How long after surgical menopause before symptoms start occurring??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long after surgical menopause before symptoms start occurring??? How long after surgical menopause before symptoms start occurring???

Unread 02-03-2012, 06:11 AM
How long after surgical menopause before symptoms start occurring???

Would anyone know... How long after surgical menopause do symptoms start?

Hubby is wondering when I am going to turn into a raging menopausal person. His mother was raging... and still having symptoms (hot flashes being the worse) close to 14 years after starting menopause. Agh. The day after surgery she sat here telling me that I will be begging for HRT before the year is over because everything is that bad.

I don't want HRT. Everything I am seeing and what the doc is telling me that HRT prolongs the symptoms and extends everything out. I see that with MIL and her sister.

I googled this and everything I am finding is stating immediately.

But I would rather know from people who have experience than what medical websites are stating.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2012, 07:06 AM
Re: How long after surgical menopause before symptoms start occurring???

Surgical menopause occurs when you have both of your ovaries removed. It happens immediately though no all women go onto HRT. Some have unbearable symptoms, others do not.

Some women go into menopause much earlier than normal even if they keep their ovaries, others who kept their ovaries have no menopausal symptoms until they reach the age of natural menopause (late 40's - early 50's). It's different with every woman, though there is some evidence that women with hysterectomies even when they keep their ovaries are more likely to go into menopause on the early side rather than later.

HRT is a highly personal decision. Some women are fine without it, others feel like their quality of life is greatly disminished and really need the relief from unbearable symptoms. I wouldn't worry about it until you start getting symptoms. At that point you can decide.
Unread 02-03-2012, 07:10 AM

Yes, I understand...

I had BSO last friday... and while I understand women are different. We were also wondering how SOON symptoms can start appearing after SURGICAL menopause???

One woman responded somewhere else that her symptoms started appearing 3 days post-op.

I am a week post op. So, I am trying to figure out what to really expect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2012, 07:13 AM

Sorry, i didn't see that you had the BSO last week, your profile says kept ovaries....

I started having symptoms the day after surgery.
Unread 02-03-2012, 07:24 AM

Im trying to change that

Did a TLH 19 months ago then had that done last week.

Thank you,
Unread 02-03-2012, 10:17 AM

I had symptoms almost immediately. An ERT patch was placed on my hip shortly after I got to my room after the tah/bso, but I still started with the hot flashes. Mood swings followed a few weeks later.

I can happily say that today that is all but a memory. It did take time and patience.

As you already know, everyone is different. I know some women who never had many symptoms.

Unread 02-03-2012, 12:07 PM

I started having symptoms 5 days post op! I am now on HRT!!!!
Unread 02-03-2012, 01:40 PM

Thanks everyone... It has been a week now and the strangest thing that I am experiencing is that I keep freezing and I am cold all the time. But that is all for now.
Unread 02-03-2012, 01:48 PM

I had the same thing for the first few months after my tah/bso. I would hot flash, than I would get so cold my teeth would literally start to chatter. It did get better.
Unread 02-06-2012, 10:15 AM

I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I had surgery, (including removing both ovaries) June 1, but didn't start having symptoms (hot flashes) till 3 or 4 months later. In early December my hot flashes started getting more frequent and more intense, and now i'm getting 10-12 pretty severe ones a day and through the night. I'm quite determined not to have to resort to HRT, so I'm trying to identify triggers and manage the flashes with lifestyle changes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register