Anesthesia - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-03-2002, 02:43 PM
Hi

It is a question I think we all ask, what would be better spinal or general. It is more what you would be comfortable with.

All I can tell you is what I went through. I am 4 weeks post op.
The doctors tryed to do a spinal on me several (6) times, but they couldnt find the space between the vertebrae (hope thats right spelling) to numb the area. After trying for awhile they said that I must be getting tired of them poking my back, and said they would just use the general. When I woke I didnt have a morphine pump, I was told it was due to having a TVH. But the pain wasnt to bad.

So sometimes even through you have picked to have a spinal, it might not work sometimes.

Take Care
JudyS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2002, 03:35 PM
Anesthesia

I must say, with all the experiences of the "sisters", I am truly leaning towards the direction of the spinal. I had a hernia repaired about 7 years ago using a local and was up for the entire surgery, though they had difficulty numbing me. About an hour after surgery, I went home and I was fine. Eleven years ago, I had nasal surgery using general anesthesia. I was not nausated but I couldn't find a place for myself. I felt as if my body was creeping out of my skin. My son on the otherhand, with the same surgery, threw up for several hours, not a good thing.

I am a person who needs to be in control at all times, though I don't want to be awake during the surgery. This is major surgery, unlike my other operations. When I gave birth to my first son 23 years ago, after 28 hours of labor, I chose to have an epidural because I was exhausted. It was a breeze after that.

So you see why I am having difficulty making this decision. I just don't want to be sick after surgery. I'll have other things to deal with, why add something I can avoid?

You all are just great. Thanks!
Unread 01-03-2002, 04:09 PM
Anesthesia

Excellent post, Judy. I had forgotten to mention that even with the best of intentions, some things don't go as planned. I have heard your story from others who said the same thing about non-successful spinals. And, when I had some surgery to repair a tear from delivering a big baby, I had an epidural. The doctor and anesthesiologist said, "please know that if things don't go the way we want, we will have to do a general."

They did NOT have to do a general--things went fine.

PS--Shegot--I am a control freak as well. That is one reason I don't drink or use drugs or anything--I cannot STAND not to be in complete control of my body. That sounds weird, but that's how I am.

When I had surgery 8.5 years ago, I was SO out of it. It was AWFUL. I stressed that to the anesthesiologist (that I couldn't stand to be out of it). Whatever they used, I was not out of it. When I awakened in my own hospital room, I was very much aware of things.

BUT--remember--MY experience won't necessarily be yours. It really depends on your relationship and communication with the doctors!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register