!

Starting next Monday I'm going to avoid all animal products and a few days before surgery I'm going to only eat homemade vegetable soups, smoothies and fresh juices that I'll make myself. This way, there's no chance that I'll be constipated after surgery and when my bowels do finally "wake up" from the anesthesia, it shouldn't be too bad.

Obviously, you should check with your doctor regarding your diet as well since I'm not licensed to give advice. LOL

I'll be sure to check in after my surgery next week and hopefully reassure you that it's not as bad as we're anticipating.

Hugs,

Monsheri in CT
Unread 01-27-2012, 01:33 PM

[quote=

I'll be sure to check in after my surgery next week and hopefully reassure you that it's not as bad as we're anticipating.

Hugs,

Monsheri in CT[/QUOTE]

Yes, Monsheri, BUT, since I go 1st (1/30), I'll hopefully reassure YOU!

Thanks everyone for your support. And yes, I know 110% positive, that she said the douche and enemas would be done in the hospital because she told me the nurse would tell me how to do them. But hey, it's not my fault if I'm still going during the surgery - I warned her LOL
Unread 01-27-2012, 01:54 PM

Dear Fromthegrove, can u believe my Dr. didn't have me do any intestinal prep at all. I even called his office to make sure they didn't miss this little tid bit and they said I didn't need one. However, I didn't want to have those feelings soon after my surgery since I knew it would be painful to move over to the bathroom so I decided to do one the day before surgery using Miralax which allows me to have a good soft BM in the am before the noon surgery. I am so glad I did bc even with that A.M. movement the first thing I felt after the surgery was the need to go and there was no way for me to move just yet, so soon. Long story short, it is good to have your prep but I would have it early the day before and stay on an all clear fluid diet till surgery. This should clean you out before surgery and then it doesn't become an issue. However as soon as you can walk please drink plenty of water and foods high on fiber so you do not get constipated.
Unread 01-27-2012, 03:20 PM

I am also scheduled for my hyster on the 30th. 8AM i will be rolling into surgery. *gulp* my dr has me doing a bowel prep on Sunday, but i also am having it done differently than you. I am having a LAVH. I would be having the same concerns as you though! But at least if there is a mess, it is there mess to clean up!
Unread 01-27-2012, 07:01 PM

I am 11 days post op from TLH. Was on clear liquid diet the day before and nothing after midnight the day of surgery. Wish I'd known how much the surgery affects the GI dept. Would have started increased fluids, stool softeners, and some Miralax before my surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register