Scheduled TAH 2 weeks from today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks from today 2 weeks from today

Unread 01-30-2012, 03:41 PM
2 weeks from today

I will have my TAH on Mon. Feb. 13. At this point I am getting extremely nervous and edgy. I have never had any type of major surgery and it does not help that I am a legal assistant for a medical malpractice attorney Yikes. All I see all day, every day, is medical mistakes! Which, needless to say, is not helping. SIGH!

My DH has been working hard to help reassure me that everything will be fine and we'll manage but I am a control freak so I still secretly think the world is actually going to stop without me running it. LOL.

My boss is giving me absolute fits...worse than usual since finding out that I'll be gone at least 4 weeks, maybe 6, and it's really stressing me out.

Just venting. Love the site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Re: 2 weeks from today

Sometimes it takes something major like a surgery to teach us control freaks how to let go and accept that others, too, might be competent in their own ways. I'm sure that you are a detail-oriented person, which likely makes you very good at your job, but you can't define this process. It will unfold as it should

Perhaps this is a time when you can learn to surrender yourself just a little bit. Trust that others will do what is expected of them, and that you will focus on your healing and recovery.

I, too, had a TAH, 9 weeks ago. My recovery was so much better than I expected, especially with all the "what ifs" I had set up before the surgery. The reality was so much easier than dealing with every possible negative outcome!

Yes, you will be sore. Yes, you will be tired. And, yes, you will feel better. Just give yourself the time and space you need.
Unread 01-30-2012, 06:04 PM

Hi teepee
I will have my surgery on feb 13th also. I'm nervous and the waiting is so hard just want to be done already! I'm trying to keep busy getting things done around the house. getting things done I know I won't be able to do for awhile.
I have my pre-op testing on the 8th and should have my very last Period around the 6th. I'm not a sit around type of girl so that's gonna be hard for me but both of my parents will be with me the first week to keep me from doing anything I shouldn't heehee.good luck with your surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2012, 08:53 AM

Thanks for your replies.

I just saw my family doc and she has scheduled me for an echo of my heart due to a stress test I had last October showing a low ejection fraction and because I have a heart murmur so she wants it checked before the surgery. Hopefully the EF has risen or at least stayed the same, if it's lower I'll have to get clearance from a cardiologist.

Previous blood work she did a few weeks ago showed low iron - no doubt resulting from the bleeding issues but at least it helps explain some of my extreme fatigue.

I am trying hard to focus on a few months post surgery and feeling much better, but it's difficult. It's hard to explain to people that one of my biggest fear is pain meds. I just hate pain drugs - the few times I've needed them for dental work, I could barely stand taking them. I HATE the feeling of being "messed up" and unable to function mentally. Drives me crazy and I will never understand why some people do drugs on purpose, LOL. That's good in a way, I suppose.

My thoughts are clearly all over the place and I apologize. Hopefully all the pre-op stuff goes well. If I had my way, we'd just do it right now and get it over with, waiting for the date is hard.
Unread 01-31-2012, 09:09 AM

You can get off the hardcore pain meds after your short hospital stay if you like and feel you can manage. I did that. I switched completely to Aleve after I left the hospital. Was sore the first week, but fine after that. Best of luck with your surgery!
Unread 01-31-2012, 09:23 AM

Thanks...I am hoping that I won't need the hard core drugs very much, but I've also been told not to try and be to tough and let the pain get out of control. I guess I'll have to play it by ear.

I see you had a TAH because of fibroids, which is why mine is being done as well. Do you mind me asking why both ovaries were removed...as of now my doc is saying that she will not be removing my ovaries unless she "sees something while in there"?
Unread 01-31-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeePee1970 View Post
Thanks...I am hoping that I won't need the hard core drugs very much, but I've also been told not to try and be to tough and let the pain get out of control. I guess I'll have to play it by ear.

I see you had a TAH because of fibroids, which is why mine is being done as well. Do you mind me asking why both ovaries were removed...as of now my doc is saying that she will not be removing my ovaries unless she "sees something while in there"?
I decided to have them removed after a discussion with both my GP and surgeon. I'm turning 50 this year, menopause symptoms have started, and there's a history of cancer in my family. I decided they would be more of a liability than a benefit moving forward. My GP (a female) said that it's extremely hard to detect ovarian cancer.

If I was 20-45ish, I would have kept them.
Unread 01-31-2012, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the explanation. I was curious if it was planned or not. I'm 42 so the plan is to leave them unless, as I said, she notes something that indicates it would be better to take them while she's in there. Guess I'll know when I wake up.
Unread 01-31-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeePee1970 View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I was curious if it was planned or not. I'm 42 so the plan is to leave them unless, as I said, she notes something that indicates it would be better to take them while she's in there. Guess I'll know when I wake up.
I would probably keep them too if I was 42. Not worried about heart disease or osteoporosis. My 5 siblings are all between ages 60-72 and mostly male and have no heart issues at all. Two of my brothers are late in life endurance athletes. I do jiu jitsu which is great for weight bearing and cardio. My bone density tests are off the charts excellent.

I say all this because it enforces my belief that the decision to keep or not keep the ovaries is such an individual decision where you need to look at your unique family health history, your age, your health, etc.
Unread 01-31-2012, 07:35 PM

I had a TAH and was off all narcotics in less than 48 hours. I took Advil and Tylenol from that point on, and stop all apin medications in under a week. I was uncomfortable, but it was manageable. Each one of us is different.

I had my ovaries removed because of endometriosis. Because of an endometrioma, my left ovary was the size of a softball, and my uterus was like being 19 weeks pregnant because of the fibroids. I feel so much better now!

Good luck with your surgery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register