How long after surgical menopause before symptoms start occurring??? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long after surgical menopause before symptoms start occurring??? How long after surgical menopause before symptoms start occurring???

Unread 02-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Re: How long after surgical menopause before symptoms start occurring???

I had my hysterectomy in March, 2011. In September of 2011, he took out the last ovary. I didn't have symptoms for about 6 weeks. I was put on a low dose estrogen patch, but it didn't work for a various of reasons. I am now on progesterone for a few months, and it seems to be helping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2012, 12:45 PM

Wondering same thing...I had BSO on wed and started premarin that day..only 3 days out but no change noted yet....sure feels good not to have the aching left side and bladder pain though!
Unread 02-17-2012, 01:53 PM

I think the bottom line is there is no set time - Some women experience it immediately following total hysterectomy and others sometime later on. I am three weeks out from TLH-BSO and don't feel any different mood-wise than I did before and do not have hot flashes. In many ways I feel better because I am so excited to have all my bothersome parts no longer there I am finding falling asleep harder than before my surgery, but I attribute that to my relative inactivity (off work, not running around like I usually do, etc). My mom had a TAH at 45 and swears she didn't have any symptoms until 1.5 yrs later, and said her hot flashes were not that bad (hoping that is hereditary haha), though I know she had some depression related to the menopause too but she's been fine for a long, long time since then. My gyn and nurse practioner both told me I would crash immediately following removal of my ovaries, but it hasn't happened yet. Take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2012, 01:55 PM

I think it's an individual thing ... It took 1.5 weeks for me to use up my body's estrogen stores and need an increased dose.
Unread 02-17-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneesoileau View Post
Wondering same thing...I had BSO on wed and started premarin that day..only 3 days out but no change noted yet....sure feels good not to have the aching left side and bladder pain though!
Hope all goes smoothly for you!
Unread 02-17-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinagrl42 View Post
I am three weeks out from TLH-BSO and don't feel any different mood-wise than I did before and do not have hot flashes. In many ways I feel better because I am so excited to have all my bothersome parts no longer there I am finding falling asleep harder than before my surgery,
Me also... 3 weeks today

I also don't feel any different mood-wise. Ok, maybe that is wrong. I do feel more even keel or level. I felt more swings before.

No hot flashes yet.

But am having a hard time sleeping. Falling asleep is not an issue... but I wake about midnight and am wide awake at least until 3 or 4 in the morning.

I am also not taking HRT.
I was told to avoid chocolate, soda and caffeine. I don't know if that has made a difference or not. Since I am not having any issues... I am going with the idea that it is helping
Unread 12-01-2012, 12:13 AM

Just finding this post, Sobogal- did those symptoms ever come?
Unread 12-01-2012, 01:28 AM

Wondering the same thing! Had both ovaries out on Wednesday and was told to prepare for immediate menopause. So far....nothing. But I don't want to be caught off guard!!
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:11 AM

I had my tah/bso in 2010. about 5 days post op I broke out into teeny,tiny zits all over my face and neck. I also had and still have what I cold flares very rarely hot flashes. But its been very mild. I'm not a raging ***** or anything either. I'm not on HRT. My doc said that normally, if youre going to have severe symptoms they start within a wewk.
Unread 12-02-2012, 11:44 AM

I am 4 months out (no hrt) and the symptoms are just now starting to regularly kick in. When they do they are pretty mild. I had one afternoon about a month post op where I think every possible symptom happened all together. For awhile after that I had the occasional warm fuzzy.

For a couple of weeks now I have moved into both hot and cold flashes, a bit more moody, and some memory stuff. Oh, and I can't sleep more than 3 hours consecutively. Really most everything is an inconvenience...except for not sleeping. That is, and from the start was, a huge problem. Working w/ doc to find right med combo. I'm bipolar and need to be careful not to trigger a manic bout.

All in all I am doing well and just taking it as it comes

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register