Scheduled TAH Eatting - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-02-2012, 01:29 AM
Re: Eatting

I had an uncomplicated LAVH. I was allowed to eat as soon as I had good bowl sounds and was not nauseated. For lunch they gave me a liquid diet. For dinner I was able to order from the menu. I ordered pasta and when I told my husband what I ate he was sure I had brain damage. I never eat pasta from a restaurant, lol. It was a good call because my throat was super sore from the tube for a few days. I was craving a sandwhich but no way bread would go down.

Also, if you have a food allergy or intolerance double check (even triple check) with the food service staff. My records clearly stated lactose intolerance, as even did my food service tray receipt but there was a giant piece of cheese on top of my pasta.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2012, 02:23 PM

I only had my uterus removed, but i was on a liquid diet the entire time, the morning before discharge, i got a sturdier soup/cream soup, but other than that it was broth, jello, pop sicles, juice. i really didn't mind, because i was so nervous about being able to have a bowel movement. i actually stayed on a semi liquid diet after i came home, until i had my first bowel movement. in the hospital, it depends on the doctor's orders i suppose
Unread 02-02-2012, 02:59 PM

Donna: I'm sure your family will be able to bring food to you in the hospital.

wondering what kind of food I'll get in a Belgian hospital. Steak and frites? Flemmish stew? They don't even have JELL-O here!! I did what I always do when I know I'm going to be down and out: lay in a supply of - lemme hear it America!! Gingerale, applesauce, crackers, chicken soup and Jell-o...Right?? Except I had to drive two hours up to Antwerp to the American grocery store to procure the jell-o! sheesh. No jell-o. I mean, how does that even work???

Breakfast will be a croissant, yogurt and granola, because that's all you ever get for breakfast here. They don't know from eggs and bacon.

No matter where you are in the world, hospital food is how they get you to WANT to leave the hospital as quickly as possible.

:-)
Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2012, 03:23 PM

Pam, you might want to see if there is oatmeal or something as a back-up (or bring some instant with you) I couldn't eat bread for a few days after surgery my throat was too sore. I didn't even think about that or even know it was sore until I tried to eat the bread that came with dinner.
Unread 02-02-2012, 03:27 PM

Oh no, I hope I get to eat tomorrow. I haven't had anything since before 9;00 a.m. today as I am doing the bowel prep thing. I am already starving! I suppose the drugs will help to curb your appetite.
Unread 02-02-2012, 03:53 PM

Italy! yes!! I got some instant oatmeal as well in Antwerp (and StoveTop stuffing, and cake mix and ritz crackers, etc...:-)

Not sure how I would cook them in the hospital, but will have them for when I get home. (I'll be in for 6 days).

Thanks!
Unread 02-02-2012, 04:17 PM

Everything about my hospital care was outstanding............ except the food.

That's a bad memory! I was on the bland diet, but I was so nauseated that the only thing enabling me to keep anything down was the anti-nausea meds. The food would probably have been OK-ish otherwise. Soup, jelly & ice-cream (which came straight back up), egg dishes.
I'd brought some kiwifruit (you call them kiwis) from home for the sake of my bowels (brilliant for that!) and the hospital gave me some lemonade ice-blocks (as WE call them - popsicles??) and those were great. A visitor brought me some ginger beer (non-alcoholic!) and that was the best drink I had there.

It took me about 10 days to get any sort of appetite back.
Unread 02-02-2012, 04:43 PM

Why are you starting so early? What time is your surgery? Mine is at 9:30 and I was told to do the enmma 1 to 2 hours at bedtime.
  Quote:
Originally Posted by Elotta View Post
Oh no, I hope I get to eat tomorrow. I haven't had anything since before 9;00 a.m. today as I am doing the bowel prep thing. I am already starving! I suppose the drugs will help to curb your appetite.
Unread 02-02-2012, 05:23 PM

Donna, my surgery is probably around noon. My instructions were the ducolux tablets at noon and three and then to start drinking the gatorade and mirolax at six or sooner. No enema which I am thankful for. The concoction is not bad but I wished I would have gotten sugar free gatorade. I'm getting kind of light headed :- (
Unread 02-02-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elotta View Post
Donna, my surgery is probably around noon. My instructions were the ducolux tablets at noon and three and then to start drinking the gatorade and mirolax at six or sooner. No enema which I am thankful for. The concoction is not bad but I wished I would have gotten sugar free gatorade. I'm getting kind of light headed :- (
Man your lucky that you don't have to do the enema.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register