Uterine biopsy questions--had one today--complicated and painful - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Uterine biopsy questions--had one today--complicated and painful Uterine biopsy questions--had one today--complicated and painful

Unread 02-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Re: Uterine biopsy questions--had one today--complicated and painful

Gee, Elotta, I'm the opposite!! I heard from my doctor that it shouldn't hurt, so I expected it to be easy. Instead, I was unprepared. I WISH I would have known the possible outcome so I'd be prepared!!! Glad yours didn't hurt though!

P.S.: This reminds me of labor-------I'd only heard great stories, so when I had my baby (30 hours of labor), I thought I was dying! I wish I would have known all of the possible scenarios!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2012, 03:38 PM

The doctor told me my biopsi was so painful because of my fibroid being so large. I had a uterus biopsi 4 years ago and it was nowhere near as painful as this one. I also felt like I was having labor. Worst pain ever but normal I guess. I also had a internal ultrasound that hurt, even my ovaries.
My date in Next Tuesday, Feb. 14th
Unread 02-10-2012, 03:51 PM

Ahh, muffn, that's what my doctor told me too!!! I just wish she would have given me a heads-up BEFORE the biopsy, and maybe even given me the choice to do it at the hospital! Ugh......... The ultrasound (internal) didn't hurt me at all, strangely enough... What women go through is just unreal, huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2012, 03:56 PM

I just can't believe they don't give us something for this kind of procedure. You are right about going through so much being women. I just hope this is it for me and looking forward to a new me
Unread 02-10-2012, 04:01 PM

I told the doctor doing the procedure on me that if this had to be done on men, you'd bet your bottom dollar there would be a way to numb their pain!!!

Good luck with your next step muffn!!
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:49 PM

I had an in office uterine biopsy about 6 months ago. I was terrified to the point of crying right there before they started. It took 15 minutes to get through the cervix, and he saw right away that I have cervical stenosis. He said it was slammed shut. He told me we could stop, but I told him to keep trying since I'm there. He said he would have to dilate my cervix, but used some kind of numbing spray. The actual biopsy once he got the cervix dilated was not bad - just minor cramping.

He used a small sucking tube thing. There was no scraping.

I feel so bad for those that have had a horrible experience with it. If I would have read this before I had mine, I think I would have passed out from fear. It would not have been done. I would suspect that fibroids or varicose type veins in the uterus would make this procedure very painful!

I had a cervical biopsy 22 years ago - now THAT was some kind of painful, and I was indeed traumatized! I was just 21 years old and in the Marine Corps. I was at a naval hospital. I about jumped off the table - crying! Afterwards I apologized for being such a horrible patient and you know what he told me? "It's not your fault, the instrument was not sufficiently sharpened." O_O !!! WHAT! I wanted to tell him to let me cut out his anus with a butter knife and then tell me it won't hurt! How dare they do that to me with an improperly sharpened instrument. (rant over. as you can see, I was indeed traumatized and it still gets to me)
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristilou View Post
I am so sorry you had to go through this. I had a D&C Biopsy due to post-menepausal bleeding. URO-GYNO tried to do it in the office, but due to my prolapse, he couldn't get into the cervix. My Gyno did the biopsy at a surgery center, and I was under a general anesthetic. I thought that was a bit much, but maybe not! I just had a slight cramping afterward. I am not sure why they did it to you without any anesthesia, except possibly because you were there and they just wanted to get it done. You always have the option of a second opinion.

I did have a D&C after a miscarrage a few years ago without any meds, and it wasn't pleasant so I do understand. Hope everything goes well for you on the 13th.
My doctor did the same thing.
I had to go to the hospital and be put under general anesthesia.
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:58 PM

FourSeasons: Oh my gosh--21 years old?? I can't imagine! I can't imagine how worried you were this 2nd time!!

My cervix was "hiding" too and she took a few minutes to try to get the instrument thru it. I got no numbing spray when she dialated me. I'm so happy that the spray apparently worked for you and it wasn't traumatic! You described your first experience a lot like mine. I felt like getting off the table and just crying (well, actually, I did--and I cried all the way home, and remained in pain for at least an hour). As I said, the doctor said something about, "well, when you're assaulted like you just were, you might bleed..........." and I was stunned by the word 'assaulted' but that's exactly how I felt.
Unread 02-10-2012, 11:29 PM

I had something called a hysteroscopy done in my GYN's office, but she is also considered an outpatient surgery center. It was scheduled in advance. I was told that I would get a pill to take the night before to dilate my cervix, I was told to take 800 mg ibuprofen for 2 days prior to the procedure. I was also told to take 2 xanax prior to the procedure and have a driver. I also took the rest of the day off work. I was bleeding when I got there so I kinda guessed it wouldn't be successful but since that was the reason I was having it done, (for non stop bleeding) they went ahead and my doc who is also a surgeon, gave me the shot (which was horribly painful) and then they went in thru the cervix with the microscope, but couldn't see anything b/c of the bleeding and did the biopsy. I screamed during the procedure and even asked my DD if she had heard me in the waiting room when I got out. I stayed home the rest of the day. The next morning I had to get out of the house to work early (I'm a property manager and had inspections) I got to the second house and had such a gush I spoiled my clothing and had to rush straight home. I called the office and they had me come in. Did an exam and sent in a script for Megestrol (which I'd already been taking for the heavy bleeding) Sent me to the lab to test for anemia, and home for the rest of the day. Needless to say. From now on I will insist out being heavily sedated. It's more expensive to do it that way, but to me it's worth it after that experience.
Unread 02-10-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergdorfBlonde View Post
Thanks Kate! I thought it was just me! I addressed this with my doctor yesterday. I told her that I was disappointed that her office didn't advise me of ALL possible outcomes, and that they didn't suggest motrin and/or a sedative + something so soften my cervix. She said that the majority of people aren't affected, and that the cervix is so little that it really shouldn't "hurt". She also said that because my uterus is FILLED with fibroids, that's what she thinks made me hit the roof. I don't know...... I'm hoping she's more caring with my hysterectomy on Monday!! I'll probably choose another gyno if not! Ooh, and she said, "If you requested it to be done at the hospital we would have complied," Well, I had no idea I could request that, nor did I think it would hurt like a motha! LOL. I told her that I'd get the word out to EVERY woman I know not to get this done in an office!!!!!!!! Sorry you went thru the same pain.
I actually got a huge packet of information before the procedure, including instructions to bring my living will and pre and post instructions! I'm shocked you didn't get anything like that!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register