Hard time stting up? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hard time stting up? Hard time stting up?

Unread 02-02-2012, 04:18 AM
Hard time stting up?

DvTh on Jan 31st. I dont have a recliner so I have been mostly laying down or propped up in a bed but when I do actually go to "sit" up say on my bed it hurts.. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2012, 05:09 AM
Re: Hard time stting up?

Hi gmac. I hope you aren't experiencing too much pain or discomfort, and I'm sending you positive thoughts and a gentle .

As for sitting up in bed, I had my TAH on 12/14 and I didn't start sitting up in bed until week 3. Sitting puts more pressure on your pelvic area, which is likely why it is uncomfortable. I found staying horizontal as long as possible, while walking when I could for however long I could tolerate, worked well.

Hang in there and get lots of rest! :friends:
Unread 02-02-2012, 05:35 AM

Thank you Angke.. yes, way to much pelvic pressure trying to sit up. Gonna lay most of the days while getting enough walking in also to circulate blood. So afraid of clotting..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2012, 05:46 AM

Hi-
I suggest folding a thinner blanket (like the ones they give u at the hopital) really tight and place in on your belly when standing. Putting that pressure on your incision area helps tremendously!! Its gotten me through 5 sugeries. Let me know if it helps ya! Good luck
Unread 02-02-2012, 07:26 PM

I would roll on my side and push myself up with arms. I also slept on my couch for four weeks - I could basically roll of the couch!
Unread 02-02-2012, 07:56 PM

I lay at an angle. I cant lay flat and I cant sit straight up. Tons and Tons of pilllows behind and around me. When everyone leaves for the day I build a fort of pillows around me and lounge in my bed.
Unread 02-02-2012, 11:21 PM

Gmac, you are early days yet! I tried everyday to sit up to the table or upright on the couch/in bed for a little longer each time. Definitely spent more time reclined though! Take it easy.
Unread 02-02-2012, 11:34 PM

Thank you.. I am the type to get frustrated and discouraged easily..
Unread 02-03-2012, 12:17 AM

I'm most comfy at an angle, can't imagine It's good for my posture hence the back pain but It's so sore and very hard to get comfy, even surrounded by pillows htw on belly and one on base of back, we will get there xx
Unread 02-03-2012, 01:46 AM

I, too, grew to love the couch because I could roll (gingerly the first few weeks!!!!) onto the floor and then use the couch to get up. The bed (a platform bed with mattress) was a challenge. First, sleeping on my back was the worst (which meant I didn't get much sleep..okay, I didn't get any sleep most nights). If I was getting out on right side of bed, I pushed myself onto my right side with my left arm until I could swing my feet out there to the floor. There was pain and there was no way to avoid that given the reality of the surgery.

One trick I figured out (when I was able to sleep on my side) was that I could put a pillow in between my knees and it really took pressure off my mid-section (it's amazing how many muscles in one place are connected to muscles in another place!). Then I took one of my favorite fuzzy fleece blankets, rolled it up, and lodged it in my stomach area closer to the bed so that it sort of supported my stomach that way. I was very fortunate...my loving fuzzy, furry four-legged daughter (Sophie the dog) just seemed to know what I needed and she would stretch out right up against my back in that position so I wouldn't tip backwards.

I do so love the couch....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register