ultrasound questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ultrasound  questions ultrasound questions

Unread 02-02-2012, 09:33 AM
ultrasound questions

I have been diagnosed with Adeno, clinical diagnoses, just from describing and feeling my stomach, and am scheduled for surgery March 26th. I have my ultrasound today, in about 2 hours. Can anyone tell me what they are likely looking for? I think at one point he mentioned checking for endo as well, can they tell this from ultrasound? and confirmation of the adeno?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Re: ultrasound questions

My gyn said the only way to diagnose adenomyosis was post-op pathology. Anything else is guesswork based on process of elimination, but maybe there are some radiologists out there getting better at reading results.

I think the ultrasound is the first step and others will follow depending on what the ultrasound reveals.

Take it one step at a time and get a second and maybe even a third opinion.

Good Luck!
Unread 02-02-2012, 10:16 AM

My doc sent me for the pelvic ultrasound due to the excess amount of bleeding every month and periods longer than normal...I figured I was going through menopause since I am 51...she wanted to check for cysts and other issues. Results of ultrasound appeared to be numerous cysts and fibroid tissue as well as a "mass" that appeared to be trying to attach itself to the side of the uterine wall and abdominal muscle...long story short I was then referred to another doctor, and she suspected adenmyosis, and I opted for total hysterectomy, which I had done on Dec. 30, 2011. Glad I did, when I went for my 4 week post-op check last week, the pathology report for all the "parts" from surgery that were sent off did in fact confirm adenmyosis.
If you have very good doctors, as I did, trust their findings of the ultrasound. If you are not feeling 100% comfortable with the results of the ultrasound, get a second opinion, that is your right!
Personally, I have no regrets on going through with a TAH, I am feeling really great other than the normal post-op issues of hot flashes, brain fog and exhaustion, which from seeking advice on this site, appears that those issues will smooth out as time goes on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2012, 01:25 PM

In my case for the US they just wanted to see if anything showed (and make my insurance happy about sending me to a gyn). My ultrasound showed a single smallish fibroid which didnt really explain my crazy bleeding. However, my post surgical pathology report showed multiple fibroids and a chronically inflamed cervix. That explained my bleeding.
Unread 02-02-2012, 01:37 PM

I'm so scared now that they will not see anything and the DR will cancel the surgery. That they will think I'm just being a wimp, or a big suck. I've never felt as hopeful that things could be better as I have since I met this gyno. I'm so scared they are going to take that away.
Unread 02-02-2012, 01:51 PM

My dr. suspected adeno so I was sent for an MRI she said that is the only test that is most accurate for eliminating other issues and showing adeno. I had ultrasounds they showed fibroids when in fact i have adeno. Only true way of knowing is path report.
Lot of luck!!
Unread 02-02-2012, 02:02 PM

I felt the same way before my many tests. I was worried it was all in my head ;-). But it turns out that yes I am sick and now I am going in for my da Vinci hysterectomy on the 8th of this month. With mine they were not able to see my endo with an ultra sound but they were able to see my fibroids. They are only able to confirm endo with a lap. Good luck and trust yourself! You know your body better than anyone else ever will!!
Unread 02-02-2012, 03:30 PM

my adeno was diagnosed with an internal ultrasound that was done by a cranky lady that had to be told several times that it doesnt matter how long the wand is, it can only go in so far!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register