Visiting the "Post -op" thread was not my best idea! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Visiting the "Post -op" thread was not my best idea! Visiting the "Post -op" thread was not my best idea!

Unread 02-01-2012, 05:17 AM
Visiting the "Post -op" thread was not my best idea!

Ok, so it's 4 am and I am awake because I keep worrying. Then I jump over to the "post-op" side to see what to expect afterward. Not my brightest idea! Now I have even more to worry about.

I had no idea that people are coming home with their cath's in place! Is this common? I really want to be peeing on my own when I leave the hospital. I was just thinking it would be like the cath experiences I have had in the past.

ARGH! Why did I look over there? Like I didn't already have enough on my mind!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2012, 05:26 AM
Re: Visiting the "Post -op" thread was not my best idea!

Aww Banana.. I might be one of those lucky ladies this morning going home with one.. I doubt it though. They thought so late last night but so far so good this morning.. Don't over think it to much. I think that is what got me like this.. so worried about going. I did however tell them to stop my pain meds for a few hours and just give me an Ibprofen and that helped a ton..

Maybe all the meds while under surgery compounded with the meds after surgery had my bladder sleeping..
Unread 02-01-2012, 05:47 AM

I really had to filter what i read the couple days before surgery. It helped to visit the hysterectomy stories thread and read all the good experiences! I had a hard time pee'ing on my own, but it happened and I didn't have to cathed again! My experience has been great! It was not as bad as i thought. I am home and comfortable. My biggest challenge now is to remember i did have major surgery and rest, even though i already feel better than i did pre-op!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2012, 06:03 AM

I remember feeling that way, too. These boards are incredibly supportive, but of course it's human nature to start a new thread when we have a concern, question, problem, etc., perhaps more readily than when we have something cheerful to report. Luckily, there are plenty of cheerful threads too, and reassurances in the responses to most of the questions and concerns.

I never had a catheter (Foley) before this surgery. It was not at all uncomfortable and was removed easily before I tried walking. In my case the bladder was a little lazy so they reinserted the cath (PAINLESSLY, EASILY) for a few hours and the next time they removed it everything was fine.

Everyone's experience at the castle is a little different, but things work out. A good relationship with your surgeon is so helpful, and communicating clearly with the hospital staff, including asking questions as they come up, will do a lot to ease your anxieties.

Good luck and let us know how everything goes!
Unread 02-01-2012, 06:36 AM

This is a wonderful website for support,helping others and gathering information before surgery or after. However at the same time looking to far ahead can cause undue stress as most of the post are from those that have had a problem or are concerned about something so we dont see as many positive stories comparative. Its good too go into surgery with all the knowledge you can but you have to remember we are all different and heal in our own way and you very well may be the part of the other side that did not experience anything negative. For now stick to the preop section. If you have a problem or questions following surgery then go too the post op section. Good luck

Tracy
Unread 02-01-2012, 07:22 AM

I have no idea if you come home with one or not. But I know how it is working yourself up so that you dont sleep. I am so bad for that. I go in Feb 13 and with the exception of last night i havent been sleeping more than an hour or two at night, sitting up with the "what ifs". I found out which OTC sleeping pills i could take and DH picked them up for me. I slept 8 hours last night. You need to find a way to get some sleep. and try not to psych yourself up like that (I know easier said than done)

I have had a few surgeries and always had a cath. I have never come home with one, but they are easily removed and i have had no issues from it afterwards.

Hang in there, try not to worry. You will do great!
Unread 02-01-2012, 07:25 AM

Try not to stress bananahater. There have been some great positive threads in post-op. I have noticed that those often disappear from the first couple of pages the fastest. Maybe it is because those ladies don't need specific advice. Please remember that complications are the minority of cases; we just hear more about them. Complications are possible and real, and the ladies experiencing them need the support of other post-op ladies.

My recovery has been almost text book perfect. Other than over doing it and getting my hand kindly slapped by my NP, all is good. I am 7 weeks out. I have had an great supportive hubby, my kids are pitching in and helping, incision looks good, go back to work Thurs and I am easing back into my life.

Now sit back and relax. Breathe, breathe, breathe. Now stay off the post-op side until after your surgery. No need to get all stressed before your procedure.
Unread 02-01-2012, 08:28 AM

Going home with a catheter is not common. It just so happens that when you checked the post-op, there were a couple of ladies with posts about that subject. Most ladies go home without a catheter. I've had three abdominal surgeries, and the catheter always came out the next morning, with no problems.

There are many successful surgery stories here, but like Beth said, those messages tend to get buried quickly. I am one of the success stories. No complications at all, very little pain, I only need prescription pain meds the first two days, and I'm now 6 weeks post-op and feeling fantastic!

Please try not to worry, and best of luck to you with your surgery and recovery!
Unread 02-01-2012, 08:34 AM

(had a great post composed and lost it grumble grumble)

Banana

I had the daVinci hysterectomy only on 1/18 and I did not have to come home with a cath. There was discussion that it was a possibility while I was in the hospital but the issue they were concerned about was not present so I was taken off it and sent home on 1/19.

I have been healing quite well over the past 2 weeks. I have 2 suggestions

1) be prepared for low or no appetite, this surprised me and it was the ladies on this site that told me "its normal". Get yourself from Slim Fast, Ensure, chicken broth or whatever you can use as a meal replacement. The not wanting to eat only lasted about a week or so. I still can't eat as much as I did before the surgery but I am back to wanting to eat on my normal schedule. The upshot is that I lost 5lbs post OP....

2) Make sure you have Netflix streaming account..daytime TV kinda sucks

Be Well
Unread 02-01-2012, 08:58 AM

I just wanted to chime in to echo what everyone else is saying! Catheters usually come out at the hospital. You will quite possibly have some swelling "down below" depending on a lot of factors and it may take a little time for you to urinate on your own, but that's perfectly normal, so if it happens, just relax and try again a little later. It's true that some women experience complications and post to get advice or simply vent, but it's also true that the women who aren't having problems don't need to post for advice! After your surgery, be sure to look for the recovery progress reports thread for your surgery week. Mine has been such a support! Best wishes to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register