Uterine biopsy questions--had one today--complicated and painful | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Uterine biopsy questions--had one today--complicated and painful Uterine biopsy questions--had one today--complicated and painful

Unread 02-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Uterine biopsy questions--had one today--complicated and painful

I'm scheduled for a hysterectomy on the 13th (removal of uterus and cervix), due to a massive amount of fibroids + previous bouts with cervical pap tests being positive.

I had the uterine biopsy today and was completely unprepared. I thought it would feel like a pap test. I have an extremely high tolerance for pain, but this was more unbearable than childbirth.

They couldn't get to my cervix so they had to dialate it. From that point on, I was in EXCRUCIATING pain. Is it normal not to get a block, or pain meds before they have to dialate???????

I want to make sure that this doctor's office isn't lax before I get my hysterectomy. This experience left me in SO much pain that I'm scared now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Re: Uterine biopsy questions--had one today--complicated and painful

I am so sorry you had to go through this. I had a D&C Biopsy due to post-menepausal bleeding. URO-GYNO tried to do it in the office, but due to my prolapse, he couldn't get into the cervix. My Gyno did the biopsy at a surgery center, and I was under a general anesthetic. I thought that was a bit much, but maybe not! I just had a slight cramping afterward. I am not sure why they did it to you without any anesthesia, except possibly because you were there and they just wanted to get it done. You always have the option of a second opinion.

I did have a D&C after a miscarrage a few years ago without any meds, and it wasn't pleasant so I do understand. Hope everything goes well for you on the 13th.
Unread 02-02-2012, 06:28 PM

Thank you for your quick response! I'm in shock that they didn't stop the procedure and either give me something to block the pain that was going to ensue, or reschedule it at a hospital. I'm re-thinking having the hysterectomy done next week with this office now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2012, 06:41 PM

I had a biopsy in the gyn office much like you with the cervix dilation. He did use lidocaine to numb the area slightly but I cannot remember exactly what he numbed. He warned me it would hurt / pinch and he was RIGHT. It made me jump even though I knew I would feel it. I got the impression that the numbing agent was to help but was not really expected to prevent pain too much.

I was surprised by the amount of bleeding afterward. I wasn't expecting anything significant when I stood but then I saw what he was warning me about and why he gave me a massive pad to wear home.

Maybe others can come along and give you a couple more reference points. Good Luck!
Unread 02-02-2012, 06:54 PM

My GYN tried to do a uterine biopsy on me in his office. It was weird because I wasn't expecting it and I didn't think you would do that on the spur of the moment. He was unable to obtain a biopsy and his attempts hurt. Strange hat he'd try that in his office, when all my cervical biopsies have been done in the hospital.
Unread 02-02-2012, 06:59 PM

Thank you for your responses. I, too, would think they'd stop and schedule it in a hospital. They couldn't reach thru my cervix, and she was warning me of how painful it would be thereon. She kept apologizing. It just didn't seem right to me.
Unread 02-02-2012, 07:47 PM

I am so sorry you had to go thru that pain. I had a uterine biopsy thru the cervix and I could feel the pinch and some pulling but it was not unbearable. She did say if they could not go thru the cervix I would be rescheduled, I guess for an out patient procedure which seems like what should have been done for you. I am so glad that part is behind you now
Unread 02-02-2012, 08:51 PM

My GYN knew I'd had a previous attempt. I took ibuprofen in advance and got a block. It was uncomfortable but no pain. I'm not sure why they didn't try a block for you, it seemed to not take long to do. I hope you have better experience in future.
Unread 02-02-2012, 09:12 PM

Thank you both. Had I read up on it and saw ALL of the possible outcomes, maybe I'd know enough to speak up and stop it if I needed the teneculum, which I did. I found out that only 15% of women need it, if they can't grasp the cervix. THAT was the most painful part, and it prolonged the whole procedure. I'll talk to my doctor and convey that I think it's unacceptable to do that procedure with the teneculum without being either mildly sedated or under anesthesia. Thanks so much for your input!!
Unread 02-02-2012, 09:43 PM

Our expierances sound almost the same. Several people told me I'd be ok and it wasn't bad at all. I wasn't prepared at all. Pressure, pain, cramping and way more bleeding than expected. I hope your feeling better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register