Lower Abdominal Pain When Urinating | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lower Abdominal Pain When Urinating Lower Abdominal Pain When Urinating

Unread 01-30-2012, 09:33 AM
Lower Abdominal Pain When Urinating

Hello, I am new here. What a wonderful site! I had my abdominal total(?) hysterectomy 2 weeks ago tomorrow. I had my uterus, cervix, and fallopian tubes removed, and kept the ovaries. I am 42. I had a large 10 cm fibroid that was possibly degenerating. I am doing well and feeling strong but sleeping sometimes 10-12 hours a night. I get somewhat sharp abdominal pains off and on and am not sure if it's gas or from the wounds inside. I find the flow of urinating a bit slower than normal, and I get abdominal pains towards the end of the flow. I sometimes wake up in the morning with a mild headache (never had headaches before much at all!), and I'm still bleeding about one or two minipads a day. Have others experienced these things? I don't have an appointment with my surgeon until the 6 week mark, and it's hard to get through to the office with questions, as she is so busy. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Best wishes to you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2012, 09:59 AM
Re: Lower Abdominal Pain When Urinating

I slept for 10-12 hours the first few weeks too. I guess we're lucky since a lot of people get insomnia. You will probably continue to get random pains for a while. I still get them at my incision sites and sometimes other places. As long as nothing looks infected or the pain is persistent and awful it probably is fine. Knitting tissue sometimes hurts.

I still have bladder issues. My bladder was being compressed quite a bit and now that it is not it is still sensitive although it gets better all the time. You still have lots of swelling so it is still not normal and will probably feel odd for a while.

Headache might be from the position you're sleeping in or if you are still taking pain killers. Since it is mild I wouldn't worry so much about it.

It doesn't sound like your bleeding excessive. It may have an odd odor but if it's not foul it is probably normal too. I didn't have much in the way of bleeding but I know many other women do.

If something is alarming you should call your dr. It sounds like you're having a pretty typical recovery going on. Often, a nurse can answer your questions so if you can use a nurse call line at your hospital or insurance they may be able to answer your questions. Also, the dr. probably has a nurse on staff who can help you too. Don't feel like you can't call your dr because they are busy. This is what they do and they should answer your questions.
Unread 01-30-2012, 10:05 AM

Hi Bagel!

Welcome to Hystersisters! It is a wonderful site!

I had my hyst many years ago, but I remember feeling that icky lower abdominal pain at the end of urination flow, too. Not pleasant. I definitely had acute symptoms throughout the first few weeks of my recovery. There were times when I felt great, and then sometimes I felt awful and experienced pains of various degrees and types throughout those first weeks, although it got better and better as time wore on.

I was not able to keep my ovaries, so I did not have a lot of bleeding, but I certainly had discharge and needed pads for about 3 or 4 weeks after my surgery.

I think it's always a good idea to call the doc whenever you're concerned; they're the ones who really know you and your case and medical history. But it is also SO nice to be able to interact with others to compare notes and share experiences.

Thank you for being here and sharing! Hope all goes well for you and we hear about your recovery progress!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2012, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the helpful replies!!
Unread 01-30-2012, 01:48 PM

I sometimes have the pain when emptying my bladder as well as a slower stream, but I notice it happens when I'm not drinking enough water. On days when I drink water constantly, I am pain free. The bleating/discharge would concern me. Other than the spotting in the hospital on day 1, I have not had a drop of blood or discharge. I've had my cervix removed but kept my ovaries and tubes. I'm considering myself lucky and am praying that I will never need another pad or liner again.
Unread 01-30-2012, 02:04 PM

I also have that discomfort and slower urination. Drinking lots of water not only helps that but it keeps my headaches away (starting having them post-op). For me, I'm 99% certain the bladder discomfort is due to swelling in that area. Your bladder sits on top of the uterus, so there's bound to be swelling.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register