Uterine biopsy questions--had one today--complicated and painful - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Uterine biopsy questions--had one today--complicated and painful Uterine biopsy questions--had one today--complicated and painful

Unread 02-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Re: Uterine biopsy questions--had one today--complicated and painful

Quote:
Originally Posted by losingitall View Post
Hi,
I too am scheduled for a hysterectomy in Mar and went thru one uterine biopsy several years back, I truly thought I was going to pass out. To me it was much worse than childbirth and was surprised that my Dr would put me thru that without pain relief. I found out today I have to have another one next week. They told me to take 800 mgs of Mortin one hr before. I am not sure I am going to put myself thru this again. I don't know what to do but after the first one, not sure I will do a repeat.
I was told to take the 800 mg Ibuprofen for two days twice a day prior and to take 2 xanax before I left the house, and to have a driver. That still hardly helped but god forbid I didn't even do that much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2012, 09:25 AM

JJ, no I didn't!! Your experience sounds horribly familiar to other women on this thread. I'm naive enough to find this all unfathomable to me. Hope everything is okay with you now. At least your dr properly medicated you beforehand, but nothing can prepare you for how much pain the procedure will actually cause. Hugs!!
Unread 02-11-2012, 02:50 PM

My doctor always calls the anesthesiologist and has the more painful stuff done as an outpatient.

I am really thankful that he is sensitive to that.
I will admit that I have insurance and so there are more choices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2012, 12:20 AM

SO glad you wrote!
I also had the most painful (child birth like) biopsy, and removal of a polyp, in the oz(sp) of cervix.
When Doc told me I was pre cancerous, and need a total, First thing I asked was, what about PAIN MANAGEMENT?
I honestly am not too trusting of this guy,
I was biopsied in the 90's no pain,
I was lasered for HPV, under general (knock out) no pain after.
I am due to go in Mar 8th, Not looking forward to it.
I asked THREE GP's if they knew anything about my Doctor, All were
silent, (??????)
Only my Pharmacist said he had a good rep. oh whoa.
Unread 02-13-2012, 12:22 AM

I'm mad, I am 55, maybe my Doc thinks I am unable to feel pain.
He said, There, there, Chiding me, Yeah right,
I was in a cold sweat, I think he may have felt it when he finally touched my arm to comfort me.
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Don't be afraid of having an endometrial biopsy

Honestly. ladies, I just had an endometrial biopsy done this morning and I'm being totally honest when I say it was a piece of cake, even though I had myself sick with fear after reading some posts online. It felt like having a pap test with just a little added area to check. But I didn't have pain and I didn't have cramps. I am a 62 years old woman who also had cryosurgery many years ago. Both those factors could have made it more difficult to do the biopsy, but they didn't. I know everyone's experience is different, but I was just so shocked at having it be nothing bad at all, that I felt strongly to come on here and tell my story. Please don't be afraid and make yourself sick about it like I did for days before the test. I'm a big baby when it comes to this, and I had no problems with the endometrial biopsy at all.
Unread 02-22-2012, 01:02 PM

What I would like to know is why do doctors think that just because there is a natural opening into your insides that they can just use it like a door, or a door mat?!?! How many times do you hear of them weeding something through the opening in the penis to check something out, do a biopsy, or whatever? They'd never even think of it, let alone do it with no meds. Barbaric! That's what women's medicine is. It makes me sick. I feel so bad for all of you! We have to speak up more to change this. Not on my list of pre-op things to do yet, but I meet with my surgeon on 3-2. I'll let you know then!
Unread 02-22-2012, 01:48 PM

I had an endometrial biopsy done in November, and it was indeed painful for me as well!
I have cervical pains all the time, though, so I thought maybe it was just me. I didn't have any numbing spray, and he didn't dilate my cervix. But I was just 2 days out from a nasty 14day long period. He went back through my cervix 4 times to get samples!! I had severe abdominal and back cramps for 2 days afterwards. Not fun!
Unread 02-22-2012, 01:50 PM

Hi there,

I had a uterine biopsy done 3 weeks ago. VERY painful, yes! I told the doctor afterwards that at least childbirth pain stopped as soon as the baby was born....and this was NOT that!

They can't numb the area or anything before the biopsy unfortunately. It was a surprise procedure after having a Pap done because of ongoing issues. I'm having my surgery tomorrow.

When all is said and done after the biopsy, if you don't have a pad with you, ask the nurse for one. You should experience at most, spotting to light bleeding for about a day which is normal because they've just made a "cut" into you. If your bleeding gets heavy or prolonged, let the doctor know.

My doctor wrote me a script for some pain killers to get me through that day and the next day if I needed it. You will experience some moderate to severe cramping for a few hours at least.

Don't be afraid to cry if it hurts... I did. I had no clue that it would hurt like that, but the procedure only lasts a minute or two...depending on how many samples he collects. My doctor collected 3 for biopsy.

Just make sure you take the rest of your day to lay down and rest. Take advantage of something for pain.

But, no your doctor's office was not being lax. There's just no getting around it. It does hurt, and the hurt will go away... sorry you had to go through it, as I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Gentle hugs and hope you feel better soon.
Unread 02-22-2012, 07:54 PM

Anne: Good luck. At least you're armed with information in case you need a biopsy and you can opt to have it done in a hospital. Also now you know it can be very painful. Where they get the schpeal that, "it'll hurt a little more than a pap test," is beyond me!!!!

Brightfrogs: Sounds like you've been thru enough too!

lava: Yeah, I thought that at least after childbirth, I got a cute baby. I got nothing but shocking pain and discomfort after this.........

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register