TAH deep vein thrombosis! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

deep vein thrombosis! deep vein thrombosis!

Unread 02-01-2012, 07:48 PM
deep vein thrombosis!

Waiting to get into the ultrasound to have it confirmed, but I had a DVT ten years ago and you never forget THIS feeling. D Dimer clot test came back positive as well, so there's a clot...somewhere. What a bummer. I was just starting to feel human again. I was dizzy and coughing so they CT scanned my chest - all clear of clots in the lungs. The waiting line is longer for the ultrasound machine, weirdly enough, so in the meantime I'm just sitting here watching my foot turn purple. I knew I was at higher risk because of the vein damage from the big DVT long ago, but I was being so very careful. Walking, elevating my feet, fish oil, lots of water. You can't prevent everything, I guess.

I AM interested, though - I have read a couple of articles linking very large fibroids to DVT. They press on your veins when they get large. Mine were huge. But so far all the docs have dismissed that as a possible cause of the first DVT. I know they'd prefer to keep running blood tests on my clotting factors. Any other ladies here with fibroids and DVT? or hyst and DVT? I'm in a lot of pain and scared and could use a little company here. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Re: deep vein thrombosis!

I'm so sorry you are going through this again. I developed a DVT and was admitted to the hospital at 3 weeks post op. My surgery was due to large fibroids, but that wasn't the cause of my DVT. Blood tests determined that I have a genetic predisposition to clots called Factor V Leiden. I'm homozygous, meaning I have it from both parents. By the way, neither of them knew they had it.

I remember the pain in my leg. You're right....it's something you don't forget. Sending
Unread 02-01-2012, 08:23 PM

Thank you! They tested me for all sorts of genetic conditions after No 1, but nothing. I did smoke two packs of Camel Ultra Wides every day, which i GUESS could have hurt. Thanks for the words of support - I read your story and I know you know how much it hurts and how scary it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2012, 11:29 AM

Hi ladies.. I am post op four days from my surgery. started having numbness and tingling in my left foot last night. Went to ER as told by my doc and my D dimer test came back positive.

Xray lungs showed nothing. Was given a shot of heprin sent home and told to come back at 11:30 this morning for sono of leg.

Sono showed all clear until tech got to back of kneecap.. did not show a clot but she called it questionable. Said the one area behind knee was running very slow. She said most likely they would not call it a DVT because there was not a clot but her concern was how slow it was moving and I still have the heprin in me. There was no pain with it. Again just numbness and tingling in foot. She said docs will call me shortly though.. Thoughts?
I want to re take sono once heprin not in system. ER doc last night said d dimer probably came back positive cause I am fresh out of surgery.. So scared right now..
Unread 02-04-2012, 11:53 AM

My two ultrasounds showed nothing. Don't know what to make of it. BUT, to answer your question, yes, the D dimer test can come back as a false positive after surgery. The DVT usually causes excruciating pain - like a continual rolling charley horse. But if they saw slowed blood flow, then there's some cause for concern. It may mean that you've caught the problem BEFORE it started getting bad, which is great!

Some things you can do at home: elevate your foot about your heart for 15 minutes at least twice a day. Apply damp heat (hot water bottle) to the painful spots. Ask your doctor if walking is advisable. Also ask your doctor when you can safely take an aspirin after the heparin shot - you do NOT want to take one too soon. Aspirin won't break up the clot, but it seems to reduce the risk of part of the clot traveling to the lungs. But don't do it until you get an OK from the Dr. Heparin is not something to mess around with.

I bet they told you to watch for shortness of breath or chest pain. Don't hesitate to call 911 if you feel like you can't breathe. Better overcautious than sorry.

I know this is really scary. I'm glad you are being cautious. Many, many people have DVTs and get through just fine. It sounds like your doctor is being cautious and watchful, so you are in good hands. Let us know how it goes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register