Fear of Death (child mentioned) - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fear of Death (child mentioned) Fear of Death (child mentioned)

Unread 02-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Re: Fear of Death (child mentioned)

Also ask plenty questions at your pre-op appt. I hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2012, 07:27 PM

Oh, By the time you get your "margarita" via IV you won't remember anything.
Unread 02-05-2012, 07:43 PM

Arielheart - I too will re-read your post. My surgery is in 3 days and I'm and feeling anxious off and on. Thanks for the pep talk!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxdiva07 View Post
Also ask plenty questions at your pre-op appt. I hope this helps!
I plan to, and feeling super rushed at my dr's is not helping the situation....actually, I need to start a pre-op appointment thread for this purpose.

Thank you everybody for the input. We don't talk about death much in our culture and I need this.
Unread 02-05-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiej43 View Post
It is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN !! The Doctors and anesthesiologists are fantastic you won't even remember going to the operating room next thing you are back in your room I asked my husband if they had done my surgery yet I was in no pain. - best thing I ever did for myself
Amen, sister!
Unread 02-05-2012, 10:43 PM

Also, as I've had time to think and contemplate during my recovery, I also have been needing to figure our my hormone situation since I opted to have both of my ovaries removed (as I'm almost 50 and they're starting to fail anyway). There is quite a bit of confusion about what HRT is the best for what situation. There's so much confusion about this because menopause is considered a rather new concept. Why? Because in 1900, most women died by the age of 48. They never reached menopause. Doctors didn't have to contemplate how to make women comfortable during this time. And t think I know why some of them died. Because they couldn't get a hysterectomy, because hysterectomies didn't exist, were primitive at that time, etc. I know without a doubt that I was a year or two from death if I didn't get this hysterectomy. The surgeon said one of my fibroids was closing off my rectum. So my surgery was like a rebirth for a new life, a second chance , the furthest thing from death actually. It saved my health. Think positive thoughts and best of luck with your surgery.
Unread 02-06-2012, 03:27 AM
Fear of Death (child mentioned)

Hi greenie1111
I want you to know this is a natural fear. Please put all your faith in God that be will bless you and guide your Dr through the surgery. The only thing that helped me through the pre op death worries was my faith in God. With God all things are possible.

Good luck and God Bless you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie1111 View Post
Hi Everyone. Not to be morbid in any way, but is it ultimately the fear of death that makes surgery so scary? I know that is it for me, but I have read tons of posts and haven't heard anyone say it yet. I hope I'm not stating the obvious, but I would love some discussion.

I'm a single mom, and have really no one else to care for my son, it's completely on me. This creates enormous anxiety surrounding death that I didn't have pre-child. I know I will be a much better mom without the health issues I have now, but there is a tiny part of me that wonders if it's the right thing to put myself at risk. Having said that, you can drive yourself crazy with this stuff. Should I then not drive, not fly, etc.

Anyone else having these thoughts and feelings?

My Dr. has a demeanor that is pretty much all business--which is fine with me as long as she gets the job done. But during our consult, she was clear about risks, there could be problems, it could end up being an abdominal once she gets in there...etc. Things can go wrong... It's unnerving. I'm okay with a long healing time and pain, I'm not okay with dying. If I had a crystal ball and knew everything would be fine, I'd be chomping at the bit to get in there and do it. Really tired of continual pain and horrid periods and this huge interruption of life.
Unread 02-06-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielheart View Post
Also, as I've had time to think and contemplate during my recovery, I also have been needing to figure our my hormone situation since I opted to have both of my ovaries removed (as I'm almost 50 and they're starting to fail anyway). There is quite a bit of confusion about what HRT is the best for what situation. There's so much confusion about this because menopause is considered a rather new concept. Why? Because in 1900, most women died by the age of 48. They never reached menopause. Doctors didn't have to contemplate how to make women comfortable during this time. And t think I know why some of them died. Because they couldn't get a hysterectomy, because hysterectomies didn't exist, were primitive at that time, etc. I know without a doubt that I was a year or two from death if I didn't get this hysterectomy. The surgeon said one of my fibroids was closing off my rectum. So my surgery was like a rebirth for a new life, a second chance , the furthest thing from death actually. It saved my health. Think positive thoughts and best of luck with your surgery.
Very interesting point. Thank you arielheart, I'm so glad you did so well. Getting my life back is my motivation and hearing that this worked so well for other women keeps me on this path.
Unread 02-06-2012, 10:12 AM

I am terrified about this. i have wanted to post about it. but the thought of typing it out made it even more real. I have a condition called Von Willibrands - basically my blood takes longer to clot then it should. I have 5 children. my last one was a crash c-section. It took them 2-1/2 hours to stop my bleeding. I came very close to death. they left my husband sitting on the hallway floor crying and not telling him what was going on. Because of that experience he will not even discuss the possibility of me dying. But I need to know that my kids will be ok. no one will talk about it with me. i just get brushed off saying all will be fine. so i have written letters, they will go in my hospital bag. and WHEN i wake up and am ok i will destroy them and my family can just carry on as normal
Unread 02-06-2012, 10:36 AM

Thank you for sharing that TeaLady. Some of us Need to talk about these things, but for some reason it's very taboo. I can see why you are worried with your added risk, but since they know going in, they have ways to prepare for this, right?

I keep thinking I am putting myself at risk when my son needs me and that haunts me. Planning to talk to the dr. about it at pre-op. When I read the other women's stories, I'm not sure I'm suffering enough to do this. Some women bleed all month...I have terrible periods with abnormal bleeding and it keeps me in the house that week. It's very hard, painful ect. But should I just soldier on to menopause--that's what I keep asking myself. For the sake of my child. On the other hand, for the sake of my child, should I not be a fully functioning mom??

People keep telling me to pray. I'm not religious! That does not help me, I'm more of a Buddhist. There is a small comfort there, but I do not believe in heaven and those things that bring people comfort. Maybe I need to post an existential fear thread! Surely I am not alone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register