Vaginal hysterectomy...Feels like what after surgery? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal hysterectomy...Feels like what after surgery? Vaginal hysterectomy...Feels like what after surgery?

Unread 01-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Re: Vaginal hysterectomy...Feels like what after surgery?

Ladies, was this with a vaginal surgery? I thought it would take sooner than having a belly cut... wow, I guess I should just relax & get back to work when I get back, lol... Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2012, 05:29 PM

I had a vaginal surgery, the only incision was through my navel for the 'camera'. I took narcotics for six days following surgery and ibuprophen for two weeks. My pillow pet was the best thing to help make my belly feel better. I was told that if I felt well enough, and I was not on narcotic meds, I could go get a manicure a week after surgery so I did!! I was hesitant to drive, but I didn't go far and I felt confident behind the wheel.

Even with vaginal surgery, there is a lot going on 'in there' - stitches and healing going on. You definitely need to take it slow and let your body dictate how much you can do. I was up and about six hours after my surgery and it felt good! I was told to get up and walk around every hour for five minutes when I got home from the hospital (stayed the first night) and at first there were times when I slept two hours and walked ten minutes. The most important thing is to take the meds when you are supposed to and that should keep your pain level down.

sending prayers and hugs, I know this is an anxious time.
Unread 01-29-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubberpenguin View Post
Ladies, was this with a vaginal surgery? I thought it would take sooner than having a belly cut... wow, I guess I should just relax & get back to work when I get back, lol... Thanks
Yes, this was with a vaginal surgery. My doctor told me 6-8 weeks for recovery and he cleared me at 8 weeks. Waited until 9 weeks for sex. I am 7 months post op and still not back to normal. Even though there is no abdominal incision, you will still be having a large organ removed with cutting of ligaments and at least one major artery. Also with the cervix removed the top of your vagina will be sewn up. Keep in mind that we are all different and heal at different rates. But the norm is no lifting, bending, sweeping, vacuuming or anything strenuous for 6 weeks. Also nothing in the vagina, no swimming and no baths.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2012, 06:36 PM

This thread has been great! I will be having a vaginal hysterectomy as well. I was surprised to read that using a belly band or pillow pet was good as I just assumed those were for women that had an abdominal one done. I was honestly assuming this way would be way way easier and I would be back on my feet on days (lol).

Thanks for starting this thread discussion blubberpenguin!! You asked exactly what I have been wondering myself.
Unread 01-29-2012, 06:50 PM

Ur welcome... I knew it would be something because it is surgery & I assumed I would be up & going in no time, lol.... But you know what. I work nearly 7 days a week at times, I should just chill & heal. Thanks for all the advise etc. I will be back posting. I want Thursday to get here & over with. Hoping insurance co doesn't mess with this again. it's stressful as it is....
Unread 01-29-2012, 08:15 PM

No matter what type of hysterectomy you have the end results are the same. I am 7 weeks post op (TVH), and I will return to work next week. You def don't want to overdo it. This surgery has more of an effect of you than any othe surgery I have ever had including csection.
Unread 01-29-2012, 10:07 PM
Vaginal hysterectomy...Feels like what after surgery?

I had a vaginal one done 1-27-2012 I
Stayed one night in the hospital. The pain is not to bad I was expecting worse. My worst pain right now is passing gas and I havnt had a bm yet. It feels swollen and sore but gets better everyday. I wish I found this site before my surgery
Unread 01-30-2012, 12:22 AM

Take colace with water 3 times a day. Even after my bm I continued to take colace 1 time a day for a week.
Unread 01-30-2012, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubberpenguin View Post
Yep - mine was a total vaginal hysterectomy, due to prolapse, with a/p repairs. I retained my ovaries to avoid the menopause but my hormones are all over the place still. I lost a lot of blood as the uterus was bigger than expected and had fibroids. Like everyone is saying, you don't have an incision that you can physically see but it's still a major op, you are losing an organ and you'll have internal stitches that will take time to heal. I still have them 7 weeks later! You'll understand your body a lot more after this op and, really, this is the difficult period as we are still healing but have to make sure we don't undo the work that has been done.
We're all here to support you and give you advise from our experiences - I learned so much from this site and other ladies who had the op the same period.
Take care
Unread 01-30-2012, 06:09 AM

I am 8 weeks today and like you, thought I would be good to go after a couple of weeks. The reality for me was that while the pain was absolutely manageable without narcotics, the fatigue was something I didn't take into account. At 4 weeks, I was still having an afternoon nap and was glad to have more time off work. The average seems to be at least 6 weeks off and I am due back soon, which will be interesting.

My advice is drink lots of water, eat well and increase activity a little each day. It is easy to retreat to bed, but you need to build p some stamina slowly.

The good news is that we all feel better after the surgery and I hope that you find the support here as helpful as I have.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register