Scheduled dVH/RALH Swelly belly | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Swelly belly

I am starting to get things together for post-op and I am wondering can you ladies give me an idea of how long swelly belly normally lasts? I had just lost weight and didn't want to have to go out and buy bigger clothes again. I will be off 4 weeks and hoping it would be gone by then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2012, 10:17 AM
Re: Swelly belly

You're Doomed!

OK - maybe not. BUT - don't count on being swelly belly free for a while. There are some women in my date club who still are dealing iwht this issue 11 weeks post. I'm back into most of my regular clothes, with the exception of a couple pairs of jeans. Thankfully, I work from home and don't have to dress for public consumption all that often, so still wear my sweats a lot. But, then again, I did that pre-surgery anyway.

I've heard a few women say they got some nice maternity pants for work. Gives that little bit extra room for the mid-afternoon bulge. Consignment is a good way to go for these if you need to.

Good Luck!
Unread 02-01-2012, 10:50 AM

I've read many posts referring to the "swelly belly" and I'm not sure I know what that means. What causes the swelling and do you get it with all types of hysterectomy? I'm having a TVH and hope to go back to work somewhere from 2-4 weeks. Am I going to need new clothes? How much swelling are we talking about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2012, 12:35 PM

I was hoping that since it is a davinci I would escape some of the effects
Unread 02-01-2012, 12:39 PM

I would think that TAH would cause slightly more swelly belly than TVH. I also think it depends on the person some have it some dont from what I have read.
Unread 02-01-2012, 12:44 PM

they pump you full of gas and it does take a while to go down.I`m presuming that everything will be swollen internally whilst we heal which will add to the swelly belly.
I would say you will definatley need some very loose trousers yoga pants or something similar are good as they have alot of give in them.make sure you get them in a larger size. you will need underwear in a size or two up aswell.
Unread 02-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Swelly belly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pain nomo View Post
I was hoping that since it is a davinci I would escape some of the effects
I had a davinci 4 weeks ago... while the swelling has gone down, it's definitely still there. Activity seems to increase the swelling. It's very frustrating! I got some t-shirt type dresses from Old Navy and they have been the best thing for wearing out of the house. Also, dressier pajama style pants work well.
Unread 02-01-2012, 01:46 PM

I had a DaVinci 3 weeks ago and still wear comfy pants also. I have tried jeans but your belly is not only swollen but very tender as well. If you have some low rise jeans that button really low you might be ok but once you sit and they come up you are in trouble. I am dying to wear a pair of jeans but won't risk anything. Its about comfort not appearance.
Unread 02-01-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anle View Post
I had a davinci 4 weeks ago... while the swelling has gone down, it's definitely still there. Activity seems to increase the swelling. It's very frustrating! I got some t-shirt type dresses from Old Navy and they have been the best thing for wearing out of the house. Also, dressier pajama style pants work well.

Thx so much. Guess I will Get out of the land of denial and buy one or two pair for my return for work. Or raid my daughter's closet, she's almost two sizes larger
Unread 02-01-2012, 02:17 PM

The swelling doesn't come from your incision, in fact my incision area isn't what's swollen. It's sort of like an intertube around the lower portion of your abdomen where your uterus use to be. Even at 4 weeks, mine swells up with activity (including sitting at a desk) and recedes when I lower my activity level for a day or so. As someone aptly described it.....when you stand or sit upright for longer periods of time, gravity causes the tissue in the surgical area to collect fluids and swell up. Think about when you sprain your ankle. It swells up. If you keep walking on it before it heals it continues to swell. Healing from a hysterectomy takes many months if not a full year, hence the prolonged swelly belly.

Oh and stock up on the ice packs. I find they really help with the swelling.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register