Anesthesia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-01-2002, 04:08 PM
Anesthesia

This is the first time I am posting. I have been reading all I can from this site and from the HysterSisters book I ordered. Everything is very informative and helpful. I am scheduled for my surgery on January 24th. I have a huge fibroid that makes my uterus the size of a four month pregnancy. I have no other symptoms but UTI when I have intercourse (I will be 48 in 2 weeks). I have had two opinions and they were both to have the hysterectomy (though one said total and the other said to leave the cervix and ovaries). I will leave my ovaries and cervix since I have had no signs of menapause or family history of cancer. I have done some research into anesthesia and I am debating with whether to have general anethsia or an epidural or spinal. The DR said he would perform the surgery anyway I prefer? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2002, 04:21 PM
Anesthesia

Hello-- This is such a personal choice. I think you need to decide what YOU are comfortable with. Their are negatives and positives on both sides. After much soul searching I decided I was comfortable with general as long as I could get something to keep me from getting sick as general can do that to some people and I am prone to being that way with anesthesia. I found out about an anti-nausea drug called ZOFRAN and that sealed the decision for me. But this is entirely up to what you are comfortable with. Good Luck and come and visit us in Chat!
Unread 01-01-2002, 04:25 PM
Anesthesia

Hi and welcome to Hystersisters! Isn't this the greatest site and I love the book too, not only for myself, but I have friends who do not go on the internet so it's nice to have something to lend to them that will really help.

Since your doc is leaving it up to you it's really personal preference. I opted for general...didn't want to see anything, hear anything, or know anything. I guess you might say I'm a ! But, oh well, that's just me. Many women opt for epidurals...I think you can be awake with these or they can give you something to relax you so you sleep. General anesthesia makes some women sick when they come out of it. This was not the case with me...I just get crabby...my dh said, "so what's new?" But, that's just when I first start coming out of it. I dared not ask any of the nurses what I might have said or done! So, to make a long story short, do your research and keep asking and I'm sure you will come up with the right course for YOU to take.

Sending s!!

Sherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2002, 04:44 PM
Anesthesia

If you had asked me a month ago (before my surgery), I would have screamed at the top of my lungs....LOCAL...SPINAL...EPIDURAL--ANYTHING BUT A GENERAL!!!!

That said, I had a general because there was no option (she said I'd be too uncomfortable and would think I couldn't breathe. I had an epidural before, and she is right!).

At any rate, I was SOOOO nervous about the general. I expressed my fears to my anesthesiologist. He gave me Versed ahead of time (WONDERFUL). I refused all meds afterwards for fear of getting dizzy (huh???). DUMB move. I was nauseous after my general, but it wasn't horrible, and if I'd had MEDICATION (dummie that I was!) I probably would have felt much better!

12 hours later I was in pain (I'd refused all pain meds as well). They gave me phenergan for nausea and demerol for pain. It was GREAT and I could see how people get addicted to the stuff.

Sorry I can't tell you which is better. IF you have an epidural, see if they can give you versed as well. You won't even know you had surgery.

By the way, IF they have to give you the epidural up pretty high, it can make you feel as if you can't breathe.

AND--general anesthesia isn't what it used to be. It was truly "no biggie." I guess it also depends on the competency of your medical professionals. We use nurse anesthestists here (there are about four n.a.'s working under the guidance of an actual anesthesiologist). They are absolutely fantastic. I urge everyone to have their surgery up here in Northern MN!
Unread 01-01-2002, 05:45 PM
Anesthesia

I spoke with my gyn last week about not having the general. My friends think I am crazy, but I am very afraid of being intubated and all. I'm not trying to scare anyone here, but I do know someone who went in to have her tonsils out and they wound up doing CPR and using the defib. So needless to say I'm afraid of it, especially since I will be in the same hospital as she was. My gyn's answer was and I quote "I've never had anyone awake before, but I'm game". I did find out however that it is up to the anesthesiologist. Apparently this is something I need to discuss with him at my pre-admission testing when I meet him. My surgery is Tuesday and I still have not heard from the hospital about my when to come in.

Like the ladies said, it's a personal preference. I have been all over the internet researching the general, spinal and epidural. I have read that they can control with other drugs, i.e. sedative, etc. how "awake" you are. You may feel some tugging or pulling, etc. The different procedures all have different side effects. I know if I can I'm opting to stay awake.

Good luck to you in your research and decision.
Unread 01-01-2002, 05:53 PM
Anesthesia

I do think anyone waking up from surgery these days on the table is quite rare. I however was afraid of this and really had to pray hard. My fears were for naught and I am not aware of anyone here who has had that experience either. I guess you could find one bad experience from somone out there but it is quite rare indeed. We just have to pray and trust God!
Unread 01-01-2002, 06:12 PM
No general for me either

I had a spinal/epidural combination and you can read about it at the Princesses who tell there stories at this link. If the link doesn't work just look for the one titled My TVH while awake with a spinal. I had a terrible experience with general before during a laporoscopic procedure (the only choice for anesthesia is general with laps because of the gas) and if I have the choice I would never do general again. I did get zofran prior to the surgery to prevent n/v. Zofran is a drug you want to keep in mind as it's a new drug that has been used for chemo patients. Compazine and phenerghan didn't stop my heaving previously and I had an allergic reaction to the compazine. Even though I was awake I could not see anything due to the sheet in front of me. I did feel them moving me on the table to get me positioned but after that I didn't feel anything. The spinal pretty much took care of that. No Pain whatsoever. If you get a general you do get intubated while a respirator assist your breathing. Patients often wake up with a sore throat. One lady on here said she had a problem that they couldn't intubate her and had to manually assist her respirations during surgery and now she has to wear a bracelet saying she can't be intubated. With a spinal/epidural you do have the option of being put to sleep (I was given versed) but not so heavily enough to require intubation. My breathing was so good that when I went to recovery the nurse was about to put oxygen on me and the anesthesiologist said I didn't need it. Another plus was that I requested for the epidural to stay in for post-op pain relief so no morophine PCA pump needed.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=41676
Unread 01-01-2002, 07:06 PM
Anesthesia

I know there are always horror stories, and NO ONE could have been more afraid of a general than I was.

It TRULY depends on the quality of your medical care. When we lived in Reno, I had reason to be afraid. I had a general at a day surgery place and it was horrible. My son had a general when he had his jaw broken (deliberately) and IT was horrible. I used medical care in Northern Nevada for nearly 14 years and had many problems. We deliberately moved 2100 miles to get better medical care (for my children) and I have NOT been disappointed. I never expected that I would be the one who needed the medical care, however!

Try to get a feel for your anesthesiologist and doctor. I was VERY VERY VERY comfortable with the nurse anesthetists and the anesthesiologists here in Northern MN. I discussed my fears with n.a's ahead of time. I am very devout in my religious feelings, and found several doctors and n.a's who felt the same way as I do, and that REALLY helped.

Not only did I have surgery, but my daughter has had two surgeries here and they have gone as well as mine.

In Reno, since I was so afraid of the care, I had a spinal with my last surgery. I had NO complications with it, but I did NOT have to have any gas inserted in my abdomen. I know that some people have spinal headaches, but I didn't.

The problem with being the 'first' to have some type of procedure done with a spinal is that you ARE the first. Things may go differently that the doctor is familiar with. But, if the doctor doesn't mind it, and you are game to try it, then you should.
Unread 01-01-2002, 08:23 PM
Bookaholic thank you

Quote:
Originally posted by bookoholic
If you had asked me a month ago (before my surgery), I would have screamed at the top of my lungs....LOCAL...SPINAL...EPIDURAL--ANYTHING BUT A GENERAL!!!!

That said, I had a general because there was no option (she said I'd be too uncomfortable and would think I couldn't breathe. I had an epidural before, and she is right!).

At any rate, I was SOOOO nervous about the general. I expressed my fears to my anesthesiologist. He gave me Versed ahead of time (WONDERFUL). I refused all meds afterwards for fear of getting dizzy (huh???).

By the way, IF they have to give you the epidural up pretty high, it can make you feel as if you can't breathe.

AND--general anesthesia isn't what it used to be. It was truly "no biggie." I guess it also depends on the competency of your medical professionals. We use nurse anesthestists here (there are about four n.a.'s working under the guidance of an actual anesthesiologist). They are absolutely fantastic. I urge everyone to have their surgery up here in Northern MN!
Thank you for your post. It made me feel so much better about the fact that my said no to the spinal for me cuz of length of surgery. I would have hated to feel like I couldn't breathe (possibly). I too am nervous but what you said about the medicines helps. Thanks sister!!
Unread 01-01-2002, 08:41 PM
I've had General

Hi Shegot,

I had general for a Lap about a year and a half ago - I had no problems to speak of. My voice was very hoarse afterwards but I didn't have any pain in my throat, and I only got nauseated once when the nurse left me in the bathroom Luckily I made it back to my bed to lay down before the nausea got worse! Prior to surgery I was given some kind of "happy medicine" (probably Versed?) and I truly did not mind the thought of surgery - I even hopped over onto the table without them even asking The only unpleasant side effect for me was a terrible medicinal smell coming from my breath - the nurse said it's the body's way of getting rid of the anesthesia, but whatever the reason I'm sure my visitors didn't appreciate it

I've thought about the epidural for my hyst, but I've had a spinal before and it didn't go well - I got a terrible spinal headache and had to have a hideous procedure called a "blood patch" to remedy it (they remove blood from your hand and pump it into your spine to plug up the hole created by the needle) :cry: From what I hear this is rare, but it's still enough to keep me from doing it again - however I've talked to people who had no problems at all and would have another epidural in a heartbeat. As everyone has said, it's an individual thing - best of luck to you and I'm sure whatever you choose it will go just fine!!!

Heidi

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register