1 week post op and having horrible pain in my left side...is this normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 week post op and having horrible pain in my left side...is this normal? 1 week post op and having horrible pain in my left side...is this normal?

Unread 01-31-2012, 12:49 PM
1 week post op and having horrible pain in my left side...is this normal?

Hello, My name is Jessaca. I am 28 and just joined this group. I had my hysterectomy 7 days ago and had my right ovary and tube removed 12 days prior in a separate surgery. I had a supracervical hysterectomy and it was done laparoscopically. I have a horrible pain in my left side that doesn't get better with pain medication. I cannot lay on either side of my body. I can only sleep half sitting up, because it hurts so much to fully stretch out. I went to the ER 2 days ago and they did a ct scan and said everything looks normal, but I don't feel normal. This hurts so bad it makes me cry. Has anyone experienced this before, is it normal? Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2012, 01:50 PM
Re: 1 week post op and having horrible pain in my left side...is this normal?

I had left-sided pain after my hysto (an LSH) and also several years ago after a lap tubal ligation, much like what you're describing. In my case, it was due to the retained CO2, which they pump you full of during lap surgeries for better visualization. I wonder if that could be what's causing yours as well? If I were you, I would call the surgeon and see what they suggest.

Hope you feel better soon!
Unread 01-31-2012, 02:18 PM

I had the same problem on one side and it turned out that after straining with bowel movements I had torn the left ligement holding up my bladder. They reapired it and I am in such pain from the surgery. I can hardly stand but it's because of the tenderness and strain I put on my pelvis. I sugesst you talk witht he dr and find out what you might be doing to add to your pain. Stay off your feet and butt for a few days and see if that helps ease the pain. You must have everyone help you with everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2012, 02:41 PM

I am having the same pain. I had laparoscopic surgery. I had my right ovary removed but have pain on my left lower abdomen. It is about one inch from my incision. It hurts constantly but is a sharp stabbing pain when I move certain ways. I went to the doctor yesterday and he told my to put a heat pad on it. I have been doing that but I think it makes it worse. It has hurt this way since I woke up from my surgery only I think it is getting worse instead of better.
Unread 01-31-2012, 03:54 PM

Thank you ladies for the advice. I am going to call the doctor in the morning. My pain too was there right after surgery. I was throwing up pretty violently in the hospital and I wonder if I did tear something. I tried to ask the doctor about it before I was discharged from the hospital but he was so cold and really just rude to me. He didn't examine me at all or look at the area I said was hurting. Thats why I have hesitated to call him. When I told his nurse about the pain and the medicine not working, she told me she thinks I have a chemical addiction to pain medicine. Because I have been on them a lot this month. I had 2 surgeries this month, what does she expect? I am so upset with the way his office has treated me and that has made me reluctant to call him, but I think I just have to on this because it isn't getting any better, its getting worse. Louisianna I hope you feel better soon. Good luck! Omangel thank you so much for the information and I hope you feel better soon! TangoRomeo thank you for your insight I will call the doctor asap. Thanks again!
Unread 02-01-2012, 08:28 AM
1 week post op and having horrible pain in my left side...is this normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by omangel View Post
I had the same problem on one side and it turned out that after straining with bowel movements I had torn the left ligement holding up my bladder. They reapired it and I am in such pain from the surgery. I can hardly stand but it's because of the tenderness and strain I put on my pelvis. I sugesst you talk witht he dr and find out what you might be doing to add to your pain. Stay off your feet and butt for a few days andsee if that helps ease the pain.
You must have everyone help you with
everything.
How did you know it was a torn
ligament? What tests were done and how did your doctor fix it? I am going
to the doctor tomorrow and just want
to know do I can ask him about that ad a possible reason for the pain. Thanks again so much!
Unread 02-01-2012, 10:12 AM

So my thoughts are are you bleeding? some spotting is normal but if you fill a pad in one hour you have a problem. That is not saying that inside you are not bleeding. I had a CAT scan done and it was able to see fluid I had that they thought was a possible abcess. My dr also was able to see that the ligiment had torn he just was not able to know how bad and if it was repairable. Lucky for me it was repired with a lot of permante stitches. What I do know is when you started vomiting that was the worse thing for you they should have made sure to stop it promptly. i was given tons of anti vomiting meds. it is so delicate down there that laughing, coughing, farting, passing stool can all tear stitches. get a belly binder or keep a pillow close to help counter the pressure. using your hands to hold down the area is good. you dont want tugging. My thought is you might want to talk with another dr in the same office about following uo care. Talk tot the office manager about the attitude your getting and explain that you know your sensitve but feel you need to be heard. Unfortunately people in cronic pain who use stronger meds are treated like drug addicts. I am fortunate that either my pain is not that bad or I have a high tolerance and I refuse the extra drugs I hate the side effects I dont get treated like that, in fact i usually get a weird look wondering why I dont want strong pain killers. I just know I will overdue it if I numb myself uo too much that I want to feel a little down there. I hopr some of this helps you get better help. If the office is really bad change dr even now. Get the care you need!
Unread 02-01-2012, 10:50 AM

Wierdly, I had a similar experience. Doc removed a large cyst from my left ovary. I had pain on the right side! I wondered if the ligaments that held everything in place, before, had to readjust to the new balance of things. I had my hyst. Jan 5, that pain is gone, now. I use heat pad and ibuprofen, now, and it helps the other aching a lot. And, stay off your feet--no matter what others may say!
Unread 02-01-2012, 09:11 PM

No I have not bled at all since they removed my uterus. I am going to the dr tomorrow and I will make sure he hears me this time. I am so upset with the way he treated me. I am still hurting but just in that one spot. I can be sitting on the couch and if I have my legs just the wrong way I get thus horrible burning and stabbing pain and it's hard to move. It's the strangest thing I've ever felt. Hopefully I get some answers soon.
Unread 02-01-2012, 10:26 PM

Jessa.. I am very sorry you were treated that way. It is enough for all of us to be dealing with this surgery emotionally but to be heald in the hands of a doctor that is cruel adds to it I am sure. If it were me personally I would find another doctor to do my follow up care with.
Best of luck to you sister. I pray a speedy recovery to you..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register