Visiting the "Post -op" thread was not my best idea! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Visiting the "Post -op" thread was not my best idea! Visiting the "Post -op" thread was not my best idea!

Unread 02-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Re: Visiting the "Post -op" thread was not my best idea!

What everyone else said.

I'm one of those that had a complication free surgery and recovery. Dealing with some hormonal issues now, but for the most part I'm feeling great!

Like Anle said, make sure to visit the recovery progress reports thread for your surgery week. It's nice to compare notes with others at the same stage of recovery and to give and get advice and support. These women will come to be close friends over the following weeks.

Take care and Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2012, 11:11 AM

You shouldn't worry about things you can't control! I had my surgery a week ago today. Knew the possibilities and chose not too worry. I mean, you can't spend your energy on negative thinking. My surgery was full of complications. Laproscopic hysterectomy changed to abdominal hysterectomy on the table, suffered severed ureter, received blood transfusion because of anemia, and had to straight cath me a couple times beacause my bladder was slow to wake up. don't worry about it. whatever happens, you will be taken care of and you WON"T CARE WHAT HAPPENED. You'll care about how to get home and get on the road to recovery! I did not have to wear my cath home, but after experiencing them, they're no big deal. I had my initial cath taken out late the next day. But they want you up and moving as soon as you can and guess what? the bag comes with you! Yeah, it's gross, but it's also something to laugh about. Make your friends carry it when you do your laps around the nurses station! Seriously, it doesn't hurt. I "felt it" only because I felt I had to pee but couldn't release the muscles to pee. But that feeling only lasted a few hours and then I didn't feel anything. Taking it out didn't hurt. Having the straight cath placed didn't hurt either. The staff has done this stuff a lot and they will take great care of you!!!

The road is long. Don't get lost before you leave the driveway! You can do it Banana!
Unread 02-01-2012, 11:20 AM

Banana, I haven't read all of the responses but I fought id chin in to let you know that I understand your fears. I'm 2 days out from my tvh and finding it difficult to sit still.:} I feel really good. Also I didn't wake up with a cath. So I would avoid the post op threads.....that's what I did anyway. Had to for sanity purposes. But just so you know all of us are different and for me it was a smooth process and things are great! Just a good story for you. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Hugs and remember stay calm your a strong woman you can do this. Lots of love and positive energy sent your way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac4_11 View Post
Aww Banana.. I might be one of those lucky ladies this morning going home with one.. I doubt it though. They thought so late last night but so far so good this morning.. Don't over think it to much. I think that is what got me like this.. so worried about going. I did however tell them to stop my pain meds for a few hours and just give me an Ibprofen and that helped a ton..

Maybe all the meds while under surgery compounded with the meds after surgery had my bladder sleeping..
@GMAC Glad to see you are up and on the internet. Please give us an update soon

@Bananahater- I know that feeling it's like slowing down to see the accident on the side of the road. Then wondering why you looked ,right? Too much info but still you want and need to know about others experiences. ;/ for some reason. I'm praying for you guys and a for a quick recovery. Mine is still 11 days away. Hugs
Unread 02-01-2012, 01:31 PM

Thanks Flip Flop. Home now. No catheter either!! Just fighting off some pretty intense gas. But honestly.. Other then the catheter scare, this feels like previous laproscopic surgeries. Cant believe a hysterectomy was done..
Unread 02-01-2012, 04:14 PM

All the research done before my op was done by hubby so he knew what to expect. I went onto the post op pages for my post op week, which helped me enormously.

I am one that had a lovely text book easy op, and used this site for comparison and friendship.

I stayed in hospital for 4 days. The catheter was removed the following day, and I was able to pee straight away. My hospital likes patients to walk as soon as possible, so they removed the cath to allow me to do so.

I am sure you will be fine too.

When you consider how many ladies have this op every day, there are very few that have major following problems. There is lots of support here for those that do

Those that don't are like me, and use posts to help others, hopefully
Unread 02-01-2012, 06:35 PM

i didnt find this site for 1st 2 weeks after i had surgery.i wish i had.
if i hadnt have had 2 c-sections i wouldnt have known how important it is to get up and start moving around so soon after this is done.the hospital i went to was just horrible and i had to end up asking nurse when i was gonna be walked or if i could.no information on anything!
i was very surprised the amount of women that has wrote about being sent home with cath.in place.i didnt have this problem at all.
before i found this site i did a lot of trial and error cause i liked my dr. but even his own office kept me in the dark about what to do and what not to do.i even brought this up when i had to go back to office on jan. 13th after being released from his care.i tore vaginal muscle from just pushing vacummn cleaner from bedroom to living room.i asked nurse why wasnt i told about this and she acted like she got mad but i told her since this was a major surgery why they didnt give out pamplet or paperwork to let you know what to do and what not to do.but i am sorry but the truth is the truth!
i couldnt remember everything about my c-section aftercare cause last one was almost 17 years ago.
thank god for this site and all these caring women that help virtual strangers out thru this most frustrating and sometimes very painful period in their lives
Unread 02-01-2012, 07:16 PM

....I agree with everything that has already been said. It is not common for people to go home with a cath, but unfortunately, it does happen from time to time.

It is true that most of the posts in Post-op are posted because someone is having issues and they are looking for advice, but there are positive posts too. They are usually a few pages back, but they are there. The Hysterectomy stories is a great place to find positive posts as well (though not all of them so beware).

It is normal to be stressed right now. Just try to take a deep breath and remember everyone is different and there are success stories out there! I am one of the many.

to you and hoping you can get some rest soon!
Unread 02-02-2012, 09:20 PM

Thank you all so much for all the advice. I seem to be one of those people wh thinks they need to be prepared for anything. Sometimes (read most times), it causes more bad than good.
Athena, I was kinda hoping for the lost of appetite. I could stand to lose a couple of pounds. Hahaha!
I'm just ready to get this all over with so I have an excuse to sleep in!
You ladies are the reason I love this site so much.
Unread 02-03-2012, 12:46 AM

I am another success. I am 4 weeks post-op. I do have a possible UTI but I don't really consider it a complications, more an annoyance. I woke up with a cath and it was removed three hours after I arrived in my room. I did have a little trouble getting my bladder to fully empty but once I learned some techniques to help I was fine. They kept my IV on a little longer then normal just to help out the peeing which was fine by me as the bowl prep dehydrated me. By midnight I was peeing fine on my own and going allllllll night long, lol.

I did so much better with pain right after then I ever expected, I took Motrin in the hospital, finally give in and took a Percocet for a headache of all things (I have chronic sinus headaches). I also had a 30 minute drive home so they gave me another dose right before I left. We went to the pharmacy and a drive though. I expected to come home and sleep but I spent the evening on the couch hanging out with the family. I even was using the stairs. My worst pain of it all? Having to poop that first time. No lie, I was miserable.

As for sleeping in, I am exhausted! I swear I spend more time asleep then awake, but it's my body taking the time it needs to heal.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register