Keeping the cervix??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keeping the cervix??? Keeping the cervix???

Unread 01-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Keeping the cervix???

I am scheduled for hys on March 5, 2012. I have a choice of supracervical or total hysterectomy. I, like Elotta (post dated 1/28/12), have major concerns regarding future sexual pleasures being diminished if the cervix is removed. I have always been very aware of my cervix during sex, as well as my partner.

I have read posts, including gmac4_11's 1/24/12 thread. Very helpful, but I am hoping to encourage more post-op women to respond who have had the cervix removed and have had sex.

I am having surgery due to fibroids, suspected recurrence of endometriosis, pain, and increased bleeding. For the past 6-8 months, I have had gradually inreasing pain with sex. If I don't have sex for a week, sex is great, but if I have sex again the next day my cervix is tender and sex is somewhat uncomfortable.

My mother and 2 aunts have had cervical cancer and had total hysterctomies, so there is history here.

I would love as much information and personal experiences as possible with regard to post-op sexual experiences, specifically when the cervix has been removed.

I need to make a decision soon... and I am SO VERY torn.

Thank you in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Re: Keeping the cervix???

My thread helped me calm down regarding taking the cervix. There was not one single negative posted.. Not sure if you seen in the thread a part where someone mentioned that if you keep the cervix, fibroids can grow into it. That would be a concern for me as fibroids is my main issue.. Good luck with your decision.. It is a tough one to make..
Unread 01-29-2012, 11:50 AM

I must have missed that mention in your thread. Thank you for pointing it out. My largest fibroid is very near the vervix, so that will now be a point of discussion with my doctor.
Thank You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2012, 12:05 PM

It is in the last 3 or 4 pages someone went into detail about what her doctor said..
Unread 01-29-2012, 12:07 PM

Page 7 last reply..
Unread 01-29-2012, 12:21 PM

Well, I figure I have until Friday morning to decide. Given all the women that have said their sexual experiences are good if not better I think it's ok to let it go.

I am also concerned about the flap/cuff thing. I have read that the cervix helps to support your stuff. I also think it's best to keep as much of your anatomy as possible.

The downside to me would be any bleeding. I am ready to part ways with that part of being a woman.

I haven't heard any responses from those that have kept it and been fine??
Unread 01-29-2012, 12:23 PM

I was undecided for a short time as to removing my cervix based on the effects its loss might cause me sexually. I opted to have everything removed and to go on HRT. I had multiple large fibroids as well as cysts and polyps and my ovaries were strangled with endo. Pre-hyster, my sex drive was extremely high and I loved everything about it. My orgasms were intense. Now post da Vinci about 14 weeks, multiply everything by 50 and that's where I am now. I have an even more ridiculous sex drive. My personal lube has not been effected and my orgasms are debilitatingly good and even easier to achieve. Since I'm on HRT, my moods are even and I feel fantastic!! I never knew about the whole "mini period" thing before I found this sight. That alone would have enough for me to have the thing out. Now, I have no risk of cervical cancer, no more paps, no nothing. I'm beyond happy with my choices. Sex is amazing-no planning around anything. I am most definitely on the removal side but I understand it can a difficult decision. Good luck with your choice, surgery and recovery : )
Unread 01-29-2012, 12:35 PM

See I read a ton of good responses with leaving the cervix. I researched and found what I thought to be more negative with taking it until I posted that thread and found all that replied had great outcomes with taking it.. I am taking it out now but again my fear lies with that vaginal cuff. I am going to wait longer to resume sex just to play it safe..
Unread 01-29-2012, 12:48 PM

The vaginal cuff thing is weird. My gyn is quite conservative. She had me restricted for sex until 8 weeks or until I felt ready. We actually waited one more week before we "did it". It was scary but only mentally. I was mildly achy, but it was fine. Plus, I was a powder keg of want : ) I think if you follow all of your post op instructions and communicate with your partner, cuff worries should be minimal. I'm completely unaware of anything missing vaginally. I'm totally aware of the 11.6 pound uterus being gone however. I had to buy new pants since my belly is significantly reduced. In reading, it seems that cuff issues aren't that prevalent and what issues there are are minor. Again, take it easy and follow post op orders.
Unread 01-29-2012, 12:49 PM

During my first discussion with my GYN, she said it used to be believed that keeping the cervix helped support things inside post-op, but that more recent studies have shown that keeping the cervix has no affect on support. I asked my family doctor his opinion, and his experience and opinion confirmed my GYN's opinion.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register