TAH mini hot flashes? Going back to work too soon? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

mini  hot flashes?  Going back to work too soon? mini hot flashes? Going back to work too soon?

Unread 01-29-2012, 08:29 PM
mini hot flashes? Going back to work too soon?

So, I wasn't having this as of last monday when I talked to my Doc, but I think I'm having mini hot flashes now.

I just suddenly get very warm and break out in a light sweat. It's noticeable because I'm not doing anything but laying down.

I still have one ovary, which was all I had going into surgery.

Anyone else experiencing this? Does it stop at some point or should I be concerned about menopause? I do plan on talking to my doc about this at my 2 week f/u on Wednesday.

Also....I'm really concerned I'm going back to work too soon. I'm a hair dresser and self employed in the US. I have no leave, no income, and no insurance. So I feel like I have to go back to work to work up to working again.

I had TAH on 1/17.
I'm planning on going back to work 2/8 on a 2 hour a day schedule 4 days a week, then adding an hour every week until I'm back to full time.

So I'll have 3 weeks off from the day of surgery until I go back.

Right now, I can only stand up long enough to take a shower and dress (about 20 mins). I can walk into the store, but not shop around without a scooter cart. I can't sit up for very long yet either (about 20 min).

I go back to work in 10 days.

I'm open to any advice because I need to move clients around if I'm not going back next week.

Now I need to go lay down.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Re: mini hot flashes? Going back to work too soon?

It certainly sounds like just like my hot flashes. I was peri-menopausal when I had my surgery but the hot flashes became more frequent and more noticeable after surgery. I am trying Evening Primrose Oil as I am starting to get tired of them since I have had them on and off for almost 4 years.

As to you returning to work, having only 3 weeks off seem very short in my opinion. I know that my tummy got very heavy after standing for a short period of time at 3 weeks post-op and I had an uneventful recovery. You might want to schedule lie down time in between clients or if you can afford to be off another week, it might do your body good. Sometimes there is a huge difference on how you feel from week to week but you won't know that until you get there. I know my answer isn't terribly helpful but you do need to listen to your body so you can heal without complications.

I wish you the best of luck!
Unread 01-29-2012, 09:04 PM

Haha maybe that's the problem. I haven't taken my primrose oil in days. I keep forgetting my vitamins. I actually take it for random unexplainable breast pain.
I only have one client a day scheduled that first week then two a day the next week.
I think I might have to reschedule people though. I just can't afford not to heal from this.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2012, 09:44 PM

Yep like they say on here often, you only get one chance to heal properly. Take it if you can. Maybe even do every second day so you have a day to totally veg in between. Good luck
Unread 01-30-2012, 07:52 AM

Sounds like hot flashes to me. I get very light ones around the time my patch needs to be changed.

I had my TAH Jan 3rd and I'm not sure I'm going to be ready to go back to work at 6 weeks! Last week I worked from home at my kitchen table for anywhere from 2-3 hours a day and I paid for it. At the end of the day, swollen abdomen and achiness. A few times I could tell my vagina was swollen because it felt like it was going to fall out! I ended up feeling very tired and emotional by Sat. I need to do the same thing this week and am not looking forward to it. Am going to try and do more work in bed. Take care. With this recovery, even a small amount of activity will cause pain, swelling and fatigue.
Unread 01-30-2012, 08:03 AM

Dear Lorraine907, my experience is that when I am on my feet for more than 30 mins at a time I feel a lot of pressure start to develop in my lower pelvis area. Please keep in mind that our insides as they heal they release fluids from internal incisions and if we are upright sitting or standing all that fluid settles at the very bottom of our ab. This feeling is painful and can even develop into an abcess like my Dr thought I had at 9 days post-op. So please re consider the time on your feet too soon. Can you have clients come to your home instead?
Unread 01-30-2012, 08:38 AM

I was planning on working after two weeks but read on here to take my time going back, I ended up waiting four weeks, VERY good decision. Now I am 11 weeks out and feel great. Back at gym etc, still a bit sore at incision and a little bloat thing there. but I would wait
Unread 01-30-2012, 03:51 PM

scorp, It would be easier to work at the salon. It's only a 10 min drive. I'm planning on a stool to work from, but it's still sitting up right, which at 13 days doesn't last long.

I think I'm going to contact some of my hair dresser friends and see if they can take my clients. I've already missed one wedding, and will be missing another. *sighs* This is so hard to be down and out. I'm so used to being up and moving all the time.

lol, knowing I shouldn't be working next week is almost as hard as dealing with living with two people that have ADD and can't see the trash on the floor!

Oh dear god, please give me patience with myself!

Back to the hot flashes, anyone notice of this happens more about the time you're ovulating? This was the week I would have been bleeding if I hadn't had surgery 13 days ago and I'm wondering if maybe it's aggravating the hot flashes.

Thank you for all the advice and comments. I'm going to work on moving clients some more because I just can't see this working so soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register