Scheduled dVH/RALH Hyst after brain surgery (kid mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hyst after brain surgery (kid mentioned) Hyst after brain surgery (kid mentioned)

Unread 01-31-2012, 02:49 AM
Hyst after brain surgery (kid mentioned)

Hi,

I just got scheduled today for a da Vinci hyster on Feb. 21st. I was anticipating getting in about six weeks out, not three, so I'm feeling a nervous and need some time to get used to the idea.

Last year in April and again in July, I had brain surgery to remove a benign skull lesion which grew between my left eye and my brain. I had to wait for weeks on pathology reports (sent to Mayo) which ended up "inconclusive" and then later a very generic description of "benign vascular process." Recovery from brain surgery is 3 months and I had two so my recovery took quite a long time. At this point, I just get scanned every six months to make sure nothing is regrowing there.

Now that I am released from my neurosurgeon, I have scheduled a hyster. I've been dealing with heavy, anemia-inducing and painful periods for several years now. They seem to be getting worse. After years of trying herbs and several hormonal methods, lastly a Mirena IUD (the past year and a half - I just had it removed a few weeks ago), I am finally at the point of being out of options other than surgery.

I have felt like a guinea pig for so long between the gyno issues and the skull lesion, I just want this mess over with. I decided to do a hyster over an ablation because it will take care of all my issues, but an ablation might or might not and would likely need repeated or lead to a hyster anyway.

I feel a little guilty because people keep saying to make hyster my last option, but I don't want to try the ablation. I've researched it a lot and I've weighed my options. It always comes up favoring a hyster, so why do I feel guilty? Has anyone else felt this way?

I also feel guilty because I've leaned on my friends so much in the past 10 months with everything related to the brain surgeries. They told me not to worry about it (so I am trying not to). And I already have a friend who said she'd watch my 8-1/2 year old homeschooled daughter. Whew!

I'm worried about telling my DD about this upcoming surgery. The other ones were very traumatic for her. She has anxiety and has been in counseling. I think it will help that I won't have a shaved and swollen head with a bunch of staples this time. I just have to make sure she doesn't climb on my belly, as she's very physical.

My DH is being very supportive. He is taking the week off to help me out. He will probably work from home the following week, as my doc said I am not allowed to drive for two weeks. He also said no sex for 8 weeks. I think he's very conservative with his post-op recommendations, but I plan to follow them because I don't want any complications. My gyno issues and everything else have made sex practically non-existent anyway, so I think the hyster will actually improve my sex life with DH after the waiting period.

I am 41 years old and unless there is a medical reason to remove them, I am keeping my ovaries. Both my regular gyno and the da Vinci surgeon agreed that the cervix needs to go due to a history of dysplasia (it's resolved but they don't think it's worth the risk). They also said I was not a candidate for vaginal hyster due to size of uterus and my ligaments are very tight. I was surprised at this, but pleased about the da Vinci being a good option because at this point, I am most interested in a quick and less painful recovery.

I am a little concerned about taking pain meds again. I had rebound headaches from taking percoset, tylenol and ibuprofen after the skull surgeries. These headaches have finally resolved for the most part. (It's a common side effect after crani-surgery, esp. if one has a history of migraines, like me.) I guess I'll add this to my list of questions for the doc and maybe also ask my neurology nurse.

I have a history of depression, OCD and panic disorder, which had been under control using naturopathic amino acid therapies for a few years. However, after the trauma of my skull lesion issues this past year, the depression and anxiety have returned. I am worried about this getting worse with the upcoming hyster, but really, now that I have finally scheduled it, I feel much less anxious than earlier in the week.

I think I just need a hug.

If you read all this, thanks for your patience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2012, 07:34 AM
Re: Hyst after brain surgery (kid mentioned)

I had the DaVinci on 1/3 and did have my ovaries removed. I can tell you, mine went so well I cannot believe it. My surgery took 3hrs40min and when I woke up, I was uncomfortable and they gave me something right away. I went home that same day. They gave me 20 pain pills and I still have 13 left, and honestly the last 2 I took just in case. The worst pain was the gas from surgery (which no meds will make that go away) and it lasted for me about 4 days off and on, and it was uncomfortable getting in and out of bed for about 3 days. On the 4th day after my surgery I even went to Sams club and walked around for awhile. Now, I am 4 weeks out, feel fantastic, which is kinda the difficult part because you feel like you can do anything as before, but your not quite ready. Best of wishes to you.
Unread 01-31-2012, 08:11 AM

Dear Dancing Popcorn, I am so sorry you've gone through so much with the brain surgery issues and I am sending you a hug. Please know that I had a davinci hysterectomy on Jan 6th and like China2000 I felt great at day 4 too! In my opinion it is the best way to go. My surgery was at 12:40pm and lasted for 5 hrs due to complications but I was on my feet just hrs after surgery holding a pillow to my abdomen for support so that the pain of the gases would not be so bad. I went home the next day less than 24 hrs post op. I needed help getting up off the bed for the first two days but was on my own being very careful by day 3. Please make a note to drink plenty of water before and especially after your surgery because this helps with the bladder and gases, and make sure to take a lot of short walks after surgery which will also help with gases. I really didn't need any pain meds by day two which were just Motrin 800 but I'd take one every 24 hrs just to make sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2012, 11:10 AM

((((DancingPopcorn)))) That's the best I can do in the hug department without being there. Hope it helps.

Absolutely don't feel guilty about not trying ablation - it's effectiveness is not guaranteed. Like you, I was just plain tired of being tired due to constant heavy bleeding and subsequent anemia. My hysterectomy solved all my bleeding and pain issues and I'm feeling great. Despite keeping my ovaries, I'm having some hormone issues now, but am confident that they can be resolved eventually. I think the hyster jump started menopause.

It sounds like you have a lot of support. Don't feel guilty about needing a helping hand so soon after your previous surgeries. You are doing this to make yourself better and I'm sure you will have the opportunity to repay the favor once you are recovered and back on your feet. Kudos to your husband for his support as well. Some sisters have not been so lucky.

About that sex - no your surgeon was not being over conservative; 6 to 8 weeks is the norm before being declared fit for all normal activity, even sex. Da Vinci just means your abdominal incisions will the smaller, but the reality is the internal 'damage' is roughly the same for us all and that part of the recovery is likewise the same. It goes faster than you think it will.

I hear you about the sex. Pain and perpetual bleeding puts a real damper on romance, or even just pure lust. I know. I have to tell you my sex life is much better now and my husband is quite pleased with this surgery 'side effect'.

Wishing you all the best. Take care.
Unread 01-31-2012, 11:21 AM

I caution you to not think the DR is being too conservative is his post op orders. Well, maybe the driving. I was restricted while on narcs. I drove to my first post op at about 3 weeks and I was sore. Shopping at Sam's Club? I never could have walked it at 4 days. At 2 weeks, I walked while shopping and had to rest in the butter aisle. I'm very happy for those who bounced back so rapidly. I tell you my experience because everyone's experience is unique. I am 46yo and had a dVh/BSO. My surgery took almost 5 hours due to my extremely large uterus. I'm almost 15 weeks out and I feel the best that I've ever felt, I mean ever, in my whole menstrual life! I'm on HRT-a Godsend for me. Good luck to you and use this site for help and support : )
Unread 01-31-2012, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the virtual hugs and responses.

I keep reading 6 weeks for sex which is why I thought my surgeon was conservative. Either way, I am fine with waiting 8 weeks. I am looking forward to not feeling "gross" down there or being worried about pregnancy. I really hope I don't end up with a yeast infection, but the doc said to remind him to put me on Diflucan since I will be getting some anti-biotics.

I am a bit concerned that my recovery will be "slow" since I've had so much stuff done in the past year. But it will be what it will be and I'll take it one day a time. If I put it off I will end up anemic again and scheduling life around periods which is not acceptable. And I really want to have some fun this summer so this is the best time to schedule to give me time to heal before my planned travels. (I actually have plans this time, unlike last year!) Last summer I was either in surgery or recovering from surgery the whole time. I felt frustrated and left out, like life was passing me by. I didn't even get to do simple things, like go to the outdoor movies let alone camping or traveling.

At least once the hyster is done, I will have one less major thing to wonder and worry about. Having to make big decisions is very stressful for me, as is ambiguity. I have a few chronic health issues and I'd been making great progress with them; I just got interrupted by the skull lesion thing. Now I am getting back on track and the hyster should fix one of the main things that's been sapping my energy for years.

Thanks for the support.
Unread 01-31-2012, 12:05 PM

The reason the doctor said two weeks for driving was that he is concerned about stressing the ab muscles if I needed to slam on the brakes or something. I am a belly dancer so I really don't want to mess them up any worse than necessary. I'm making arrangements for others to do the driving.
Unread 01-31-2012, 12:19 PM

Belly dancing is the best!! This will help you much in your recovery, yeah!!! You seem very on top of your health challenges. The hyster can mess with your hormones, ovaries or not. I reccomend keeping an on going dialogue with your practitioners regarding any symptoms you might endure. I chose to have my ovaries out for this reason. I wanted to be able to exactly tweak my hormones to suit me and keep me even; unlike the psychotic hormone roller coaster I was riding. I am truly so pleased with this surgery and I wish this for you too. We have similar challenges and having this surgery had put a serious dent in my depressive/anxiety issues. It is so great to not have to plan EVER SINGLE aspect if you life around your cycle. I say cycle like I could rely on it to be consistent, ya right...but, that's a whole other soap box : )
Unread 02-01-2012, 12:50 AM

Thanks, Sharona.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register