Is it really true??? .... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is it really true??? .... Is it really true??? ....

Unread 01-01-2002, 09:16 PM
Is it really true??? ....

.... that stress can change your menstrual cycle and even the flow of the period itself? I've also been sick and needed amoxicillin(was still taking it when this period ended, supposedly, today). Can antibiotics change the flow, too? The reason I ask this is because after dealing with heavy and prolonged periods for over 3 years, I find it too coincidental that this 1 period could be light for no apparant reason. It still lasted 9 days(about 2 days shy of how long they have been)but just wasn't as heavy. I know I am stressed worrying that my insurance company won't approve my hysterectomy. I can feel it through my whole body how tense I am and I have lost 5 pounds in just a couple of weeks without even trying... I find out tomorrow if the insurance has given approval or not, but it seems this night will be a loooooooong one. Any thoughts or advice on this? You ladies are the greatest, btw! I have read many, many posts, but this is my first thread. I find that all of you answer a lot of questions before I even have a chance to ask them.... I am grateful for this site's information and the wonderful ladies that share so much about their own experiences!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2002, 10:01 PM

I know that stress can effect your periods. Never heard about antibiotics doing it (but do know some can decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills). Let us know what you find out about the insurance company's approval.
Unread 01-02-2002, 07:01 AM
Hello

Stress can do incredible things to your body. I have taken lots of antibiotics over the years ( chronic sinus infections) they have never changed my period. Stress on the other hand yes.

You need to relax it is all going to work out!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2002, 03:01 PM

My guess would be that if antibiotics can mess with the effectiveness of one's BCPs, then they must be having some influence on hormones. It they are influencing hormones, then they might be able to affect one's period. Two big "if"s there, but heck, it's a thought.

Yes, stress can do a lot! Something I vaguely remember from my past life as a (reluctantly) fertile woman is that worrying about possibly being pregnant can make your period late. Life isn't fair that way, is it?

Any chance, since you haven't been feeling well, that you've been taking anything else? I know when I took Aleve for cramps it also dramatically reduced my flow (to something just below flooding...).
Unread 01-02-2002, 03:18 PM
Thank you ladies....

I think you are very right about the stress. I think I stressed so much about the insurance approval, that I am actually sick all over again. Woke up with a bad cold and sore throat. I must have supressed my immune system by worrying so much. All last week, the nerve on the inside of my knee kept twiching uncontrolably(very strange)like the way your eye sometimes will. LOL ... Wierd! The only other thing that I was taking besides the antibiotics was advil. Maybe it was just a combination of things.. The GREAT news is that I got a call from the s office a bit ago, and my surgery has been set and approved with a 3 day castle stay..... I will be so glad to have this all over with and get healing and then get my life back! Thanks so much to all of you that responded. You gals are the best!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register