Scheduled TLH Feb 6th looming and I am getting scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feb 6th looming and I am getting scared Feb 6th looming and I am getting scared

Unread 02-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Feb 6th looming and I am getting scared

Hi ladies

My op is on the 6th Feb - this Monday. Surgeon is going for keyhole option. I havent posted in ages as I kept thinking (hoping!) it would be postponed. I thought I was fine but now it is almost here I am having nightmares.

My mum had a hysterectomy but she died from cancer two years ago. Usually she would the first one I would call but cant do that now. I feel like this now lol

I have three kids (8,4 and 2) and no family support nearby although sisters are great on email and phone. (they live in different country). My hubby is trying but given he thought having a hysterectomy was having your tubes tied, I am not too hopeful he knows whats involved. I have tried telling him and giving him stuff to read but he is a bit of a head in the sand type guy. He is great and has been very patient but .................

I feel I am totally unprepared although I am trying to concentrate on the fact that this is the cure for adenomyosis, my surgeon is fantastic and lovely and really easy to talk to so I am doing the right thing.

I guess I just needed to "talk" to someone else who had been there and done that and was now doing great.

Thanks

Meg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Re: Feb 6th looming and I am getting scared

Hi Meg,

I had my TAH on December 13th. I understand about the nightmares - it's such a stressful time and you can drive yourself crazy with the "what ifs". I can honestly tell you the waiting before surgery is the hardest part.

I woke up after surgery and thought "whew - now that's over I can move forward". Don't get me wrong, the first few days were "uncomfortable". I don't want to say painful because the pain meds were wonderful and I really wasn't in agony - just sore. I left the hospital 2 days after surgery and only took over the counter pain meds once I was home - I didn't like feeling so dopey. The first week or two was sore, but as long as I took my time getting up off the couch I managed. I have family close by, but they were at work and I live alone. It was nice when they would come by to make me something to eat - but I was ok during the day doing it on my own. It's now almost 8 weeks post op and I've been back at work for 2 weeks and I feel great!

I guess what I'm trying to say is the pre-op for me was worse than the post-op! The stress before was worse than the recovery after.

I hope some of that helps ease your mind a little - but I know it's hard. Best wishes to you on your journey - you'll do great!
Unread 02-04-2012, 10:19 AM

the waiting is the worst as you imagine all sorts of things, as for hubby, see if the dr can talk to him and tell him exactly what you are gonna need, the rest, the help etc. sometimes it takes the hubby a little bit to actually click in on what your needs are . also explain to your kids that mommy is going to need some help for a bit and they have to nurse you just like you did when they are sick,

try and get your area prepared, with pillow, games, books, crafts, healthy snacks, etc. the hardest part will be your 2 yr old, not really understanding why you can not pick them or sit on you, however prepare a spot next to you where they can crawl up and be close to you make a game out of it for them

wishing you the best of luck see you on the other side
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2012, 11:10 AM

thank you guys :-)

Will let you all know how it goes

Now wonder if I could eat some icecream????
Unread 02-04-2012, 12:46 PM

I too am going in on Monday. Is there anywhere on this website that I could print off a sheet for my husband. I've tried to explain that I will be bed bound for a while as I won't be able to do all sorts of things, and reading so much here I'm going to be able to do a lot less than I thought... jelly belly, putting on socks... I'm getting scared now!
Unread 02-04-2012, 02:26 PM

I also lost my mom from cancer three years ago. I know you want her now, but you can get some great support from this site. My DVH is Feb. 17th and I am also scared! Your husband can go to a web site called misterhystersister for some helpful information. Good luck and remember to breath!! And by all means - EAT SOME ICE CREAM!!! See you on the other side.....
Unread 02-05-2012, 05:38 AM

Thanks very much everyone

@lexiloo - someone gave me a link to misterhystersisters for my husband - not sure he read it but maybe your would. http://www.misterhystersisters.com/f...hreadid=152196

good luck on Monday :-)

@nonna I am sorry to hear about your mum. Its weird - I have kids of my own but at times like these I really miss her reassuring presence.

We have had snow here this morning - only a little but the whole world grinds to a halt here when the snow hits. Maybe the op will be cancelled after all.
Unread 02-05-2012, 08:04 PM

I know how you feel. My surgery is Wednesday two days after yours! I'm waking at 3 in the morning with anxiety. Best to you!
Unread 02-05-2012, 08:22 PM

It will be okay I went through it twice first uterus removed at 28 second ovaries on Dec 13 2011 it will be okay everything will be just fine just do what they tell you take it easy . Remember every week after surgery gets better .

Praying for you it will be alright .
Unread 02-05-2012, 09:01 PM

All - don't be scared! I had my total lapro hysterectomy Jan 18th and I can tell you that you will be fine! The things that got us all to this point - huge fibroids in my case all over - are scarier (really). I lost my mother 2 years ago March and I really missed her, but she was with me all along! I had great doctors and great friends - and when someone asks how they can help you, have an answer ready! I have a wonderful husband but we have old cheese and an apple left for food :-) I gave my friend a grocery list and cash a couple days ago and she was thrilled to have something tangible to do!

Take care up front so you won't be down long. I have no regrets. Stay on this board and you will find any answer you are looking for - and tons of support! It 's so great to learn there's nothing new under the sun - someone has "been there done that" and can tell you you'll be fine... because you will be!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register